newly diagnosed

Hi there, received my results yesterday after a week of “have I, haven’t I” stressing and was told I have got a grade 2, 11mm oestrogen +ve ductal tumour. This hadn’t been picked up on my yearly mamo in May and whilst I had felt no lump, I went to my GP with a slight indentation on my left breast, as the Consultant said, thank god I did as it has been picked up very early.
Plan now is to have wire guided lumpectomy, radiotherapy and Tamoxifen for ten years. BCN said they would talk to me about chemo and maybe due to my age, I’m 43, they might advise Chemo but not sure about that? Has anyone else had this?
My mum and my big sister have both had breast cancer, my sis was 2 years ago and is doing brilliantly, she came with me and my husband to get the results and it was great to have her there knowing she had been through the same and survived. Sadly tho our mum developed secondary bone mets 3 years ago and is currently in our local hospice, after fighting it for all that time after being told she woul have months to live back then she has finally lost her strength and fight and is now in end stages bless her. Dad was devastated with my news yesterday but I was able to reasure him that mine has been caught so early it will be fine…
With all of this happening with mum it doesn’t feel real but I think knowing what to expect after seeing mum and sis go through their treatment has helped to understand things a bit better and as my amazing husband says, we WILL get through this.
I have a brilliant support network of family and friends who I know will help get me there plus this site has been fantastic and knowing we can all help each other thoughout our individual journeys will be invaluable.
xxxxx

Dear lilginge

I’m sorry the results were not what you would have wanted to hear. But I’m pleased you have found this site helpful and hope you will continue to find some support here.

I have attached a link to our Publication “Younger women and Breast cancer” which you may find useful

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/bcc66_youngerwomen_web_2012.pdf

And you can also call our Helpline for informationa and support (Opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays. 0808 800 6000)

Take care

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi There lilginge
Goodness you and your poor family are really going through it, so sorry to hear of your mothers health
Good to here you sounding amazingly strong within this post… Hats Of To You!!!
Your post really stud out to me because we have some things in common… age, mother BC and and not feeling lump just slight indentation.
I had lumpectomy in june and lymph nodes removed . I will be starting chemo shortly then radiotherepy and then Tamoxifen for 10 years.
Once you have had your lumpectomy , only then does the consultant have a better idea from what has been removed, to what treatment plan is best suited to your needs.
It is a waiting game unfortunately and I guess they are mentioning chemo now just to prepare you in the eventuality.
Only now nearly 2 months down the line after speaking to my oncologist do I truely understand my DX and the reasons for chemo.
I think it is an awful lot to take in, in a short space of time from DX to op , so hang in there girl
sounds like you have a lovely supportive family and great friends around you and that makes a huge difference.
We are all here too , so anytime you have any questions or just simply want to chat, do pop by. There are so many ladies, all at different stages and they can provide you with a wealth of info.
Do you have a date for surgery yet?? It would be lovely to hear how it all goes .
Best Of Luck!!
Sending you a HUGE HUG!!!
Jo xx

Hi lilginge

i was first diagnosed at 37, just 15 months after my mum was diagnosed at 57… No real family history. I had felt a lump and it was so surreal when it was confirmed as cancer… I had been warned that chemo was a possibility due to my age, but it was grade 1 and 17mm so didnt need chemo in the end and had a WLE& SNB and required a further excision for HG dcis in the margin. Then had 25 rads and done 5 years of tamox and started letrozole in feb for the next 5 years.

I had breast cancer again in 2009 and was found to be a gene carrier of a brca2 mutation but mum tested negative and dad was positive… But it was thanks to mum i went to get mine checked. The cancer i had in 2009 was a grade 3 more aggressive type and i needed chemo that time and again in 2011. But both me and mum are well now.

in 2011 i ad a wire guided excision, whee they put very fine wires into the Tumour so the surgeon can follow the wire down and remove the lump if they cant feel it very well. It was pretty straight forward.

good luck with your surgery and treatment.

lulu xx

Hi linguine, sorry to hear your news and what a time your family is having!.
My tumour was found by the mammogram programme but I had to have 2 wide local excisions( WLE’s) and a sentinel node biopsy( SNB). Reason I had two was they did not get a clear enough margin around the tumour first time so had to go back two weeks later and have same op again. This is common it seems by reading some of the posts on this site. I had a grade 2 , 35mm size tumour. The nodes showed clear so had radiotherapy and now on Anastrozole as post menopausal.
As Lulu says about the wire guided surgery I had same and they give you a local anaesthetic to do this and then you have surgery afterwards. If you have a SNB this will involve a blue isotopic( radioactive) dye being injected into the breast through the nipple. As awful as it sounds it did not hurt much. This shows the surgeon where the lymph nodes were so the can take a sample to check for cancer cells.
Expect to feel a bit emotional as that is normal. The anaesthetic makes you feel odd and it takes a week to get over. You might get some fluid build up under the scar and that is normal but anyway your breast care nurse will support you through all that hopefully.
Keep away from anyone with a cold or infection as if you catch something it will delay you getting your op. I did isolate myself the week before as did not want to catch a cold ( it was winter) but I think it is wise just to be careful buy some hand gel and keep using it whilst out and about .
You don’t say when your op day is. Hopefully soon so yoU can move on. This site is helpful so keep posting!. Best wishes, Katy.

HI THERE SO SORRY YOU HAVE TO JOIN THIS CLUB, SOUNDS VERY SIMILAR I ALSO NOTICED MY NIPPLE INDENTING BUT COULDNT FEEL A LUMP NOR COULD THE CONSULTANT BUYI WAS DIAGNOSED ON THE 22ND SOUNDS VERY SIMILAR TO YOURSELF HAD THE WIRE BEFORE SURGERY TOO TO PINPONT WHERE THE LUMP WAS AS THEY COULDNT FEEL IT, AND ALSO THE DYE TO THE NODES, AND WAS ALSO TOLD THE SAME AS YOU I AM ALSO 43 AND WAS OFFERED CHEMO BECAUSE OF MY AGE, AND CAME TO THE CONCLUSION CHEMO WAS NOT A CHOICE BUT AN INSURANCE POLICY TO STOP IT COMING BACK AND WHEN THEY GAVE ME THE STATISTICS IT JUST CONFIRMED IT, I START NEXT FRIDAY THE 22ND, ALL BEEN VERY FAST, STILL SAW FROM OP REMOVED NIPPLE AND GOOD PERCENTAGE OF BREAST BUT HEY HO IT CAN BE REBUILT AT A LATER DATE, I ALSO HAVE TO HAVE RADIO AND HORMONE TABLETS. IF I CAN HELP YOU IN ANYWAY PLEASE CONTACT ME AS IT LESSENS THE WORRY HAVING SOMEONE TO DISCUSS WITH HOPE YOU GET YOUR SURGERY SOON AND BEST WISHES

Thanks to all you lovely ladies for your messages and words of support. It really is such a lot to take in and especially as the timing with mum being so poorly but just knowing there are (sadly) so many of us going through the same thing and being able to help and support each other thru the next few months is just brilliant.
I don’t have a date yet for surgery but my GP spoke to the consultants secretary as soon as I had given her the news and she has explained about mum so am hoping they will at least be able to give me a date tomoro. At the moment I am focussing on her really but if I have a date that’s one less thing to stress about.
I am currently off work with stress anyway and my matron has been brilliant and said not to even think about the place at the moment so that is another thing not to have to worry about. To be honest, as someone just about to have an operation if I thought the scrub nurse didn’t have her mind on the job I wouldn’t be happy… My hubby works from home so he will be around lots and I won’t be on my own as many of my friends work shifts so usually someone is free.
Isn’t it strange that so many of us are under 50 as well, just as well we are all vigilant about checking eh, and especially being aware of any visual changes not just lumps. I guess we can at least pat ourselves on the back for that!
Good luck with the chemo girls, will be sending lots of positive vibes ok xxx
Thinking about you all and the rest of the ladies on this site, I am so glad I found it.
Take care all and keep in touch xxx