Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mastectomy and reconstruction done

15 REPLIES 15
lazy_jane

Re: mastectomy and reconstruction done

Hi caramel
Don't know if I mentioned it but I had my op in Raigmore.  The staff are wonderful, couldn't be kinder, very understanding when I burst into tears, don't know why just emotions getting on top of me. Don't be afraid to ask for more pain relief if you need it. You get no points for pain. Hope all goes well for you. If you have any question you can post a message here or a pm message if you prefer

caramel

Hi Lazy Jane,

I am due to get the same op in Raigmore in a couple of weeks time and I am starting to get nervous so it is really reasurring to hear how well you have been cared for. I too have a wonderful husband helping me get through this tough time and I can't praise the staff at the Highland Breast Centre enough for the service I have received.

Good luck with your continued recovery

Zuleika

Rosie I was given a compression bra in hospital and then I bought sports bras as mx bras don't come in my size. Good luck 😃
rosie14

Hi jillybee I have not tried local M and S as they only carry a small range and are expensive. I have given Cyprus your love!
Thanks lazy-jane will look at Amazon.
lazy_jane

I have a Amoena bra very comfortable, given to me at the hospital, bit expensieve around £30-00 I bought my second, buy on line Amazon or Debenhams
jillybee

Rosie14.you live in my favourite place.Have you tried your local Marks and Spencer???please give Cyprus my love.
rosie14

I am due for mastectomy and reconstruction at the end of August. What sort of bra do you advise and where can I get it from as I may have to get this shipped as I live in Cyprus? Only right side although he said he would even up left to match!!!
Horseslave

Green pee. Awesome. I have been signed off this term, then it's the summer holiday , starting 2nd July for us. I hope to return to work September. I am not rushing things as have an extremely demanding job, long commute, long hours and huge responsibility. Hope to resume horse riding once I feel confident and healed.
Yvie178

Hi had mx recon with immediate implant with mesh on 13/2, worked from home from 4 weeks back full time at 7 weeks. Was fatigued but it helped make me feel more normal.
Zuleika

Hi horseslave, I had mx with implant reconstruction last August. I went back to work after 8 weeks on a phased return. I'm a nurse in a very busy role, so it was hard. I also ride and was nervous about falling off and damaging the implant. So I went back to riding after 3 months. My left arm is still a bit weaker, but I can ride, jump XC and control the horse as I did before. Riding has really helped me feel better.i had the blue dye before my first op in June wihere I had a lumpectomy and lymph node removal. It is to look at the blood supply into the lymph nodes, I think. It didn't hurt, but makes your pee green !!
Good luck !
z
Horseslave

I'm wondering how long it will be before I can go back to work. I opted not to have the back flap thing done as I horse tide and more importantly art is my career, so didn't want to risk mobility on that side. When do they put the blue dye in you , is this to check lymph nodes?
lazy_jane

I had a LD flap which uses the muscle from my back, the mastectomy was done through my nipple. So I have all my breast skin. A piece of skin from my back was used to replace my nipple which wil be reconstructed later.  Although I feel sore and swollen a the post op bra helps with support. My op took 8 hours so I just wanted to sleep after.  I'm very happy with how it all went. Your op obviously will be different but take it easy I don't feel any where near as bad as I thought I would.  Hope this helps if you want to ask any thing please do. 

Yvie178

Hi I had mx and silicon plant recon with strattice in February 14 anything you want to know just ask. Good luck x
Jo_BCC

Hi Lazyjane

Good to hear you're on the way to recovery.  I have put for you below the link to one of BCC's publications you might find helpful.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/your-operation-recovery-bcc1...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Horseslave

I have my mastectomy and silicone implant reconstruction this Thursday coming, what type did you have done? I am trying to glean as much information as I can. I feel a bit numb about the whole thing, it's happening so quickly.
lazy_jane

mastectomy and reconstruction done

Well that's my operaration over and I must say although I,m a bit sore and swollen I'm feeling very well.  Lucky for me I have a great husband who can not do enough for me a wonderful family, great friends and wonderful nurses and staff at Raigmore Hospital Inverness who have and are supporting all the way. With out them my worries would not have been soothed, my tears dried and my arms filled with hugs. I hope anyone who is about to go through this all the best and lots of hugs.