cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mastectomy

175 REPLIES 175
Tess1950

Re: mastectomy

Hi Patricia, you must be feeling very confused and upset.I have just been on a site that said most of the lymph vessels of the breast drain into lymph nodes under the arm (axillary nodes and also a couple of other places.  I don't know whether this is any help.I chose a masectomy as Consultant was concerned about tmy inverted nipple and I didn't want one op never mind 2.  I am a chicken.   I had 2 types of cancer and am HER2 Positive which is unusual but I told the consultant I like to be different but really you feel as though it is unreal.  A lot of time is spent waiting on results which is hard.  I was told to ask for a copy of my pathology report which my Surgery Consultant gave me.  I was then able to come home and research and understand it a lot better.  It took time to get my head round it but when I saw the Oncology Consultant I was more or less prepared for what he was going to say.  His first words floored me though as he said it is more aggressive than we thought. After a while I asked him is he could make me better as I  knew someone he had treated previously and he said yes. I accepted that but since then I  have crashed my car, broke my computer (i normally fix it) and lots of other silly things.  You do need a good sense of humour to get you through this.  This forum has really helped me because everyone understands how you feel as we are all going through it and we can say what we really feel. All I can say is that I understand how you feel and am thinking of you.

If you wish to get in touch again I will be happy to talk to you. I am a nutty as a fruitcake as I am on chemo so don't always make sense as I have what they call chemo brain. I couldn't even spell Kenneth my hubbies name and we have been married 30 years.  I have had to read this over and over and redo spelling.Woman LOL

Take Care,

Love Tess

xxxx

Patricia11

Hello everyone 

I had a lumpectomy and full node clearance under my arm in April 2015.  I then had a mx on 23rd June and was given my results yesterday and told further nodes were removed from my breast which tested positive for cancer.

I didnt even realise that there were nodes within the breast.

Has anyone has results after mx that showed nodes within the removed breast tissue.

Thank you

Tess1950

Hi Maria, Nice to hear from you. You sent me a private message but I could not answer as you have not accepted me as a friend. I tried last night and wrote two messages on Ken's tablet as my chemo brain boke the computer.  I am now trying to activate it and have managed to get online but do not have an internet provider at the minute.  I think I will be up all night trying to sort but just had chemo so am hyper.  I will answer you if you wish if you accept me as a friend and don't want to ask certain things on here.

Thinking of you.

Take Care

Love Tess

Tess1950

Hi Jill, I have sent you a private message but did not know until just now.  Now I know how to do it I will speak in more detail tomorrow.  Take big beathes and try and relax as the news does take time to digest.  Easy said hard to do but you are strong.  It's called hobsons choice. I am so so sorry I can't pick Yorkie up as my car can only do 30mph.  Also my poor Simba Cat Sad has already been freqently terrorised by my friends dog and I couldn't put him through that trauma again. I really don't like turning you down but feel I must decline your kind offer.Woman LOL

Try and get a good nights sleep

Love Tess

xxxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Tess ,sent you a private message but occurred to me you may not notice .Had good news but aware all not in same place.Having palpitations for fun think delayed reaction ,great.Hope you had better day,when did you say you are collecting Yorkie?
Tess1950

Hi Jill, glad you are listening. Tomorrow I will be with you in spirit,

Love Mum Tess

xxxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Yes Mum .......
Tess1950

Hi Jill, we both seem to get our fair share of additional stress but we can cope.  We are both strong.  I have got some funky head gear so you will be able to spot me a mile off.  Not sure about tattoo but I'm up for painting my face.  Maybe I can be a childrens entertainer as a clown.Woman Wink Just had a back spasm with me running around like an Indian Squaw (can't spell) and Ken trying to catch me to rub my back.  It is so painful I can't keep still. It must look funny when it's happening. This is where my diazepam kicks in and proves its worth as after 30 minutes its gone. Magic at its best.

I am going to be bossy now. Rest and sleep.

Love Tess

xxxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Sounds like you have had a difficult day, we can both do without the additional stress, unfortunately the universe doesn't appear to understand this and keeps sending extra s***.Im not surprised you are stressing about losing your hair ,it is a horrible visible symbol of all you are going through.Easy for me to say but it is only very temporary and for most people seems to come back within month of finishing chemo.Could you go for rock chick look and invest in some funky bandanas and pretend you have just come back from Glastonbury, ,paint some rainbows on your face and get a henna tattoo? Keep your chin up ,this is temporary,it's an investment in the rest of your life.
Tess1950

Hi Riversidedawn, Many thanks for your reply.  I am positive and have been doing all the things I normally do. The only thing I did differently was I didn't drive the car I crashed it.Woman LOL Still waiting for car to be taken for repairs and loan car supplied.  I can drive my car but only 30mph which is difficult when you are in a higher limit.  Most people get annoyed and probably think stupid woman driver but who cares. Going out and about does help.  If you feel ill it's better to go out because it does lift your spirits.  Did you lose your hair with chemo?  I am having cold cap but a little is coming out.  I find that hard but have told friends they can call me baldilocks.

Even though my leg is swollen and feel as though my body has been battered still went 100 miles to see mu Mum.  My friend drove as she thought that would be safer. I wonder why?Woman LOL

To go through what you have been through and looking after your children and going to work you have done brilliant. You are one strong lady. Have you got to have any more treatment?

Take Care,

Love Tess

xxxx

Tess1950

Hi Jill, Sorry that Yorkie tried to do a runner, He obviously is very comfortable in your house and was trying to find his way back to you.  You do not need the additional stress.  You are at hospital tomorrow for your results. I will be thinking of you and hoping that will be the end of your treatment. 

Went to Skegness to see my mum and put 2 inhalers near where she sat.  When she saw them she threw them across the room and said I'm not taking them.  Her dummy fell out of her pram. If I get like that I will shoot myself. After a few sharp words from me I rang the doc.  He wanted her in hospital but she said no but she has agreed to use inhaler and take antibiotics.  I took leaflet out so she could not read side effects as she would have read it and not taken them. Woman Wink  It said on side of her presciption if condition worsens 999 or A & E. I rang when we got home and she said she could breathe better since using inhaler. Bloody hard work but worth it. All the way there Daniel must have texted me every 10 minutes as he had not slept and didn't want to go to work.  In the end I told him to do as he wanted as I had had enough. If I would have been near him I think I could cheerfully strangled him.Woman Wink Looking on the bright side I didn't have to pay for a taxi. Woman LOL

I get my mum's pension from a department store.  Most considerate because every time I go I always find something nice to buy.  Got a nice top today. No room in 3 wardrobes but I'm sure I will find somewhere for it to go.  Ken might have some space in his wardrobe.Woman Wink

My temperature was up this morning but has now gone down. My left leg is swollen up to the knee so think may have a touch of lymphadema but will see how it is in the morning. Mentally feeling better but trying to get my head round hair coming out.  It's not huge amounts but not sure now whether to continue with cold cap.

My sense of humour is back.  I just had a thought my mum and Yorkie a perfect match. Woman Wink Failing that all you can do is hope your mother in law comes home quickly. 

Tomorrow will be hard and you have to be strong and positive. That I know you are.

My thoughts are with you tomorrow.

Try and get some sleep. 

Take Care,

Love Tess

xxxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Tess , friend took Yorkie for night to see how he might fit in at her house.Got phone call this am he had escaped and search parties needed!!!!!Always something to cause additional stress at the moment.He was (un) fortunately found by passer by within the hour.Friend now dubious and think he will be returning to c**p on floor in hall soon.Didn't realise how stressful having him was until we had a night off.....Hope you have a positive day.
Tess1950

Hi Jill, Fell asleep on sofa and just woke up. You are right and I will look after myself. Off to sunny Skegness to see my mum tomorrow but my friend is driving.  I wonder why? Woman WinkSleep tight.

Thank  you

Love Tess

xxxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Seriously though, you do not have capacity to deal with any additional stress at the moment.Despite Aspergers I suspect your son is like a lot of young men ,used to his mother looking after him and he is pushing his luck .You need to look after yourself.
Jill1998
Community Champion

Ok ,I will swap you dog for son for one week!Change is as good as a rest.Does son crap on floor?
Tess1950

Hi Jill, Ken and my daughter have just taken my dog and hers for a good run.  I haven't said anything but I think they might guess I am not my usual self.  I will do you a swap my son for your dog.  Daniel has slight learning difficulties and he has possibly got Aspergers Syndrone.  He is very clever and plays me to the point where I lose the plot.  He doesn't do it to anyone else.  I gave him my cancer report to read as he said it was all in my mind.  He then said no scan.  Whether it's his way of coping I don't know. I have always waited on both my sons and Matthew is totally different so helpful.  I take Daniel to work and pick him up usually well after midnight and he keeps saying I should still be doing it.  This week I have forked out £40 for taxis for his late shifts as he never has any money. I do love him but he is playing me and I don't know how to stop it.  A few months ago he went to the top of a car park and threatened to throw himself off.  Luckily with frequent texts from myself with the help of the police I talked him down.  If the police had found him there he would have received help but  spoke to the doctor and he saw him and just changed his tablets. Normally I cope pretty well with him but at the moment it is hard. Still we have to have a challenge or life would be boring. Woman LOL I am beginning to return to my normal (whatever that is) self.  I think as I am losing a little hair I freaked but it will grow back. You can call me baldilocks.

Thinking of you and thanks again

Love Tess

xxxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

No Tess, I really don't think anyone can understand who hasn't been there.Your son needs to help out more,they get so used to us looking after them don't they? When did you say you were coming for the dog??
Tess1950

Hi Jill, Many thanks you made me laugh.  You know I would drive to collect a new dog but unfortunately my driving skills are zero at present.  I will have to give it a miss.  Also I wouldn't deprive you of the joys of looking after your mother in laws dog. Woman Wink At present I am transferring all data off computer so it can be repaired.  Even with chemo brain I am the only one that can do it. Woman LOL  I have just told my son Daniel he has to walk my dog.  He said can we go in the car which means he will go if I go.  I can't win. Woman LOL Ken has had to go to work and he is absolutely worn out and in pain. He is so good but you can't tell them exactly how you feel because unless you are going through it they try and understand but they can't. Better get back to transferring data.  Now in a better frame of mind. Wherevery it is. Many thanks.

Love Tess

xxxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Seriously though ,how can you help but have days where you feel really low amongst all of this ,whatever your attitude to life your body and mind are taking a battering.Don't give yourself a hard time for feeling low,hopefully you will feel better tomorrow ,it's gonna be a lovely week weather wise that does help your mood.Now get in the car and drive up here at 30 miles an hour and collect your new dog......
Jill1998
Community Champion

I know what will sort you out Tess,I have this lovely little Yorkshire Terrier.......
Tess1950

Hi Jill, hope you are resting and not thinking about Tuesday.  Take one day at a time.  My computer is going to be repaired but hopefully I can use tablet. I have lost me today and yesterday.  I can't stop working and feel so low I just don't understand it. I will have to send out a search party to find me.  The weather here is awful and just got wet through getting some shopping.  I just want to run away at the moment but can't as car can only go 30mph and technically we shouldn't be driving it as tyre damaged and we risk a blow out. So sorry I am so negative I have never been this low.  In fact did not know it was possible.

I do hope that you are okay and sorry to be so miserable.  I will be back to my usual self very soon.  Maybe a kick up the butt.

Take Care

Love Tess

xxxx

Tess1950

Hi Jill, I was just signing out when I saw your message which made me laugh.  It's good to know your sense of humour is back.  Just fetched Daniel home and then took him back to work.  All he kept saying was can't you go faster I can walk quicker.  I did offer to let him try but he declined.

Let me know what plan you and your cat come up with.  That will be interesting.  The worst bit is if you put your foot in it.

I had better think about going up the wooden hill as my mum used to say when I was a child. Not that I have ever grown up.  Being picked up at 9 to go on the beach.  I don't think anyone trusts me.  I wonder why?

Sleep tight

Love Tess

xxxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Yeh ,the stuffing up the computer thing, I've done that it's a bugger,get me very stressed computers .Came home at tea time to a nice fresh t**d in the hall thanks to elderly Yorkie, me and the cat are now working on a plan together .....Mother in law gone into rehab ,never even knew she had a drug problem....
Tess1950

Hi Jill, things go from bad to worse.  I have messed the computer up.  I am the one that usually sorts out the problems if it goes wrong.  I have to save what we want on a stick (can't remember what it is called) then a friend is clearing everything and starting from the beginning.  He is a computer expert and he can't work out what I have done he just knows how to fix it.  It all started because I couldn't get the internet then no idea what happened.  Never mind I have given someone a challenge. Woman LOL

I have done short distance driving but when we get loan car when ours is being repaired I will have to be very careful.  Dogs are not allowed so will put a blanket in the back but it did say small car.  I have a 7 seater so hope I can get my dog in as we have to do the beach.  That keeps me sane.  No that's the wrong word as at the moment that I am not.  Keeps me calm.  When I go out with friends they are all saying we will pick you up. I wonder whyWoman Wink

On monday my friend is driving me up to see my mum.  I can't travel 100 miles at 30mph as it will take forever.

She is not happy as my friends car is smaller and she is annoyed that Ken isn't coming.  Ken is working really hard to get as many jobs done as possible. He is really struggling with his hip and his knees which need replacing.  He is getting in and sitting down and falling asleep. I wake him for dinner that is if I have cooked any.  He eats that and goes back to sleep.

My son has just rang from work and he has to come home and pick up some glasses as he has broken the ones he has on.  I would never find them so have to bring him home and then take him back.  Watch out Norwich here I come. Woman LOL

I will try and take your advice about resting as I know you are right but when I get upset I just work and push myself much too hard.

Take Care

Thinking of you as I know how hard the waiting game is.

Love Tess

xxxx

riversidedawn

Hi Tess, my top tips for coping with chemo are to keep a routine and exercise, keep positive (ha, fat chance!) and eat healthily! I've got 2 kids so had to be up for school run and I worked mostly through chemo on reduced hours (although got made redundant about a month before it ended!) I also went to yoga / Bodybalance / Bodycombat / swimming 5-6 times a week from 3 weeks after my MX. I really think the routine helped. I've read so many posts of people saying they are still in PJs and duvet on the sofa at lunchtime and they felt rough but I think it's a self fulfilling proficy. You can sit on the sofa feeling sick and sorry for yourself, or be out in the fresh air or yoga and still feel sick but may actually make you feel better!

marli

Riversidedawn - that solves the mystery as to why my knees are so much worse now that during chemo. Was told 5 years ago was close to needing knee replacement but not keen so did exercise and Pilate's and have kept it at bay. During chemo I felt that I could have walked miles but now find a walk round the shops very painful. At least I know it is not in my imagination. x

Jill1998
Community Champion

I'm not sure driving and being asleep are very compatible.....I hope the DVLA don't monitor this website or we will be in trouble. Saying that my Dad at 85 is still a worse driver than both of us and they haven't caught up with him yet! Ironic that all you have to be able to do is see to continue driving!Tess,I know it's boring but have you thought of following your own advice and getting some more rest? What wig are you going for, I hear they all have names like" brandy " yuck!Hope you feeling more rested after the weekend.Bet you will be causing tail backs driving at 30, tell Ken you can get done for driving too slow.
Tess1950

Hi, thanks for your reply. That does give me some reassurance.  My Consultant said that my back pain would be worse and he recommended stronger medication. I said a no to that one as I am on strong medication  already.  I had acupuncture today and that has not helped.  I had someone new and so very different from my other one. I just hope with the next chemo the pain gets easier.  Have you any tips for getting through chemo that you found helped? So far I have crashed the car and keep falling asleep.  My memory has lost the capacity to function and I keep forgetting things.Woman Wink  I laugh but it does get to you occasionally and I think how could I be so stupid.  I went into the garden to get my nail varnish tonight.  Was on my way to the bathroom. Woman Wink My poor hubby is so good but he is even getting forgetful.  I think I am passing it on.

Take Care

Love Tess

xxxx

Tess1950

Hi Jill, hope they sort out the kerb and if not try and avoid it. I know about kerbs that jut out. Woman WinkThere is more damage to the car than we thought. Ken says I must not go over 30mph and I said even in a 40 limit. Woman LOL He said whatever limit no faster than 30. How can I go down to the beach on a 60mph road doing 30. That would make me the most popular person on earth. NOT! I can just imagine the havoc that would create. When I drive I always put a small cushion in front of my non bood and think that stopped me from hurting my non boob. Whatever you do keep away from Norfolk as it's not safe as there is a mad lady driver that runs into other cars. Woman Wink

I went to exercise class this afternoon and on the wind down exercise I fell asleep. I am so so tired all the time. Very embarrassing. Woman Sad 

I have a wig fitting at 8.45 in the morning.  My friend said she will drive. I wonder why? Woman Wink

My memory has got so bad that I stood in front of the taps and couldn't even remember which was cold and which was hot.  How sad is that ? Woman LOL Even now just nodded off.  My friends mum who has had chemo said I will get worse. Bring it on as I have no intention of giving up and will fight it all the way.

Life in interesting to say the least.  That is if I can keep awake.

Keep resting

Take Care

Love Tess

xxxx 

Jill1998
Community Champion

Well Tess, I suppose it was an accident waiting to happen as they say !Poor you it's really scary having a bump,I got breathalised when I had an accident, was right opposite my sons school at lunchtime and was very embarrassing.They do it as a matter of routine after every accident they attend but still makes you feel like a criminal.You def did right thing getting back in the car again as it definitely shakes your confidence and you need the car to give you freedom and independence amongst all of this.Im looking forward to terrorising the local area again soon , hope they've fixed that troublesome kerb opposite the newsagents it's a danger to the public.....
riversidedawn

Tess, hope this reassures you, I had chemo from October 2014 to April this year and was amazed that my back pain of 25 years went away along with IBS symptoms. Unfortunately both returned in may. Doc and osteopath said that's common because of anti inflammatory property of chemo and steroids! Hope you get some relief.
Tess1950

Hi Jill, glad to see that your sense of humour is shining through. Do hope you are continuing to improve.  The inevitable happened today I crashed the car.  I went round a roundabout the correct way I hasten to add.  I clipped the kerb.  In my defence the kerb does jut out but I cannot justify it really as I go that route to the beach at least 3 times a week. The car shot over to a bollard which I ran over and stopped when I hit the car coming the other way.  Did you know if you run over a bollard it springs back up.  It does as I experienced it.  I thought the car would stop when I came to the bollard.  Thought wrong there. It was all I could do to control the steering  haven't a clue what my feet were doing as it happened so fast.  Luckily I wasn't driving fast. Luckily no injuries.  The other lady was driving her brother in law's car.  I felt so awful for her.  I think I went white because I was so shocked and everyone was so kind. I didn't blab until Ken got there.  We were both breathalysed but obviously clear.  New experience. Ken has sorted out insurance tonight and has made me relax today and waited on me hand and foot.  Our car came off worst but it is driveable. While the police were directing the traffic an old couple went past with foot full on accelerator pedal.  Someone made a comment and the policeman looked at me and laughed and said at least they got round the roundabout. Ouch Woman Wink I shall have to be so careful as it has really scared me.  Bloody chemo brain or lack of one. Ken drove me to beach and on way back we picked his van up and I drove the car home.  Still shaky but he said if I didn't go back and drive I would lose my confidence.  I managed to get home in one piece.  Chemo definitely gets into the brain. It is very scary. A friend suggested Ken buy me a tractor as I would be safe in that but maybe a tank would be better.Woman LOL  I really wish things would stop happening.  This afternoon we both had a massage at the Big C Centre and that helped us to relax.

Take care and keep relaxing (I am assuming that is what you are doing but they do say one should never assume.

Love Tess

xxxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Tess ,have you and Ken ever thought of going on the stage,you could be a bit like a male/female Chuckle Brothers they made a fortune .....We still have mother in laws incontinent Yorkie and looks like he may be here for a while as she has to go into a rehab unit before going home.My dog is very fed up,cannot understand why he is being neglected going out with dog walker rather than us ,although hopefully later this week I will be out and about with him again.He is also having his nose pushed out by Yorkie. Cat is plotting Yorkie's demise aka Tom and Jerry,fully expect to find trap door in kitchen floor neat his food bowl soon....
Tess1950

Hi Jill, glad to hear that you are improving. Do you feel very tired? Tuesday is quick which is good. You can request a copy of your report then.  I think my driving might be even worse than your father in law's.  Went to keep fit this morning and nearly forgot to turn at a roundabout so careered round there. I think it was on four wheels but not sure as turn was very quick as was going straight on and then realised I should be turning first left. I had a pamering session at the Big C this afternoon. When I got there I could only find one very tight parking space.  Normally I can reverse straight in.  I had to ask a man to do it for me as coordination and distance out.  He must have thought silly women but he very kindly did it.  I do have front and rear parking sensors but don't trust myself to react to those quick enough.  Bless him he did it for me.In the make up session I put eyebrow pencil on my eyelid.  At the time I couldn't even say eyelid I couldn't think of the word so said the bit where you put eyeshadow. Woman Wink I also kept dropping things. Memory and trying to say certain words is really hard but I am keeping everyone amused. Ken took me to Boots tonight just before they closed as I had run out of face serum.  He grabbed a fleece and off we went.  I said are you coming in with me and he said I can't I have my slippers on.  What I didn't realise he also had MY fleece on as he just grabbed mine as he couldn't see his.  There is a big difference in size.  When we got home I said what fleece have you got on and he said yours. I knew there was something different about him but couldn't work out what. He looked so funny I couldn't stop laughing. He truly is changing into a mini me. God help the world. The really hard bit is the tiredness which means I should be sitting down but my brain does not appear to have got the message.Woman LOL I will get there eventually but that is so difficult for me.  I get annoyed when I fall asleep all the time. 

Your hubby is typical man not getting his ankle sorted but I can understand that he wants to look after you. Do you still have your mother-in-law's dog? I am dog walking on the beach tomorrow if I remember the way. Hopefully I won't have to dress like an eskimo as the forecast says warmer.  Yesterday I managed to come back looking like a drowned rat.  As soon as I got there it chucked it down but when I got home it stopped. Dogs don't mind the rain and get set in a routine and they know whatt ime they go for a walk and follow you around just to let you know.I am signing off now as nodding off with a hot flush.

Thinking of you

Keep resting and taking good care of yourself

Don't end up dippy like me

Love Tess

xxxx 

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Tess,how are you doing you must be knackered.I am up and about, a bit sore,got appointment for results next Tuesday which is quick will know more about what happens next then.Whilst I am unable to drive my elderly father has kindly agreed to terrorise the roads on my behalf!He appears to have forgotten that you need to use indicators to help alert traffic to what you are about to do next,he managed to get here 60 miles on motorway unscathed but I'm not sure about the other drivers....I have had to content myself with minor mishaps on the house instead ,falling over recycling boxes etc My husband is still hobbling ,he should have gone to A and E but couldn't bear the thought of being in a caste while all this is going on with me and his Mum
Tess1950

Hi Jill, so glad you surived.  That about sums it up to start off with.  You will start to feel better but your feelings are normal.  Normal for us anyway.  It's not wanting to talk about it as it is so overwehelming you have to digest it yourself first.  Sometimes I feel ok and other times it hits me like a ton of bricks.  I go between reality and denial.  Weird I know but that is how I am. When everyone tells you how well you are doing it does get too much as I find the kindness really hard.  Don't know whether that makes any sense or not?I have been on beach this morning but absolutely cream crackered.  Still got my chemo brain and keep forgetting things and have dropsy.  Ken is praying that it is not permanent as it appears he is catching it. He left without phone and walking stick yesterday and I had to chase after him (that means walking slowly as only funcion on that mode at the minute).  He also put car keys down and didn't know where. He has had chemo sickness and upset tummy so he is coming out in sympathy. I said he could keep that bit I didn't mind. Hope your hubby is improving.  Is he more mobile?

Thinking of you

Take good care of yourself

Love Tess

xxxx 

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Tess,I survived.Hope you have survived your first week of chemo and not caused any more calamities in the local area and Ken hasn't done anything more to bump himself up the list for new knees.My sense of humour appears to have temporarily deserted me ,I am feeling very grumpy and anti social ,just hid when a friend knocked at door hopefully that will wear off and I will see funny side again soon.Hopefully next time I post I will be in a better mood.
Tess1950

Hi Jill, this is the second time I have written this. I don't know where the first one disappeared to. OOPS! I thought I would make you laugh for when you are well enough to come back on here.  Hope everything went well and you are not feeling too bad. That is if you managed to find the hospital this morning. I have been thinking of you today especially at lunchtime for some reason. Take it easy and rest.

I am suffering from the chemo brain. Put the car keys down and 20 minutes later could not find them.  In the process of looking for them I lost my sunglasses.  After 10 minutes I found them but was late for my exercise class.  I can usually balance on 1 leg but today whilst doing it my arms were flapping about and I was moving along the floor. I looked as though I was trying to take off. They were all in stitches as I am normally good at that. After I got home I found my sunglasses about 3 hours later by which time the sun had gone in.  I fed my dog with 3 forks.  I obviously like washing up. NOT! I also dropped her food. Came off HRT when diagnosed so was getting hot flushes.  Chemo can give you hot flushes so getting double dose.  I am either dripping or shivering.  At the moment I have the heating on.  Ken is fast alseep I think the heat has knocked him out. Bless him. How is your hubby?

I thin I have sent this reply to myself so I don't know whether you will see it.  I definitely am worse than normal. Pity everyone around me they will need protection.

If you see this take care.

Love

Tess

xxxx 

Tess1950

Hi Jill, great minds think alike as I was just thinking about sending you a message to wish you all the best for tomorrow and that I will be thinking of you.  If I was capable I would drive up to take you but you probably wouldn't make it as my driving is on par with yours. Woman Wink Has your hubby been to the hospital and if so how did he get on? My hubby tripped over a wooden gate post today and just stopped himself going flat on his face but jarred his knee.  He is close to having the required number of points to have two new knees but keeps putting it off.  If his knees had been okay he wouldn't have fell through the roof.  Men what would you do with them? I thought women were thought to be the brainless ones Woman LOL  I might try sitting in the sea while you are away as having loads of hot flushes.  My dog did lots of swimming today and I was so tempted to join her.  I find the beach very relaxing and it helps me a lot.  Driving there is a bit hairy though but I managed it. Didn't fall asleep. Take good care of yourself and I will be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing from you when you are well enough.  I will try to be good. Honest. Woman Wink

Wishing you all the best its not as bad as you think.  I was petrified but it was okay and you will be alright.

Lots of Love and Hugs,

Tess

xxxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Tess,hope you are ok.Roads will be a lot safer tomorrow as I will be unconscious ...Apart from between 7 and 7.30 as I will driving self to hospital as husband can still hardly walk.... Don't go sitting in any ponds or anything while I'm not around to supervise you....
Tess1950

Hi Jill, only just seen your ps.  I had a thought, maybe you could train husband and dog to use to pee bottle.  I must admit I have a vivid imagination and the husband will be no problem to train but I would love to see you train an eldery dog. Woman Wink You could make a film of it. Woman Very Happy  I am actually going to text Daniel my son and tell him to get a taxi home tonight.  He never has money so will leave money for him.  I think I will have an early night as tired and got exercise class to which I have to drive to tomorrow.  I will let you know how I get on.

Hope you sleep well tonight. 

Love Tess

xxxx

Jobey68

Bless you Tess thank you, I'm just glad that sharing my experience is helping, it's a very personal thing to go through I know but we all seem to be going through the same emotions and although you may not believe or feel it right now things do get better so hang in there my love and you will come out the other side 😊😊Xx
Tess1950

Hi Jo, you are an inspiration to us all. I am not sure I spelt that right my brain is on slow mode. Had chemo today and everyone was so kind.  I feel okish but now about to read the literature they gave me to read  before I had the chemo. Better late than never.  Life is **bleep** sometimes and like you, I won't let the b......d win. My Dad had a stroke many years ago and after that he used that word often.  I seem to be taking after him Woman Wink  I do have down times but I then kick myself up the a..e and find something funny to focus on.I must admit I am not sure how I will feel a few days down the line and that is a bit scary but now I am in a positive mode. I keep doing such silly things, so unintentionally I keep myself amused. My hubby is following suit and getting as forgetful as me.  When we got home we both forgot what tablets I had to take and when.  Luckily my friend sorted it for us.  We were both convinced we had absorbed the information and understood fully. We got that one wrong. Woman LOL 

Thank you for your kind words and I am so sorry you have suffered such pain as it must have been very hard for you.  You did it though and came out the other end. One brave lady.

Take care

Love Tess

xxxx

Tess1950

Hi Jill, you decided to go the scenic route. Much nicer that way Woman Wink Your poor hubby must be in a lot of pain.  Hope he gets sorted tomorrow.  We went to chemo got off to a brilliant start as got stuck in loads of traffic due to roadworks everywhere.  When we got there Ken went to the boot and I thought oh deary me! Last night I emptied the boot and put his walking stick in the hall. OOPS!  I thought I was being efficient and he was already organised by leaving it in the car. We had a fair bit of walking to do so I am not aiding his recovery. Good job he knows me well.  Had cold cap and chemo. I was petrified but they were brilliant.  Didn't mind that we were late.   My friend asked what the cold cap was like and I said cold. Well it was but it was okay.  I think because I had a heat pad on my back it compensated for the cap.  Ken took photo as it looks rather like a riding hat. Was waiting for my horse but it probably got lost on the M6. Woman Wink They tried the medium cap but that was too big.  I said it would be as there is not much of a brain up there at the minute.  We had tea, coffeee, squash, biscuits, sandwiches and yoghurt.  I thought I had better eat as might not feel like it later.  Ken also got the same treatment.  Well the food and drink not the other.  They made us feel so comfortable and were so kind and caring. I feel okish tonight.  Bit weak and slight headache but nothing major.  My nurse has told me to read the notes on chemo, I know I should have done that before I went.  Ignorance is bliss sometimes.  It is also finding time to fit everything in. Ken wouldn't let me do anything this afternoon and has been brilliant.  So when he went out I hoovered and did some washing. Bit sneaky but I did feel alright until after I had done it.  Our friend had to sort tablets out they gave me.  Both Ken and I thought we understood what to take and when and then we both got muddled and forgot.  I won't be in the pond tonight as bought floor fan and hand held fan to keep me cool with the hot flushes. Bliss.Woman Happy 

Will your mother in law get help when she comes home?  Will she be well enough to have her dog home as I would think she misses him/her terribly. I forgot to ring my mum tonight so the brain is functioning on minus again. She goes to bed earlier and earlier and it's now 8 and I remembered at 8.45. Another fine mess I got myself into.

Did you go into work today? As I was sitting relaxing having chemo I thought that you would probably be hard at work. Try and get some rest if possible as you will need to be strong for your op. Are you hoping to come out the same day?

Thinking of you lots as you make me smile a lot, you have a great sense of humour.

Love Tess

xxxx

Jobey68

Hi Tess, I can totally relate to mind and body detaching themselves from one another! I seriously don't know how I've functioned these past few months, I've got in the car many times and then just found myself at work or the supermarket without any recollection of how I got there, I keep saying to hubby after all this I will die in a bloody car crash at this rate!!
Losing my friend was just awful, she was my cousins partner although I knew her long before they got together, we shared a birthday and had been close for over 30 years, life is damn cruel at times, I also lost my mum 12 years ago to breast cancer so have seen it first hand twice but the B*****d ain't getting me thats for sure ! I'm out the other side feeling great and enjoying my life to the full again xx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Ps ,the equipment to stop husband peering on floor would be useful,avoid anymore unnecessary accidents....
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hey Tess,I didn't cause a pile up on M6!I did drift off for a whole in between Leyland and Preston but it's only 20 miles...Suddenly thought how the b**** y he'll did I get here?I guess you recognise that feeling?Hubby can hardly walk going to A and E tomorrow ,now his Mums house is sorted she can go home to cause more mayhem and he can get put in plaster....Ancient dog has decided to mix it up a bit and poo in the kitchen and wee in the lounge rather than the other way round ...all good fun...Hope you ok after your first day at chemo .Don't go sitting in the pond I don't want to see you on the news!
Tess1950

Hi Disastrous Jill, Good job I wasn't on the M6. I was on the A47 then A16 so luckily we didn't collide. Woman Wink  I just had to ask Ken which roads I drove on and have been travelling there now for over 30 years. What a dipstick I am.  I drove some of the way there and some of the way back as Ken's hip is playing up as he has done too much.  My back is also playing up which is not good timing.  I pulled out onto the main road in Skegness and Ken yelled. Good job he did as there was a car turning in and I hadn't seen it. What an idiot I am.  I am sure I left my head at home. It would help if I could find it and reconnect.  I am making Ken nervous so I only drove about 40 miles on the way home and let him do the rest. He is really good though as he asked if I was ok to drive and I said yes so he let me carry on driving.  Brave man or have I killed his brain off to? I definitely am dangerous. Poor Ken has a white knuckle ride but he does have a sense of humour.  He has to, he married me. Woman LOL Saying that I was never as bad as this before.  I shall watch the news soon to see if there is anything about incidents on the M6 and I will know it is you. Woman Wink

My Mum bless her has given up and wants to go to sleep and not wake up.  I think she has a chest infection. I am going to speak to the doctor without her consent and see if he will visit her. Last time I tried I couldn't get past the receptionist but this time I won't be such a pushover.

How did your driving go?  Did you manage to sort everything out for your mum in law to come home? I bet you are emotionally drained.

Are you at work tomorrow?

My chemo day tomorrow and my friend just rang and said good luck but you don't have any choice really and we both laughed.  She understands as her mum and sister have had cancer and her mum had chemo. Her mum got really forgetful with chemo and my friend said there's no hope for me.  We took my mum for coffee today and I told Ken to turn left. I meant right really and he guessed that, as on the left was a row of shops. 

You mentioned MOT on your car.  Thanks as you have reminded me that our MOT is due in July I think but am going to check as you don't get a reminder sent for mot. I also think Ken's van is due so will check that also.  I hope to be doing this tomorrow after chemo but I had better write it down and stick it on my forehead or I will forget.Woman Frustrated

Hope your hubby gets sorted soon.  I have all the aids you may borrow for  a man who can't walk to the loo so they don't have to do it on the floor.  Woman Wink 

I was sitting here and could here a rustling noise and kept looking about but couldn't see anything.  There is a carrier bag under computer desk and it was my foot moving around on top of the bag. Woman Surprised

It's so good to know someone like me and I keep thinking of you and know you will get through this as you are strong and have a good sense of humour.  Mind you it is hobson's choice really but we are in charge of how we handle it so do have some control.  That is when our brain lets us.Woman Wink

Take Care

Love Tess

xxxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Maybe we should change the name of this thread to f******g hell what else can possibly go wrong!Thank you for worrying about me Tess.I am having to drive to Liverpool for the second time in 2 days today as husband cant drive/walk to move mother in laws bedroom downstairs so she can come home.Had to hire teenage son and his friend to help and take 2 dogs with me.........Husband going to go to A and E when we have managed to do that and take car for MOT!Friend is now taking me to hospital Thursday?will be glad to go into hospital for a rest!If you hear of mad woman on rampage in vicinity of M6 today it could be me!Hope chemo not as bad as you fear!Trod in a puddle of we this am rather than a poo as day before(hopefully was the elderly dog and not the husband).
Tess1950

Hi Jo, many thanks for your words of encouragement.  You said you got off lightly but there is no such thing, as cancer is cancer.  There are so many different types but what we all have in common is we all have the same emotions.  It is difficult for all of us and yes we have to have a sense of humour and be very strong.  The forum really does help in so many ways.  At the moment my head appears to have detached itself from my body.  I went to the shop to get some things and got to the car and realised I had forgotten what I went in for. Back in I went and got the chicken for my dog.  Just realised she will be eating it raw as forgot to cook it. When I got home I started to make a salad and realised I had forgotten to buy potato salad and coleslaw. Things have changed so much as I used to make them now can't even remember to buy them. In the end we made do with what we had.  My hubby is so good as cooking a meal seems out of my depth at the minute. I have just put chicken in oven as we mix it with the dog food. I actually remembered to turn the oven on. Woman LOL I think it must be the thought of the chemo.  I am not scared about the chemo but do not know what the side effects will be.  I could lose my hair and then I can be called Baldilocks Woman Wink  I am so glad you can get your life back on track and hope you have a lovely holiday.  I might have said that before but a bit muddled at the minute.

Losing a friend is very hard as you know from your own experience.  It must have been very hard for you as she died of cancer and you must miss her lots. My hubby today was writing a message to the daughter of our friend who died.  He couldn't finish it as he couldn't stop crying.  I cuddled him and we had a good cry together.  Life if definitely s..t sometimes.

I have a bad back and it chose today of all days to play up.  My nerves trap and my leg and arm goes numb and the pain makes me feel sick. I am not supposed to carry anything like shopping.  My hubby went potty when I got home with the bags and said he would have gone.  I actually didn't intend to get that much but then I never do.  Perhaps one day my brain will work and I will let someone else do the shopping.Mind you you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Woman Wink Seriously I must listen to my body and get the brain to do as it's told but that is a really hard one.  

Sorry if I have been rambling (think that is a word) on I am jittery at the minute. Knowing how far you have come has given me hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Take Care 

Love Tess

xxxx