new brand of tamoxifen

hi
been on wockhart since april this yr and this time they gave me aps
thought i would give them a go and took the 1st one last night
now,im probably expecting something different, but i had loads more flushes last night and today so far quite a few and i have a banging headache too
isit too quick for it to be the aps?
loads of cold bugs going round too
how long do i try for, a week? and will i have a problem going to pharmacist for my normal brand
thankyou

Hiya,
I’ve changed to APS from the other one too but never even considered the difference!! I’ve had a cold since Friday but there’s lots going round - so I’d say stick with it. Can there really be a difference between brands? Susie

Hi…There are a few older threads on differences between brands…BC sufferers posting seem convinced there are differences so I asked my Oncologist and she agreed that there does indeed seem to be enough evidence to suggest there is a difference. I know it sounds wierd as you’d expect the actual drug to be the same but I read somewhere it is to do with the outside coating of the tablets

From the posts I read, Generics(?) and Wockhardt seemed to be the ones that gave the most/worst SE’s with APS being the one people wanted to switch to. I started on Wockhardt 3 weeks ago and so far so good…some general aches but put that down to general fatigue from the whole trauma since dx on Oct 7th. But have been told effects cumulative as it is stored in the body to some extent.

Your symptoms could well be the effects of the different brand…check the ingredients on the label and see how many different ones there are.

Bettina x

Hi Bettina and Lincs lady! I was concerned after reading your first posting that there might be a difference so when I went to the doc this morning to get my repeat prescription, I asked the pharmasist - as he’s now given me Wokhardt again!! I’ve only had two lots of APS and haven’t noticed any difference. He says the only difference is the coating, as you say, and the dose of Tamoxifen has to be the same. Have had sweats for over a year and didn’t notice a change at all with the APS. Confused?!! Susie

Hello,
I have been on APS Tamoxifen and Zoladex for about 17 months.
My last prescription was a Wokhart Tamoxifen,i felt awful on it,flushing all day long,muscle ache,migraine.
My Pharmacist put me back on the APS Tamoxifen and i feel much better.The Pharmacist said another lady also recently had more symptoms on the Wokhardt brand.

Can I just add that it is possible to get a soluble form of Tamoxifen which is what I have.

Its called Soltamox and come in little two week supply bottles - I get two at a time from the GP. It has had no side effects that i can notice apart from the hot flushes of course!!

It tastes of liquorice but is really easy to take. The pharmacy have to order it in but arrives next day. I have to say that my new GP pharmacy had never heard of it - not prescribing it to many people then!!! - probably because its more expensive that the tablets.

Grace

well so far i feel ok, a bit better i think on aps though more flushes.
nearly finished 1 strip so im going to go through another strip before i go do battle with the pharmacist for a permanent change

Hello - I was on Wokhardt from April and found that I developed terrible joint pain (I know it’s not listed as a side-effect!) and was really getting quite down about it,so much so that I started a course of acupuncture. Do not have much trouble with flushes but am 57. Then, after pharmacy gave me a box of “mixed brands”(3) and lots of reading on this site I decided to change as I thought I had nothing to loose. Within 4 days pain was a lot better, more manageable. Acupuncture lady wondered if I was wasting money on treatments but thought I would not take the chance and stop. Knees will never be perfect as have moderate arthritis but at least I can walk upstairs now. So it is worth trying a different brand if you suffer SE’s and you can always go back.
Must say never heard of soluble tamoxifen,might investigate.
Marli