cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mastectomy with immediate implant & mesh recon tomorrow. in a state

9 REPLIES 9
Zuleika

Re: mastectomy with immediate implant & mesh recon tomorrow. in a state

Chase, I'm afraid I can't advise on an uplift op, but I understand your immediate thoughts. When I was offered implant reconstruction, replacing the tissue expander and implant on the good side, my immediate reCon. was no. I didn't want more surgery. I spent months deciding ans had it finally done yesterday. I'm so relieved and happy that I made the right choice. The thing that made me make my mind up was thinking about the long term. Good luck 😃
Chaze

Had my 3rd inflation which was OK but PS started talking about having an uplift in my right breast! First time this had been mentioned. I said "no way" once I had the expander and port removed and the implant in place I never wanted to go into hospial ever again. Afterwards I hada good look at my boobs and can see that my good boob is always going to droop more. Considering the uplift now but wonder what happens. Firstly will there be any drains . (I hate them and they hurt when being removed and I have a good pain threshold) I assume there will be more scarring but will it be numb like the reconstructed one? If I go ahead with the uplift does it get done at the same time as the expander removal?
Yvie178

Sorry to hear - the bruising is quite spectacular is t it, have you got a pain relief catheter in the recon, I found this masked the pain totally until I left hospital? If not ask for more meds, getting up from bed is difficult as you use your pec muscle. It does get better but it takes awhile. Hope you feel more comfortable soon, when will they let you home?
helenstevo

Im in a lot of pain. Very bruised. Everytime I stand the gravity makes implant sink to bottom where mesh is & its rather painful. Getting up from lying down is tricky. Cant wait for pain to subside! X
Yvie178

Hope all went ok with your op. Rest as much as you can!
Chaze

Hi, just joined forum today and read your post Zuleika. I had a mastectomy on my left breast. 6 weeks ago. I consider myself lucky as I do not have to have any chemo or radiotherapy as my biopsy discovered pre-cancerous cells and although they may never have caused me problems I was advised to have the breast removed. I am having reconstruction using tissue expander and saline inflations. I am quite slim but my boobs were a 34d . I recovered quickly from the mx finding the removal of the drain the most painfull thing. My port for the inflation is very prominent and looks like a rib sticking out. Was very uncomfortable wearing a bra or bending even sitting for long periods started to hurt. Long to be able to sleep on my side, only comfy lying on my back at the moment. Just started the saline inflations and although scared stiff after using a numbing gel on my port I had no pain at all. Only had two inflations so far and cannot believe my boob can stretch any more slightly worried about the next inflation . Didn't realise how long I had to keep the expander and port in place after inflations finished, been told it could be another 4 months and that I may need an uplift in my right breast . Trying to look on the bright side as I am fortunate not to have cancer but also wondering if it was really necessary but as you say I have to put my trust in the hospital team. Sorry for the length of this moan, will keep it shorter next time.
Yvie178

Hi had immediate implant with mesh on 13/2 and to be honest the pain after op was so well controlled by pain catheter into boob and additional pain meds that I was amazed. I discussed my tendency to vomit with anesthetis and he gave me additional anti sickness and I was fine. Was in hospital 3 nights and home with one drain. Drains not great but very necessary with mesh. Also put straight on antibiotics to minimise any chance of infection. Had snb at same time so small scar in armpit and scar across breast from side to nipple which was removed. In hospital pain minimal, coming home I struggled to keep the pain under control was taking max dose of paraceutimol, max dose of ibuprofen, and was given tramadol to take at night. On top of that daily antihistamine for post surgery rash and two weeks of antibiotics. My advice to you is not to try and do too much too soon as it causes swelling which causes pain, I am 10 weeks post op now and did too much last week and have lots of pain, back on painkillers. Am a b cup, was b/c cup prior to op but had lost weight so was at my smallest, next op is to nipple share from good boob and lift good one to same level, depending on volume achieved whether I have implant or not. This is planned for august. I do have some rippling and dents due to no fat on my upper chest - dents seem to be where the second drain was. She is going to try lipo fill these. Be prepared the implant feels weird - heavy, tight, pressure like a bowling ball strapped to your chest but I think you get used to it eventually. Anything else you want to know just ask. Good luck tomorrow
Zuleika

Hi I had mastectomy with implant expander last August. The anaesthetic was amazing. I barely felt the needle go in, then I drifted off to a lovely sleep. I came round in the recovery unit and went to the ward. It was a bit sore and they gave me morphine. I went home the next day with a drain. There wasn't too much pain from the wound and the implant looked great as they partially inflated it. I'll be honest, the drain was uncomfortable and a pain to carry around. It was out in a week.after that, I felt pretty good, but very tired for a few weeks. I am due to have the tissue expander replaced with silicone and then silicone on the other side, to match up, in a week. I was a 32AA but will be a B cup afterwards.
My advise is, put your faith in the hospital team, they are amazing people, rest and allow others to look after you, eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and focus on getting well.
Your skin will stretch to accommodate the implants, so don't worry about that. Seroma was not an issue for me.
Good luck, you will be fine.
Zu
helenstevo

To add to it as I got diagnosed in oct 2013 I had chemo to try shrink lump that failed. I finished chemo 8wks ago & ive got a sort of lump / mass or something on my bad side in neck. If I turn head it sort of seems to squash it. its on left side. They did a ultrasound on wednesday but said couldnt see anything. Im just worried if its crept into lymph nodes whilst ive been awaiting surgery wuth no chemo. Worried they can do a mx but if dont recheck nodes & its in there then itll go everywhere but my surgeon said no to checking nodes said dont need to. He said hes a node expert & it wont be in there?!
helenstevo

mastectomy with immediate implant & mesh recon tomorrow. in a state

Hi. Im due a single mastectomy tomorrow. Im having an implant in with a mesh. Been offered later on a implant on other side but surgeon has agreed to do same procedure (mx & implant) but have to follow procedure, see a psychiatrist thats a 3mth waiting list.

Anyway, im only an A cup I think but he says im quite broad. he said I should be approx a large B to a C cuo after implant as im a sz 14 & always hated my small breadts so he said he will do larger for me. Im just worried how theyre going to fit in my skin??!! (Skin sparing mx, lose nipple though). Hes chosen tear shaped implant. I asked about an expander but he says implant with mesh better as not sure if need radiotherapy as yet.

Ive already had chemo to try shrink lump but not successful. Also on herceptin at the moment too so hes v worried about an infection. Worst case scenario the implant & mesh will be removed leaving me flat!!

Im 33, never been ill or had surgery before, apart from the slnb op I had at first diagnosis that showed nodes clear. I struggled with pain after that minor op!!

I just dont know how ill feel after I come round? Whats the pain like? How bad are these drains? Seroma, is that awful?

Id just love to know how you feel after op so I know what to expect. I feel a bit of a wimp really as I felt dreadful after slnb op but only for a couple of days. This op im assuming is going to be a lot worse?!!! Although been told node ops tend to be worse?? Hmm??

I am so petrified. Scared of needle in hand as my veins v hard & deep so its a struggle & it hurts. I tend to feel v sick with anaesthetic & pain relief.

Oh god. Im last on surgeons list too so tomorrows just going to be awful xxx