may have to have change tamoxifen due to blood clot

Hello ladies

not yet taking tamoxifen but due to bllod clot on my lung and having blood thinning injections i now will have to take a different medication. I am worried as tamox is supposed to be the gold standard and not sure what i will be put on . Is anyone else on different meds need some reassurance and advice please love Gill 

You don’t mention how old you are, and if you are pre or post menopausal, They might put you on one of the Aromotase Inhibitors like Arimidex/Anastrazole or Letrozole. They are sometimes given to pre-menopausal women but are usually the best choice for post menopausal women. They work in a different way to Tammy, but still prevent your body from producing Oestrogen.

Best Wishes

poemsgalore xx

Hi Venice25,

I had small clots on my lung and have been on Clexane injections. After my chemo and surgery were over, my onc referred me to a haematologist to plan anti-coagulation treatment. The plan is for me to be on Warfarin with the Tamoxifen. At the moment I’m still on the Clexane injections (waiting for anti-coagulation clinic appointment to plan the switch to Warfarin) and the haematologist told me I could start taking the Tamoxifen whilst on Clexane.

I asked my onc if instead of taking Tamoxifen I should have my ovaries switched off with Zoladex and then take an aromatase inhibitor. He said he preferred to use Tamoxifen as I’m pre-menopausal and that he has had plenty of other patients successfully on Tamoxifen + Warfarin. The haematologist told me that there was some emerging evidence that AIs “are not entirely innocent” either when it comes to the risk of clots, so apparently even if I was on an AI he would have prescribed Warfarin for me, so at the moment I’m happy enough to give the Tamoxifen a go.

As for whether the Warfarin completely negates the risk of a clot, he said there was a lack of hard evidence (disconcerting!) but that his opinion was that it should be ok. Not very reassuring, and I have to say I’m a bit nervous because my original PEs were asymptomatic and were only found because they showed up on my staging CT scan, so I’m not sure I’d be aware of it if another one formed. However, I need the benefit of Tamoxifen so I’ll have to go with it.

Nobody at any point suggested that I shouldn’t have hormone therapy at all because of the clotting risk, so I think there are plenty of options for you. Good luck.

Jx