newly diagnosed seconday and very scared

Hi everyone
On the 9th March it was confirmed that I had Invasive Ductal BC (grade 3) I was then told I would be having a lumpectomy and radiotherapy. I felt pretty positive and had got my head around it (as much as you can).
I mentioned at this meeting about my swollen glands on my neck - they did a needle biopsy and was told this Wednesday that it is cancerous. I’ve now been told my surgery will no longer go ahead, but they will wait the results of a CT and bone scan before deciding what action (the have suggested it might be 6 months of chemo)

I suddenly feel like everything is going against me. I’m really sorry to ask this when everyone seems so positive - but does this secondary cancer mean I will be given a time limit on my life - I’m really scared.
Thank you

Dear Linda

I am sorry to read that you have had this news and am sure that your fellow users will be along soon with support, please also feel free to call our helpline where you can talk through your feelings and concerns with someone in confidence. The lines are open 9-5 during the week and 9-2 on Saturdays.

Take care
Lucy

Hi Linda,first of all i’m really sorry to hear you’ve had this news.Everything is new and changing and it must be hard to get your head round it both mentally and physically.There are lots of treatments available and i’m sure once your medical team have sorted yours out some of the anxiety will subside.At the moment your in that horrible place of waiting,but your in the right place here to receive information and suppport.
Take care
Tracey

Hi Linda,

As Tracey says you are in the right place here - there is lots of support, and others who understand where you are at right now and who can help you with each step along the way. I do hope no one is going to tell you how much time you have - because honestly no one knows that answer. Your swollen glands or lymph nodes do not necessarily mean the cancer has spread - the scans are neccessary to establish that and determine what treatment you will need. But take your time to think about it - don’t be rushed. Ask what alternatives there are and then phone the helpline here and come and ask your questions. There are many of us here who have been LIVING with breast cancer for many years - I am not alone in saying I have had breast cancer for 21 years now (and 2ndaries for 9 years) and I am sure many of them will be posting here to encourage you. I think we would all agree here that this is a very frightening time but as you find out what you are dealing with, and what treatment you will be having, things start to fall into place and you will get your head round it :slight_smile:

Dawn
xx

Hi Linda
Just a note to say I’ve found these forums very supportive since my diagnosis about a year ago - lots of good advice, place to air worries and fears with those who really understand and positive stories. Somehow it is about getting a sense of “living with cancer” and not worrying too much as there are lots of treatments, if not a cure, and new ones are coming out all the time - but it takes time to make sense of it all… I find this site really useful for sharing the latest info that I can then ask my consultant about.
Take care and keep in touch
Fran

Hi Linda,
So sorry about your news, I am about two weeks ahead of you, I was told I had Inflammatory BC , also in my nodes, so as a result had to have CT and bone scans, unfortunately I was told a couple of days later I have secondaries in my Lungs, as if its not bad enough to deal with the initial Dx then to be told about lung mets , I am still trying to get my head round it. But as my treatment was always going to be chemo first because I have IBC , they told me surgery may not now be done, wait and see approach, however having talked to my Onc , she has explained more to me and my treatment plan is starting next week, plus the lovely ladies on here have made me realise there is so much they can do and I now don’t look at this in the same way, Like they say you are LIVING with BC just as many ladies have been for many years,
Try to be kind to yourself, take time to read others posts on here you will be able to accept things better if you understand a little more.
Thinking of you
Jean

Thank you to all. I can’t tell you how much it means to me that people take the time out to reply, when I know you’re having a tough time ourselves. I hope I will soon be able to write positive comments for other.

As my jouney only started 19 days ago, I know I have to count my self lucky that the hospital has responded so quickly (CT scan yesterday and bone scan Monday) at least I haven’t had the really long waits some people have had.

I think this site might become my new best friend!

Thank you and good luck to you all
I really really am smiling (it just these silly tears that keep getting in the way) xx

just read my last post - sorry my english grammar has gone to pot!!

Hi Linda

There is very little I can add to what has already been said but I will reiterate that you are definately in the right place for friendship, support and strength.

Just let the tears flow, we all do in my case hourly at the moment but don’t forget to hold your head up and smile, its the best medicine of them all.

Much love
Tracy xx

Hi Linda,

Sorry about your diagnosis. I had my secondary diagnosis about 2 weeks after my primary, so know what it was like. I didn’t have surgery and was told I was “too late” for it. That made me think I didn’t have long to live. However, it will be my 2 years in June and I am now living a new “normal” life.

It wasn’t easy, this forum has helped me a lot through my darkest days and I’ve made lots of friends on here.

I really hope your scans come back clear and whatever treatment you’re going to have, I hope it does a good job.

xx