mum just got confirmed of cancer more to come

Hi All

this is my first time writing, although i have been reading comments for last 4 weeks(whilst waiting for results for my mum) My mum has had the mamo, scan and biopsy- its confirmed its cancer. Although didnt really need it confirming, kinda knew. My mum has gone down hill drastically in 5 weeks, from being totally active- working, going out etc. She is now unable to eat, walk, and has no strength. Drs are really concerned, they said its a complicated cancer and they have changed consultants. she has got to have bone and liver scans next week, just want to know, has or is anyone else experienced this rapid decline in health?

So sorry to hear that your mam is suffering so much. I can’t offer any advice as her situation is the opposite to mine - I was in and out of surgery so fast I hardly had time to think. Since then I have been handed a fair deal of grade 1 no nodes involved - no chemo and just past the half ways mark on rads. Went back to work 2 weeks after surgery and still working albeit shorter hours to fit in the rads sessions.

I can only offer some kind words and my hopes that your Mam’s health improves. It can be a long and difficult road to recovery and I am humbled that I am trotting along it with so few obstacles.

Hi Bridget,I’m wondering if your mam is any better and if she’s had any further test results yet.I know it’s a very worrying time for you both but hang on in there and do let us know what treatment she’ll be having and how she gets on.Once you get all the results you’ll know the fight you have on your hands and it will be all systems go.You are in my thoughts and prayers tonight that Mam’s health will soon improve.

Love Josie

Hi all

thanks for commenting, my mum is no better. she has had the liver and bone scans and we get the results this week. its concerning because it seems no one is really unwell on here, unless they are on treatment and its the affects of it. So i dont know why my mum has got really ill. it also seems that no one at the hospital is doing anything, everything takes so much time- waiting for tests, waiting for results. Like you say the treatment should start when we get the results from the liver and bone scan.

I am really sorry that your Mum’s health has not improved. I know it’s hard waiting for the results and it can seem like no-one is doing anything… however some tests do need time to do stuff before a result can be obtained and it’s not that they are just sticking her test to the bottom of the in-tray and ignoring it for days.

Has it been suggested at any point that the stress might be a factor in yur Mum’s decline? I have no personal experience in depression but I know my Mam had a bout of it years back and she lost her appetite and was very lathargic. I also have a friend who is not a coper and goes right in on herself when she has a problem to deal with - I do not mean this in a derogatory manner but is it possible that your Mum is shutting herself down so as not to cope with the situation?