363533posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mastectomy on Tuesday

9 REPLIES 9

Re: mastectomy on Tuesday

Hey Kazza How did it go on Tuesday? I had my mastectomy on Wednesday today (Friday)I am sitting in the garden in the sunshine being waited on hand and foot by other half! I lost most of Wednesday as I went to theatre around 11am but was drifting in and out of sleep until 8.30pm. Because of the drips and drains I was confined to bed but as soon as they came out (I did manage to rip the drip in my hand out in the night and throw out the nasal oxygen thingy) I was up washed and dressed which made me feel so much better.It doesn't hurt that much luckily it is the dressing that is bugging me the most all that sticky stuff.The falsie is in and to be honest if you didn't know you wouldn't tell which was which. You really appreciate that there are some very kind people out there. Apart from family friends and neighbours there have been those ladies who provide the knitted knockers, mine are on order! Then at the hospital the breast care nurse came round with these lovely heart shaped quilted pillows made by a local quilting group so comfy tucked under your arm to help pad the sore bits. Then some one else who makes pretty little bags to put your drain  in so it is not on display. It is just so kind of other ladies to make these things free of charge. Anyway I hope every one out there who has had their operations this week are well on their way to recovery and to those waiting to go to be honest it is not as bad as you are probably fearing. For me the worst part was having to pee in a comode!! Yuck!

Hi Kazza
Your son's brilliant! Loved the comment about the dogs plastic collar, have two here from last week if anyone's interested - eBay??
You will be fine and I wishbyoubliafs of luck love Jan xx

You Tuesday me Wednesday! On Good Friday I definately made my mind up what I wanted to do. I walked the dog across the fields overlooking the sea in the beautiful sunshine and thought what is more inmportant. life or vanity. Being older than you it was probably alot easier but life is so much more important and that morning really brought that home. Boobs have one purpose in life to feed babies mine have done that.Ok the men in our lives might miss their playthings but sorry tough we are much more important! I had a look at the knitted knockers (what an absolutely fantastic thing the volunteers do) so maybe we should all get our men some of those as well!! I'd love to know how you get on. Keep strong.

Thankyou for your support it good to know people are there to help me. I'm sure I'll be ok it's just nerve racking going into the unknown. At least me sons keeping me sain. He's 9years old and is just worried that when I have the op I'll have to wear a plastic lampshade like our dog did when she had an operation. He does make me laugh. 5 days until the op still haven't dryers or got upset about it I'm sure I will at some point.x

Hi x thought I would post to see if I can help with your worries x I ha double mascetomy on the 30th March three weeks down and I am ok x I won't lie it was not nice looking at first and I thought oh no but now am ok bandages off and it looks ok obviously not the same but on upper hand the dreaded lump and mass gone which can only be positive x here is a few tips when your tired rest or it will ache and buy a cheap v shape pillow god send at night to get comfy mine for a tenner from Argos x I have had fluid drained three times think it called aeroma but you will be numb and don't feel anything x I know you are worried so was I but I got through it thinking u know what this only way and the start to get me on mend x saw my surgeon who advised was the best option for me as my lump and mass was larger than he thought xxx if u need any information or just a chat I am happy to help you anyway I can x

Hi Kazza37 and mommak, welcome to the BCC forums
Along with the support you have found here our helpliners are on hand weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2 with practical and emotional support for you on 0808 800 6000

Here's a link to some information and further support ideas from BCC which you may find helpful :

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Kazza
I was diagnosed by ultrasound last Wednesday and await the biopsy results this friday. So far I have tried to keep busy but find myself panicking inside now & then, and try to keep things normal but its all very frightening.
This is a great site and we are all here for each other. I wish you loads of love take care Jan xx

Hi kazza37....mastectomy for me on May 5th. Would be lying if I said I was not worried...I look at myself in the mirror and everything looks fine and I feel totally normal. Then I realize I am about to let a surgeon disfigure me and I freak a little. Of course I know that the surgery is an absolute necessity but I think I am grieving a little for a body I am about to lose. Hope it goes well for you...let us know how you manage after. I have four young children and am a bit worried about the week following the operation. Here's to hope. I really want to get to the other side of all this and breathe deeply again. Mommak

Hi Kazza,

You will find alot of lovely ladies her eto talk too and alot of support, Try not to get too scared.I know what you mean about putting on a brave face. I had a lumpectomy and  lymph node removal on March 31st and about to begin chemo. To date, I havent cried and everyone keeps remarking on how calm I am, but I am churning away inside. I think because I feel well I ama ble to deal with it all, but I am sure I will be crying buckets at some point.

Take it a day at a time and try and keep busy. Good Luck xx Ruth xx

mastectomy on Tuesday

I'm new to this blog.Im 37 and was diagnosed two weeks ago with DCIS and was told I needed a mastectomy.Its a week away now and I'm starting to panick. I was trying to make light of the situation to spare my family worrying about me but now I'm getting scared of what I'll look like after the op.