cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maybe spread or new tumour in lung

8 REPLIES 8
sarah66

Re: maybe spread or new tumour in lung

Hi Tammy M , thanks for your message . I had. 6 cycles of taxol which worked well on lung tumour and shrunk it right down, the size size of little finger nail apparently, taxol was doable had lots of bits of side effects no nausea, trouble with finger nails rising off nail bed.

Had 2 ct scan first showed shrinkage to breast and lung but 2nd scan this month showed owed shrinkage to lung not breast, so awaiting referral to breast surgeon re possible mastectomy. I feel ok just tired at the ,moment and frustrated at not knowing the next step.

Good luck with your reresults
Sarah xx

TammyM

Hi - I realise this thread is from last year, but I would really like to know how Sarah66 is getting on. I am awaiting my PET results for a lung tumor. But it is only 4mm in diameter, so my Onc doesnt think the PET will pick it up. In which case I'll have to wait 6 months for another CT scan to see what has happened to it. I would be very interested to know Sarah how you are doing and what has happened in your treatment etc since last year. I sincerly hope you are doing well and send you lots of love and good vibes!
Lemongrove, if you read this - you are inspirational. I've seen many of your posts and it would seem you have the strength of an army! Thanks for always taking the time to give people true and lengthy answers.
xx
Lemongrove

Good luck Sarah, and remeber to talk about Cyberknife, because if it is an isolated tumour it might help.

sarah66

Hi thanks for your replys, i think it is definately on the lung, did have a PET scan which showed the lung tumour was active but they do not know if it is spread from the breast or a new primary got to wait for another apppointment to see lung dr , Getting really fed up and want action !!!! ha ha easier said than done i know. So looks like i will be having more chemo , thought i had got away with out having that !!!!

Sarah 66 xx

Lemongrove

Sarah, I'm sorry you have this worry hanging over you, and am going to provide a fairly long-winded reply which I hope will help.
Firstly with regard to the diagnosis. I think it's quite difficult for doctors to diagnose a lung metastases, because sometimes suspicious areas, can be scar tissue (particularly if a patient has had radiotherapy). For example, I have a suspected lung met, but they are not absolutely sure because it has remained solitary and the same size for quite a while (which is unusual). I am now on Capecitabine (an oral chemo), and they say if it shrinks then it is definitely a met, but if remains unchanged they will have to rethink. Your doctors could do a Pet scan, which gives the best view, but the only fullproof way of diagnosing a lung met is to do a biopsy - but that carries risks, and your doctors may be reluctant to do it.
Secondly, what I would say is that if you have a solitarysmall lung met, you might want to discuss the possibility of having Cyberknife Stereotactic Radiotherapy, which unlike conventional radiotherapy can be given at a curative dose, because it is so precise. Three NHS hospital have this machine (The Royal Marsden, Barts and Mount Vernon), and the Queen Elizabeth in Birmingham are on the point of getting it. Obviously,if you now have secondary cancer, it will not cure you, because other mets could pop up elsewhere, but it will sort out the lung met, and others may take a long time to get going. There is currently a problem getting funding for treatment (and I have a facebook petition which you may like to sign), but the Govt have just set up an emergency radiotherapy fund (similar to the emergency drugs fund), which is being adminstered jointly by the National Radiotherapy Implementation Group, and Cancer Research UK, and your doctor may be able to secure funding this way, if your PCT/commissioning group refuse to fund treatment. If you would like a bit more info about Cyberknife, please feel free to pm me, or go to a charity I have helped set up called www.ukcknetwork.co.uk
Thirdly, with regard to whether the mastectomy or treatment of lung met should come first. I would say it depends on how fast the lung met is growing. The bottom line (sorry to be blunt), is that you have to breath to stay alive, and so if it looks like the lung met is going to be problematic, you will probably be well advised to get that under control first. Having said that the Prof that treats me say's there is very strong evidence that removal of the primary prolongs life (by as much as 50%), so removal should be on your list of to do's.
Again I'm sorry you may be joining us secondary peeps, but try not to think it's an immediate death sentence. The media portray cancer as either a curable disease, or a deadly killer that fells people in 5 minutes, and that is just not true. People with primary cancer do survive, but they can never claim to be cured, because cancer can return years later - and similarly a secondary diagnosis is not an immediate death sentence. There are many people on this forum, who have been living with secondaries for over ten years (even those with triple negative cancer). There are a huge range of treatments, and people on here will provide you with lots of information and support. So chin up chicken.

tracyld

Come on you secondary ladies please help. I have no answers myself but sending you positive vibes to stay strong for your children. Thinking of you at this difficult time Love Tracy xxx
moorcow

Hi sarah, just bumping as this new site makes it so hard to get the support you need even tho everyone still wanting to offer it just hard to find each other! - best wishess

nannabarb

Thinking of you Sarah, will bump to get some more helpful replies xxx
sarah66

maybe spread or new tumour in lung

Hi have a reccurance in the breast original in 2008 had chemo rads and lumpectomy. Now recurrance ,had loads of scan which show up ? small tumour in right lung. Now have to wait and see lung dr to establish if it is secondarys or new cancer??? Cannot stand all this waiting now nearly 6 weeks since first diagnosis of recurrance. Looks like it might now be chemo too , again. Also need a mastectomy but the drs do not seem to know which will take preferance the breast or lung at the momment !!!! Have 2 children 11 and 16. Also i am triple negative . Anyone had similar or has any advice , would be welcome Tanks all
Sarah66 xx