mastectomy bras £8

Just a note to say I have just bought a mastectomy support bra from Asda for £8. I had my mastectomy last Monday 3rd March and this bra is so comfortable, even with my comfie in. They only had the one in my size so I am going to go back to see if they have any more. Do you get a prosthesis from the hospital and how long after op.
Thanks, Sue

Hi, I must check out our local Asda, seems good value. I got my prothesis (and fitting) from my local hospital, my original surgery was back in 1999 and I think it was a little while after, once the wound had healed up properly. I believe you can get a new one every two years, but I am not absolutely certain on that.
Best wishesxx

Hi

Thanks for the pointer I will go have a look.

C

Hi, my breast care nurse does a lot of the breast awareness stuff at the local Asda and I know she says their mastectomy bras are very good. I have to search for non-wired bras on account of the position of my lumpectomy scar. I managed to find some nice satiny ones at 2 for £7.50 and 2 nice soft cotton ones at 2 for £3.00 in Matalan yesterday. After my lumpectomy and node clearance I lived in their soft sports bras for about 8 months. They were only £4 and were brilliantly supportive on my achey side. I already had a couple of expensive sports bras and would have said the Matalan ones were better. I never find it very easy getting non-wired bras as they are few and far between - also quite often they look like things your maiden great aunty would wear!

Hi Sue

I had my mastectomy 3 years ago. I used the comfy for 6 weeks and then got my first prosthesis. I had a fitting at BCC’s London office as I was a private patient but I know the local NHS hospital had a good selection of different makes. My breast care nurse then arranged for the amoena rep to supply the recommended prosthesis. I had an amoena one because I wanted to use their stick on prosthesis (contact). The advice I got was not to wear the stick on one until 6 months. As far as bras are concerned I bought cheap cotton ‘sports’ bras from Matalan and Primark. I also bought mail order from amoena and Nicola Jane (they both have pretty styles). I had a reconstruction 4 1/2 months ago and am still wearing my mastectomy bras as they are so comfortable.

Hope this helps

fantan

Also good range of Post Surgery Bras in M&S and was measured by very helpfiul assistant, also there you get the VAT refunded to you on purchase, can look at the range on line.

Magsi

I have posted on behalf of new user Val
Kind regards
Katie

i am a keen swimmer i stitch pockets
in my costume.it works a treat and a lot cheaper

val