cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mastectomy

3 REPLIES 3
mazrid

Re: mastectomy

Hi I've just had a mastectomy on the 25th september I only got my dressing off on thursday but I didn't look until friday and I was shocked it is much longer than I expected I'm still scared every morning when I shower & get dressed because when I see it again it hits me what's really happened i'm now waiting for histology results and I must admit i'm terrified although I'm playing that down for everyone else

Kess

Hi there. I am 41 was dx Jan this year, and married for 18 years.

It is a hard time and feeling a sense of loss is very normal. I was really stressed before my op(2 weeks ago) even though I knew for 6 months it would be an MX (had chemo first). I couldn't look at all for the first week, but once I did it was not as bad as I expected. I don't like it but I can accept it. My husband looked from day 1 ( he was in charge of checking the wound and drains) and he has been brilliant. He tells me every day I am beautiful and that he really doesn't care how many breasts I have, he is just glad I am alive.

I would say look when you are ready. And remember you will have an option of recon at some point, even if you can't have it straight away.

Take one day at a time and be kind to yourself. It's a lot to deal with.
Jo_BCC

Hi taveyoreo78

I have put for you below the links to a couple of BCC's publications you might find helpful.  Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away if you would like to talk to someone in confidence, they're here to support you through this.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/your-operation-recovery-bcc1...

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/about-breast-cancer-care/support-younger-women-brea...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

taveyoreo78

mastectomy

i am having a hard time to take it in, that i have to have a mastectomy. i was initially told that i was going to have a lumpectomy, but the chemo didnt reduce the lump as much as they had hoped. this has been a blow to me. i now have to try and comprehend losing my breast, all i do is keep crying and feel a great sense of loss and grief that this is happening to me. just wanted others to give me somekind of techniques of coping; i am only 35 and feel i have had alot to cope with:

how did you cope with it

how did you feel when you saw yourself without a breast

how did you manage the emotional side

how did it effect your relationship (if you have a partner or are married)

any other advice would be appreciated

thank you xx taveyoreo xx