Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mastectomy with immediate reconstruction

14 REPLIES 14
nonsuch

Re: mastectomy with immediate reconstruction

Hi mama,
Well, the type of recon that works best is in part about your shape! But the DIEP has a better chance of giving you a sizeable refill, and some ladies are told to put on a bit of weight to increase the scope. With an LD flap you would need an implant to give you anything approaching a G. It's common to be offered a bit of a reduction on the good side if a match can't be achieved. I wanted to avoid implants because of the ongoing maintenance afterwards, and possibility of encapsulation. The appearance can be super though.

I had mx/ DIEP in November and tho I was warned surgery would be long, it was actually only six hours. My refilled boob has gone UP to an E from a C so I've recently had liposuction to remove a bit. (They can also take fat from somewhere else and top it up a bit if necessary.) I've just had a nipple constructed too, and the match is amazing already. There's lots of information if you search under DIEP, or email me if you'd like to see some pics along the way...

Best of luck, it's a crappy time but if its any consolaton, you'd hardly know I've had anything done now.

raechi

Hiya Mama,
I had a sentinel node biopsy in March and the lyphodema risk is low as they dont take too many nodes out.
I recently met with my plastic surgeon as i have similar size boobs to you (36 G) and was planning an immediate recon. He said i would get a more natural look using my tummy. However the operations is longer as is the recovery time.
Its a totally personal choice as there are advantages and disadvantages to both.
Unfortunately due to a blood clot i cant now have an immediate recon and will now have to wait so i have my mx on Thursday. But when i do have a recon i am still hoping to use my tummy.
Does that help at all?
Rae
x

Guest user
Not applicable

I have just joined this site and am not sure how to use it, so apologies if I have entered wrong forum. Had surgery x2last year for high grade dcisfollowed by 15 fractionsDDT. Annual mammograph indicated need for a biopsy which has shown further dcis. Have just been told I need a mastectomy.Have been offered immediate reconstruction and see the bcn to-morrow to be informed of the differentoptions available to me. I have spent a while reading the different forums and would like some opinions on what might be the bestcourse to take. If I have reconstruction then I have to have sentinel node biopsy with the risk of developing lymphodema. Would I be better having diep( I am apparently suitable) or would it be better to have an ld flap. I am a 34 g cup, which surgery would be best? I,d really appreciate some thoughts. Thanks
Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you for replying Jane good to know you are on the mend! i still have one of my drains and in draining 50-60mls daily! Like you i am still sore and having perculiar pains where the nerve endings are knitting together.Finding the exercises a bit difficult at times, but that might be my impatience to get back to "normal".
Have you had your pathology results back yet? Mine are due on Friday this week, although i do know that my nodes are clear from my SNB result., i am hoping for some good news. My surgeon has already warned me that if they find any DCIS or microinvasion near my nipple he will be removing it! This is worrying me more than anything else at the momen,t as it will mean further surgery and just something else to get my head around!
Not only i the family dealing with my illness, my father in law passed away on Friday. Life is not good at the moment
I will try and PM you although i am a bit computer illiterate!
Dawn x
Wolsty

Hi Hobbitt

I had my surgery on 21st June. Had mx, ld flap recon with expander implant and full node clearance. Had the surgery 10 days after last chemo (was on 3 x Fec and 3 x Tax) so my body has been through alot. Had to have a blood transfusion after surgery and stayed in hospital for a week (the last two drains came out on Thursday morning just before I came home),

Finding everything very sore after surgery. Been to see my surgeon today and have had some fluid drained off an area under my arm so hopefully will start to feel more comfortable. Also told that all my nodes were clear (I had SNB in February which showed traces in one node) and all the DCIS has now been removed (my big lump had shrunk to virtually nothing with the chemo). Taking co-codamol regularly and just lying on the sofa - have been given strict instructions to do nothing which I find very hard work if you know what I mean.

Feel free to PM me if you want to compare notes as we are probably at exactly the same stage in our recovery process.

Jane x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you Liz,
xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Hobbit 🙂
Sorry to hear you had a rocky road but sounds like you are well on the other road now 🙂 (the road to recovery I mean!)
Don't worry about struggling with the exercises just keep trying your best - things will improve 🙂
(I was a lurker on this thread - read it with interest but as I had a DIEP (tummy) reconstruction I did not have anything useful to offer.)
Good luck with the histology results.
Glad to know you are ok.
Liz x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hello lovely ladies, i am now 8 days post mastectomy with LD flat plus implant reconstruction. Been a rocky road due to low blood pressure and lots of drainage loss, one drain removed today and possibly next one on Monday. Have felt a bit more like my old self yesterday and today, really struggling with the exercise though. The next hurdle to tackle is the results of histology. Good luck to any ladies who are having/about to have surgery.
scottishlass

Hello Dawn, I have just read your post for the first time.. Sorry I missed it. I had LD flap done with implant way back in 1989. I do not regret it for one minute. It still looks good after all this time and weraing my bra you would not know I had any scars at all. My bra hides the scar on my back and the scarring on my chest has become pale. The only odd thing I first found was when I scratched an itchy bit on my new boob I could feel ait in my back! I think this op was fairly new when I had it done but my breast care nurse introduced me to a patient who had had the same op done a few years before so that I would know what to expect and I could ask her questions too. After that I volunteered to bare all if any new patient wanted to see the results of the surgery. I was less scared to have the op once I knew what to expect. I wish you well and hope you are delighted with the results as much I I am. Love to all who have been through these surgery procedures. Love Val

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you for your helpful comments, i have decided on LD reconstruction and am booked for surgery on 20th June. had a SLNB on Wed so a little sore still, but this is nothing compared to the BIG ONE! Dawn x
jennie6996

Hi I had a double mastectomy with immediate LD recon and implant, one had to go the other was risk reducing, I had this done on the 4th jan 2012 and although it feels a little tight some times I dont regret it for one second. Its been the best thing thats happened through this whole nightmare. It was an 11 hour op but I cant remember much about the first couple of days (must have been the anesthetic). I do remember my chest felt really heavy and I couldnt get out of bed for a couple of days but I do now have almost all my arm movements back and have done for about 8 weeks post op. I do have a scare across my back which is now barely visable and can be hidden under my bra strap. Do the exercises they give you religiously it makes things so much easier. I am so glad I did this as I really couldnt stand the though of me boobless and also its helped me cope with what I have had to deal with after the op as I can at least look normal.
Jennie

PS.
my cleavage is now better than it was when I was 17 lol x

ChristineP

Hi, here is another lady who has had mastectomy with immediate strattice mesh recon. I was very happy to have immediate reconstruction with implant and strattice mesh. It meant hat I need not have any muscle used from the back (no scars, and no pains there), the op was quite straightforward (alternative that i had considered was with flap from tummy - which was much bigger op). I had my op post chemo, so was already too tired and exhausted to go for the tummy tuck operation (which apparently can give the best results).
Immediate reconstruction means you wake up after the op with a boob, so that was good.
They said that strattice mesh can give more Seroma problems, which I had, but that just meant a few more quick trips to the hospital to have it drained - which had to be one under ultrasound guidance, as the mesh was not to be disturbed by the needle used to drain the Seroma.
The result looks fine under a t shirt, and I have a cleavage 🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi
Sorry to hear you have had to join us.
I have the Strattice Mesh recon. Like you it was done at the same time as my mx. Waking up from surgery, I did feel like there was a huge pressure on my chest. I think that is where the chest muscle has been moved.
Anyway, my surgery was last October (gosh, nearly 8 months ago now) and I am still getting used to the feel of my new breast. Some of this is due to slight swelling I have had round the breast and armpit (probably due to missing lymph nodes) during chemo and then rads. I do find that if I do too much with my arm (digging in the garden, hanging curtains etc) I still get a bit of an ache, but I suspect that this will get better with time and as the muscle gets more used to the new position.
Appearance wise, it is great. I am happy and confident wearing tight(ish) t-shirts and even ones that reveal a little cleavage. Naked, my recon is much perter than the other side, but then the other side is older and was used for breast-feeding. I believe that acquaintances who don't know I have had surgery don't suspect and friends who do, don't know which side. Even my daughter sometimes forgets which side has had surgery (and she has seen the scar). In fact, as she is only 5, she only knows I have had a lump (and nipple) removed and is not aware that one side is artificial and she sees me naked.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi dawn,Hope this is of some help, i have just recently gone through surgery to both breasts a dbl mastectomy & immediate reconstruction, the side with the cancer was a ld flap, a muscle was taken from the back & then a implant was used too, the other side was simply an implant with mesh, i find that though im left with a wound to my back that it isnt too bad i can see it unless i look for it, out of sight out of mind! also its under the bra line so when in a bra you dont see it anyway. i was affraid of my new additions at 1st, & though miss the old pair 😞 im already growing to except my new ones! the big plus is when i get changed out of my bra they dont fall to the floor lol, & my life has been saved 🙂 if you have any questions im happy to help just shout - sam x
Guest user
Not applicable

mastectomy with immediate reconstruction

Hello ladies, i was diagnosed withmulti focal high grade DCIS yesterday and would like some advise. my surgeon has offered me a choice between a pedicled tissue flag ( muscle taken from the back) with implant, or a fairly new surgery which consists of an implant and a synthetic mesh to support the inplant. the second choice would mean i would not have a scar on my back, but the first choice has a more natural outcome according to the BCNs. It seems to be an awful time to have to make this decision when i am still realing from the diagnosis. I would appreciate any advise from any ladieso have had either surgery. Dawn