327796posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newly diagnosed extreme exhaustion

5 REPLIES 5

Re: newly diagnosed extreme exhaustion

Thank you PaulS, you were absolutely right.  My cancer hasn't spread beyond my lymph which is such a relief.

Thank you GLB38 - yes you are absolutely right about the sleeping and eating.

I received my CT and bone scan results today and they are CLEAR!!

So relieved.  It just goes to show that you can feel really exhausted, unwell, have aches and pains prior to diagnosis and NOT have secondary breast cancer.  It's important for the newly diagnosed to know this as looking on the internet, the only info on exhaustion pre-diagnosis and pre-treatment would seem to point to secondary breast cancer.  That clearly is not always the case.

I skipped out of that consulting room delighted that that I only have primary breast cancer  - isn't it strange how the goalposts move.

I think the stress of dealing with all of this, which makes it all like a living nightmare,  and the terrible stress of waiting for teats and results exhausts all of us, and the fear and anxiety don't go away so we don't really rest properly.  I completely agree that you need to listen to your body and be selfish in the sense that you should think first about yourself.  What you are feeling is completely normal given what you are dealing with and I was told that my adrenalin would be supercharged for weeks as the waiting and the tests and all the anxiety continue.  This rush of adenalin makes us exhausted! And then when things are more settled we can expect to crash.  And need some days to simply sleep and recover. My doctor told me this.  I like and trust him. 

So, this does NOT mean that the cancer has spread - it means you are human and you are dealing with a horrible situation that you have been catapulted into with no preparation. I won't say dont't worry because you won't be able to stop worrying, but try to do things that make you happy and be with people you care about.  This definitely helps.

Take care.

P x

Highlighted

Hi, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I am grade 3 invasive breast cancer and started my chemo soon after diagnosis. I felt exhausted and tired before chemo and during all the cycles it intensified. Waiting for results can also make you feel tired and anxious. The best advice I can offer you is listen to your body and if you need sleep...you must sleep. Try to eat healthy and walk in fresh air.

Take plenty of rest. Good luck GLB38

Hello SRPJ68

Welcome to the forums.  

This must be a very worrying time for you but you have come to the right place for support from our experienced users who I’m sure will be along to support you soon.

You may also like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

newly diagnosed extreme exhaustion

Hi I'm new here.

I have just been diagnosed with Lobular breast cancer - stage/grade 2 with lymph node involvement, hormone receptie positive (that's all I know at present).

I have MRI, bone scan and CT scans to come.  Obviously I'm terrified, but the thing that's frightening me the most is the crashing exhaustion that I feel - I can't go for even a short walk, even folding clothes makes my arms feel weak.  I'm told this is probably stress, but in truth I felt a bit week and wobbly weeks ago before I was worried about cancer and it's getting worse day by day.  This waiting to know what is going to happen and how far things have spread is driving me insane.

Did anyone else feel this extreme weakness and exhaustion on diagnosis and not had widespread cancer?  I'm terrified that this tiredness is being caused by the cancer having spread throughout my body.

Does cancer that hasn't spread everywhere make you feel so terrible?  The only info I can find online suggests that chemo/radiotherapy causes exhaustion with breast cancer.

I undersand that extreme stress can make you feel awful, but I have never felt physically like this before.  It's like flu without the fever.  I am eating and sleeping not too badly the past week or so, but eating doesn't alleviate the flu feelings.