newly diagnosed

My BC diagnosis and treatment started in Oct 2006.

After mths of blood tests then 3 dif scans, I now have a diagnosis of lung cancer, presuming BC mets. No biopsy yet, but scan conclusive. All of these tests were done via my GP, who today refered me to a consultant. I am devastated. Shocked that it took so long to get to this point, and very worried now that it could be too late for affective treatment. I’ve had severe fatigue, aches and pains, but no cough etc, until this week when I have suddenly got a lot of phlegm, a cough and tight chest.

My mind is racing. I am a teacher, and know if I can hang on for a short while longer, I’ll get paid over the summer, and I need this cash, as husband also ill and I’m the only breadwinner and only part time as it is. Its a private school so no protection or long term full pay etc. But I resent my shortened life being taken over by this all consuming crazy job. I so do not want to go in to work next week.

When do I tell my grown up kids? My Dad died from Lung Cancer, it was a horrible death, I am so scared. But also. I was desperate to spend as much time as possible with him, and think they will be upset if I don’t tell them sooner rather than later, but I know they will take it really bad, as will my older grandchildren. We are very close.

Its so dam unfair. Just offloading to those who know. Because of my Dad, I’ve even though about assisted dying. He lost all his dignity, which was so cruel, I can’t bare that thought.

Thanks for reading

Hi
Although I have mets (bone and liver) I don’t, as far as I know, have lung mets so can’t help regarding coughing and other symptoms. However I do understand how devastating this awful disease progression can be and how it wrecks everyone’s lives. Having said that there is a lot of treatments available, many having been introduced since your primary diagnosis in 2006. There are also some benefits that you can claim when you have a secondary BC diagnosis, one is called PIP and the other is ESA. There are a few threads on here that it would be worth reading including one on PIP and the other on Lung mets please join in. I will bump them up so you see them. You will get a lot of support on here from ladies in a similar position and sometimes it’s worth copying your original post onto a thread such as Lung mets… So other ladies see it. It doesn’t matter if it’s the same info, or if you are asking the same questions.
Nicky x

Hi imac55

Firstly welcome to the forums, I’m sorry to read of your recent diagnosis.  As well as the support you are receiving here you might find it helpful to read the BCC information booklet on secodary breast cancer in the lung.  I have included below a link to this so that you can read it on line or order a copy:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/secondary-breast-cancer/secondary-breast-cancer-lung-bcc40

Also you may find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the BCC helpline.  Here you can tlak through your thoughts and feelings with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open today 10 to 2pm and weekdays 9 to 5pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Hi imac 55, sorry you’ve had to join us. I so understand what you feel like…as do we all. I have skin mets which have spread to my abdomen so cant really help on the lung mets side of things but everything else you said i so identify with…terrifying isnt it…must be so much worse for you haing had first hand experience. Just be assurred that if you ned info, inspiration or just a good old rant we are all here for you.xx