mastectomy after 2nd failed WLE

Hi, I have just found out that I now need a mastectomy (with an implant inserted at the same time) after 2 failed WLE due to unclear margins. I had a grade 2, stage 1, 2cm lump removed with no node involvement however there appears to be Microscopic pr cancerous DCIS floating around hence the need for the mastectomy. Has anyone experienced a similar situation & how did you find the mastectomy? I have been told it is a 2 you op(skin sparing) where they leave the nipple & insert the implant underneath the breast bone muscle. I am more worried about having massive drains hanging out afterwards! I would appreciate anyone’s experience with this type of surgery, aftercare etc? Thank you. Sonia xx

Hi Sonia

Sorry you ended up with mx after two failed WLE. I actually wanted mx and after first failed WLE they agreed - after mx it turned out there would never have been a clear margin because, as in your case, it turned out that all the other cells were in the process of changing (benefit of hindsight I suppose).  Made me feel the WLE was a waste of time - could just have had one op!  Did not find the mx too much of a problem (have actually had two now because later a problem turned up the other side).  

On both occasions I had the drains removed before I left hospital - at the point when they thought enough fluid had drained to mean that this would be OK (they were measuring it).  I was keen to get out but not keen to leave with the drains so it was fine by me!  I did have to go back a few times to have seromas drained (particularly on one side) but I don’t think that was anything to do with timing of having the drains removed as very little fluid was draining when they were removed and it took time to build up  - apparently it frequently happens (and can even happen again months later - luckily not in my case).

I should note that I did not have any form of reconstruction.  I am not sure if this might make a difference in terms of how long you need the drains in - it could do.  Hopefully someone else will be along who has had implants.

Best of luck.  Hope it all goes well.

Thank you for your msg Somerset. I guess you also have a,bit of reassurance that the cancer is less likely to come back? Did you have radiotherapy afterwards? I have been told there is a very good chance they wont have to do it now.
Were you in much pain afterwards? They are going to use the same incision under my breast where they did the WLE so I guess it should be farely hidden & neat
Thanks for sharing your experience with me

Sonia

I had the op you are having in Feb 15, with pigskin mesh supporting the implant. I was in hospital for 2 nights, but sat up eating within 2 hours of coming back from recovery. For the first few days/weeks it is quite painful to be upright, sitting or standing because everything pulls on the chest wall muscle, so you have to build that up gradually. I had 2 drains to start with, they usually give you a little bag to carry them round in, one was taken out before I went home the other was in for a week. Make sure you do the exercises they give you once it’s ok to do so as you have to really work on regaining underarm mobility. The implant feels a bit like a football for a long time and you will be very aware of it and have twinges for well over a year, but I can say that now 18 months on I am not so aware of it and it doesn’t ache unless I do excessive exercise. The result is good and matches the other one well (apart from the droop). I am glad I had it done. I was off work for 8.5 wks after the op, I’m a primary teacher. Hope this is helpful, good luck with your op, if you have any other questions please ask, Nic xx

Hi Nic,
Thank you for your feedback. Your op sounds identical to mine.
I was told I would need at least 4 weeks off work but I love my job so much & absolutely hate being off work, I was sort of hoping I may be able to go back after 2 or 3 weeks! Am I being unrealistic? I do recover really well from operations. Best wishes. S xx

Hi Somerset,
Poor you, that is unlucky regarding your 2 x mastectomies & scary that the 2nd one involved chemo etc! I really hope I don’t need any further treatment after this next operation. It is always hideous waiting for results, I get so incredibly nervous! How are you now? S xx

Hi Sonia C :slight_smile:

I had a double mastectomy and strattice reconstruction on August 25th and was back at work on 19th September. I had 2 drains in each breast for 2 weeks after surgery and apart from tripping over the long tubes and a bit of pain in my ribs where they were pressing found the whole thing much less scary and painful than I was expecting.

Good luck to you x

Hi Joandthetribe,
Thank you for sharing your experience with me which I really appreciate. What was your original diagnosis & did you need any further treatment after your surgery?
I wish to be honest they had just done a mastectomy to start with!

Sonia xx

Thank you Kiki2,
Did you have a mastectomy as your first surgery?

Sonia x

Hi Joandthetribe,
thank you for sharing your story with me and that is great news that you treatment is nearly over! You never imagine when you first present with a lump that you are going to have such a roller coaster of a ride! I cannot believe I will be going for my 3rd surgery, it is such a pain! I wonder how many women would opt for a mastectomy rather than a lumpectomy (with possible mastectomy afterwards) & radiotherapy. I am not particularly keen on the idea of radiotherapy & if a mastectomy means avoiding it then that has to be a good thing. I had zoladex years ago before having fibroids removed. That is a great idea that they can give you injections to avoid osteoporosis & possibly bone cancer. I just hope I don’t get any nasty suprises after my surgery which seems to keep happening to me! Best of luck to you. Sonia xx

Hi Somerset,
Yes you were lucky finding the 2nd lump when you did, it really is such a frightening thing dealing with BC! My nurse told me that she sees people who have left it so long to seek help either through fear or negligence that there is often very little that can be done for them! I am so grateful for this forum & whilst I wouldn’t wish this on anyone, it is really nice to communicate with people who are/have been through the same thing. S xx