Did you mean: 

my wound has started leaking

8 REPLIES 8
Rowan44

Re: my wound has started leaking

Yes I know I am a ANP 🙂

jillybee

I was a community nurse, we are not a bad lot....!!!

Rowan44

I was worried when it started to leak but its definitely settled down and the District nurses have been fantastic cant praise them enough 🙂

jillybee

Sounds as if you have just had some serous fluid leaking, which often happens after surgery, The DN team sound marvelous!

Rowan44

The district nurse came out and dressed it last night and it seemed to have slowed down by then . This morning I changed the dressing myself there was very little leakage there .

They rang this afternoon to have a progress report and all is well the dressing I put on is dry so I will leave it undisturbed , they said they would ring me again tomorrow to check if I need further dressings or a visit . I am very impressed . The night district service has just started and they have also rang and told me to ring if there is any problems but it seems to have settled down for now 🙂

jillybee

You have done all the right things. I had the option of going to the ward for dressings. But a few sterile dressings is what you need, I took what ever I could, from who ever I could, i.e. the ward, practice nurse, the clinic staff. It may quieten down, but I have had leaking areas on and off for some weeks.... Finally resolved, just a pain really!!

Let us know how you get on!:)

Rowan44

thanks Loubee , I just had phone call from the district nurse they will come to see me in the next 1-2 hours .

Loubee

I would see the nurse or doctor. Last Friday my wound on my back was sore, I just bathed it in salt & water & on Saturday it opened right up. I now have to get it packed & dressed a couple of times a week.
So, I would get it seen to, infections can spread quite quickly. Hope all's well & that you're feeling better soon. -x-
Rowan44

my wound has started leaking

I took my bra off last night and there is fluid leaking from the y part of the wound in my armpit , it had stopped when I talked to the breast care nurse this morning  so she said it would be fine till after the weekend  and keep an eye on it  this afternoon but it has started oozing even more this afternoon . Its not painful  and the fluid is pinkish , I am on flucloxacillin for 2 more days  will the fluid keep draining from the little hole or will it gradually dry up ? I didnt ask what to do if it started leaking again I have some sterile gauze swabs that I am keeping over the hole and I have contacted the district nurse team they said they would visit sometime tonight

I see the surgeon on wednesday next week so I guess not too long to wait

Rowan