new and keeping a close watch

Hi all.
I thought I would join a forum to ask for some advice here.
To start a little background history. I have 3 sisters, 2 of which had breast cancer. 1 of them sadly no longer here.
About 4 years ago, I had a mammogram done after finding a small lump, which proved to be ok, but they still did a biopsy as I had microcalcifications in my left breast. I had a follw up one done a year later, but then moved to a different county. They did one more up here, and said all was ok and I didn’t need screening anymore unless there was a problem. I am 40 by the way, so not done regularly here at my age.

2 years ago I was diagnosed with a type of ovarian cancer, which led to a partial then a full hysterectomy, then 9 weeks of chemo.

I have recently had a few breast problems. About 6 weeks ago the armpits seemed swollen and a little achy. I checked with a member of the oncology team, but the person I saw was at the end of a shift, was running 4 hours late and had no idea about my case. She said it was probably just an infection. I was due for my blood test results I had done 2 weeks prior but they had gone missing, and she said not to worry all should be ok. She never sent me for an xray either like they usually do.

Anyway, after this I also developed serious itching over my body, especially on both breast, tops of my arms, around my collar bone both sides and down my sides. Probably irrelevant, but thought I would mention it. Saw my one gp who said to try e45 which gives some relief even though just temporary.

About a month ago, I noticed what looked like a blood blister, but not raised on my left breast. This developed over a few days changing to look like a small bite (looked like 2 marks in the middle), and had a red rash around it. My breast still itched alot, so could have been caused from scratching. Again I saw my gp after another couple of days and my breast feeling tender leading away from the sore. I thought it was maybe infected. He said it didnt look infected and gave me a cream to try for 5 days. This didnt clear it up. I still have a sore there now. It is a scab, with a white ring then a red ring round it. It is not getting any better. Anyway, my other breast got a nip from a child at work. (I work with children with autism and a 4 year old got me). This had a similar appearance and 2 sores. It scabbed like the other one, but now has healed. The scabs have gone and left just a slight red mark where they were. This has made me realise how the other one isnt clearing up.

Also the right breast over the last 2 weeks has grown and seems swollen. I first noticed this when I started nearly popping out of normal wear bras on this side. It has always been slightly bigger, but it has definitely got bigger again. Yesterday I took off my bra to also see a red rash down the side, (which could be chafing from bra), and today my bra felt really uncomfortable on that side… it also feels alot heavier than the other one. After talking to my partner he measured them as if I was going for a bra and overall I have suddenly gone up 2 cup sizes, which I am guessing is from this breast.

I just wondered if anyone on here has had any similar problems, or can give advice. I am booking an appointment with my gp, but have been told they are completely overbooked for the next 2 weeks at least.
I am not particularly worried but I guess I am concerned enough to start looking this up and seeking advice from people.
Many thanks
Jo

Morning Jo,
The visit to your GP is really the only solution to get an answer on this . I would ring the docs surgery and mention your concerns and get an urgent app. You should not have to wait 2 weeks to see someone. Mention the words breast cancer and they should get you in, especially considering your history. Do not wait 2 weeks. For me the waiting would be totally unbearable. I would need to put my mind at rest. Love Tracy xxx

Morning Jo
i second waist tracyld says, when I found my lump, I rang my gp the next days and was told they where fully booked but mentioned I had found lump and they gave me an emergency appointment. If your GP is still unconcerned I would ask to be referred to the breast cancer clinic for your own peace of mine.
hope you get it sorted soon.
pLucylou

Hi Lucy and Tracy… Have been having a further inspection today with my partner. The right one is def swollen down the side/under arm, and the nipple is going a slightly diff direction to the other. Either that or the other has changed shap and my right one is just normal. Hard to tell, but we can tell that they both look different.
Am going to push for an appt on Tues. I just hope he doesnt think I am being a hypochondriac though. Having already had another type of cancer, I find everything gets blamed on the chemo, as late side effects, as the chemo I had was extremely aggressive, but I finished it just over a year ago now. It does make me more wary though of problems with my bosy. I was completely shocked to hear I had cancer last time, as I just kept ignoring symptoms and didnt want to make a fuss. Found out I had a huge tumour, and then during my 2nd surger, my full hysto, they found a 2nd large tumour too.
I guess this is why now I get a little paranoid about things.
Thanks both of you for reading my post and taking the time to answer me :slight_smile:

Amethyst 40 go and see your gp on Tuesday you need to been seen at a breast clinic soon and get this sorted once and for all forget you being told you have to wait to see your gp if they still try and put you off phone the hospital breast care nurse and tell them the problem you are having I am sure they will see you straight away good luck

Jo
you will always be worried once you have had any type of cancer. Go to the doctors and if they say there is nothing wrong then as to be referred to the clinic to be on the safe side and for yoand and your husbands peace of mind. I otherwise you will just continue to worry x

I am definitely going to talk to them on Tuesday and explain the situation. am sure its nothing to worry about. I think I would have more symptoms than this but will go for peace of mind. reading on here about different symptoms I am pretty sure it will be something like my hormones just having a hissy fit or something. thanks again for your replies x

Hi
Just thought I would update and thank those that replied for pushing my to go to the docs. I did get an appt yesterday after a lot of pushing but could only get with the nurse. After I had given her a full history and she had heard the symptoms, she did a thorough check then said she was off to talk to the doctor. When she came back in she told me I have an appointment today at 4pm with the doctor, despite them being fully booked for weeks and weeks. She said the doc would refer me but it needs to go through him not her. She was fantastic though and agreed that I am in the high risk category and that I should be having screening each year, so at least I know they will be kept an eye on in future.
Will update and let you know what happens. Hopefullly just to tell you all it was all good and to wish everyone else luck. xx

Hi Amethyst40

I am so glad that you pushed and eventually got an appointment. Keep us updated.

Good luck
Martha xx

Saw the doctor today and had a check and said he couldn’t feel any lumps (which I already knew as I check them myself) so all should be ok. He is referring me a mammo tho and more regular screening. He didn’t know where I stood on getting extra screening or the policy on it. From what I have read though, as I am in my early 40’s and already been told I am moderate to high risk due to family and my history I should be entitled to yearly screening.
Not sure he has put my mind at rest totally, but as he didnt seem too concerned I am a little more relaxed :slight_smile:

I’m so happy for you that she didn’t feel any lumps but he has done the right thing in referring you for a mammogram.

If you have the history in your family then you should be going for regular screening.

Let me know how your mammogram goes.

Good luck
Martha xx