mastectomy

i am due to have a mastectomy and feeling all over the place

wanted some tips on how others managed it

• the psychological side

• physical side (if you have a partner)

• any other tips?

Hi taveyoreo

Whilst you await replies here please feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support and they are open until 5pm, weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

Here’s some information about surgery along with further support services on the BCC site which may also help :

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/your-operation-recovery-bcc151

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/surgery

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi taveyoreo78

Sorry you have found yourself on this site but hopefully it will be of some comfort to know your not alone.

I think we all manage it differently and it depends on whether you’re having an immediate reconstruction.

Teresa

Hi I had mastectomy in February, diagnosed with high grade dcis 55mm, 1st mammogram, biopsy followed by core biopsy, small busted so no other option. Had immediate recon with implant and strattice, not enough tissue for any other recon, diagnosed 14th jan, op 13th February so not a great deal of time to think about it. Was in hospital for 3 nights, came home with one drain, pain completely controlled in hospital as had pain relief catheter direct into breast but discharged on paraceutimol and ibuprofen so pain kicked in quickly. Was very fatigued for a week or so, couldn’t do much - was told not to drive for 6 weeks, not to lift, pull washing from machine, iron, not to Hoover for 12 weeks. Swelling and tight bowling ball feeling lasted a good 8 weeks, numb but painful. Now 6 months today post op, still sore on and off, sharp nerve pains, and general soreness whe I do too much, but mostly ok. My scar is across the middle of my boob to where my nipple was, I lost that as well. The shape is good, in clothes you would not know, however I have a deep indent above the implant where the tissue was removed which is very obvious and can be sore, I am having fat transfer in two two weeks to try and correct, also having good boob lifted to try and even out the lopsided ness, my husband thinks the foob is great, well it is like a teenagers! How do I feel - grateful it wasn’t worse, bemused by the severity of the cure! Some days I feel disfigured but mostly I am glad the worse of it is over. My advice is take as much pain relief as you need, rest, don’t try to do too much. I worked from home at 4 weeks and went back full time at 7 weeks, my work were great and I could have stayed off longer but I needed normal!