mastectomy scar

Posted on behalf of susy

Hi I have posted about this before but can not find it. The breast care nurse said to massage my mastectomy scar as it looks like it has been vacuum packed onto my chest and is all wrinkly. How do I do this and should I use any creams.

RevCat

RevCat says on 15 Mar 2012 11:36

Hi Susy,
Re: your scar, my PS told me to massage my scars daily, using pretty much any gentle moisturiser - so E45 or acqueous cream is fine. Some people use Bio Oil (I choose not to as it contains phytoeostrogens) or Emu Oil or Vitamin E based oils. Some use Nivea or Dove or some such. The main function of the oil or cream is to moisturise and lubricate the massage. Rubbing scars evidently aids healing and reduces adhesions. A year post surgery I rub E45 into my scars for a few seconds every day and they have been described as ‘beautiful’ and ‘perfect’ by medics!

Re: mouth care, your onc or chemo nurses should be able to prescribe or provide anything you need e.g mouth washes. Not everyone has severe mouth problems, so it’s a bit of a case ot wait and see I think. When I did FEC I found I got a sore throat, so sucked medicated throat sweets proc-avtively as well as smooth boiled sweets (mint was best for me).

Hope it all goes well for you. It is a bewildering place at the start, but once you get going you find your own way through.