newly diagnosed seven weeks ago

Hi all
I’ve only just found the forum yesterday and I think it will help me with some questions that I have now and in the future.
I was diagnosed seven weeks ago in August 2012.
Stage one cancer, thank goodness. Lymph nodes clear. Ithink I am HER2+ but will be asking the doctor next week for exact diagnosis.
I’ve 2nd Chemo last monday.
I will be having 4 x EC therapy and 4 x Docetaxel/Herceptin.Radiology and lumpectomy.
Good news is that the tumour has shrunk slightly. Just got back from ultrasound just now.
Originally I was all the over the place but seem to be ok for now.
I would appreciate if anyone is going through same treatment as I am to follow my post. If anyone in the past has been through the same treatment, please also let me know.
My question is I have a sore arm due to lack of veins, is it possible to have PICC line in? Will be asking doctor this question next week.
I have been reading via this forum regarding Docetaxel and the side effects. Is it likely that I will have joint pain? Very scared regarding this drug.

Hi Gerty

Welcone to the discussion forums, I’m sure you’ll find them a great source of information and support.

Whilst you’re waiting for others to reply, i thought you might get some answers to your query by calling our Helpline. They’re on 0808 800 6000 and are ope 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 on Saturday.

Best wishes

Louise, Facilitator

Hi Gerty01
I had my surgery first so a little different to your case. Have you had to have chemo because of the size of your tumour or because of the grade? I have had 3 FEC and 1 Tax. I have to say Tax has knocked me about. I had it last Wednesday and only just starting to get out and about again slowly. Make sure you take painkillers and I had bad heartburn from the steroids so get some Lansopraozole from your doctor. Prevention is better than cure. it does hurt, i won’t lie.
There will be a thread around with people in who are going through chemo at the same tiime as you. I am in the August one. It really helps as you are all at the same place in treatment so you support each other. I don’t have a PICC but others do so they will give you info.
Good luck with it all.
mandyj.xx

Hi Gerty,
I had chemo first but i had 3FEC and 3T. I am having 19 Herceptin (a years worth) as thats what recommended for treatment in the UK. It may be different in your case though (as i had a grade 2 IDC).
I am sure it would be possible to have a picc line fitted if you ask… I had something else called a Portacath fitted as my veins were ruined too. It was the Epirubicin i am sure. And as i was having so many Herceptin (plus needed an MX and ANC after chemo) they would have needed to use the same arm all the time so i opted for the port.
There are lots of ladies that i see come to chemo who have a picc line though, and if your veins are really bad then i dont know why they would say no to it.
By the way i think you must be HER2 positive, otherwise they would not give you Herceptin as its only for HER2 + patients. (unless they are undecided on giving you it :slight_smile: )
As for Tax - its a toughie but i have to say it was ok. I didnt have the sickness i had on FEC. I worked all through chemo and on FEC I used to take a week off after treatment and with TAX it was 10 days before i could work again. Most of the side effects can be managed with good pain killers. I wont lie and say for me it was a breeze…it wasnt…the bone pain felt a bit like i had the flu…but with painkillers i got there… not everyone gets the same level of pain at all…
Best of luck with all the treatment…
Rae
x

Thank you.

update
It has been some weeks since I’ve posted. There has been quite a development and would like views.
I had Chemo 5 on 17th December with a change of drug to Docetaxel and then Herceptin the following day. I went down like a ton of bricks. I developed a cough on Wednesday I think and by the next day had a high temp of 38.9. Didn’t realize it was serious and waited two days before ringing oncology doctor on Saturday who told my other half to take me to hospital.
In the meantime, did ring my GP who gave me antibiotics (which didn’t work obviously) and took temp on Thursday which Doc knew about but didn’t advise me go to hospital.
I ended up having Neutropenia Sepsis and took a while before the temp to go down. Spent Christmas in Hosptial.
Came out of Hospital on 27th Dec and spent the next two weeks very weak.I am ok now with my energy levels more orless back to normal.
I developed a rash while in hospital on the arms and lower sort regions and dark pigmentation. The arms bit went away with steroids but still there on the lower regions.
I saw the GP on WEdnesday of this week who gave me fubicet cream (antiobiotic and steroids) to use below.I saw the consultant who examined the area and didn’t saything so I don’t know how long this rash will last for using the cream. It’s starting to peel even though I’ve started the treatment on Wednesday PM. Ithink it is like ezemca.
I am assuming this is caused by the chemo drug and dried out my skin? Has anyone had this before and what did you do about dried skin? I was given a tub of Zero aqueaous cream. Can you use this on top of treatment cream?
Will be going for Chemo 6 on monday after being delayed for a week due cough and ear infection.
Bit scared it may happen again.

Sorry for long post.
Gerty

Any feedback to my post?

Hi Gerty,
I can’t help you because I have not yet started any chemo treatment so have no experience. I am so sorry to hear about all the problems you had. Poor you, you are having a real bad time of it. I do hope your next session will be a doddle and wish you the best of luck.
Lola xxx

Hi Gerty,
Sorry, can’t help you re post chemo problems. But might have a tip for dry skin. Only use aqueous cream as a soap replacement and rinse off before using treatment cream. It does help, but damages skin layers if left on as a moisturiser. I prefer E45 for dry/sore skin, but if skin isn’t broken, you could try sudocrem. It contains lavender, so might not be wise to use it on broken skin. When I had cellulitis, I was given steroid cream and was advised to put emollient on first, then steroid cream on top. I should check this with GP though as yours also has antibiotic in it. Hope this helps.
pg xxx