micropore tape on scars anybody????

hi there
im 5 weeks post op nearly 6 following a masectomy with reconstrction ld with inplant.
all wounds are closed they are now scars, but i still have to re dress my scars my self with micropore tape (spelling correct unsure ) was told this by a nurse 4 weeks ago to give it a smooth finish but very unsure on how long for as i thought that i had to massarge the scars after a few weeks just wandered if any body could shed any light on this to me does this sound normal.
thank you all xxxxxxxx

Not sure about the tape my surgeon told me to use E45 cream morning and night and really lather it on (her words). Not had reconstruction yet but my scars looks quite faded, when I had rads I didnt burn at all. Had mast 31 Jan 08

Hope I havent confused you more.

Karen

XX

Hi there,

When I had my bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction using tissue expanders my surgeon put Micropore tape on the wounds once the dressing and Steri-Strips were off. She said it gives extra support.

Trudie.

My surgeon advised me to use micropore or steri strips to help reduce scarring. It seems to have worked quite well.

It is interesting how everyone has different advice. I had DIEP on 8th Oct. I have the micropore tapes on after the dressing change. Once the wounds are closed and healed on week 4, my plastic surgeon gave me a couple of boxes of silicon scar tapes called Mepiform - I was told that it is an expensive stuff. He told me to tape the scar all the time after massaging it. I am to massage each scar minimum 10 minutes and wear the tape for several months. I was told that some patients’ scars fade away beatufully after prolonged use of the silicon scar tape. The nurse said that because the tape is expensive, it is not given away easily. My plastic surgeon also told me not to have sun on the scar for 6 months. It is all depending on the type of skin you have, some scars do not fade away easily and can be darker in colour.

hi thanks every body for replying . I have been trying to post on here for some days but my computer keeps rejecting it grrrrr so going to make it pretty short for now as spent ages typing previously and it getting wiped lol
hi keely was wandering how long did you keep dresing with micropore tape or sterie strips, nice to hear that somebody else has used it lol xxxx
hi miss piggy wowtat sounds good stuff didt get offered that lol sounds like depending on your hospital im in devon exeter but may be it because of the type of surgery im guessing it is the tummy they took from??? diep? or my hospital being slightly tight lol
thanks everyone for sharing there storys with me its ggod to chat when i can on here if it lets me send hehe
LOTS OF LOVE TO ALL XXXXXXXX