Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nipple reconstruction

9 REPLIES 9
rosebud454

Re: nipple reconstruction

Hi ladies,

I am back home after my nipple reconstruction. Haven't seen it yet as there is a dressing on, and will stay on until my appointment in the clinic in 10 days or so. I also had a bit of lipo to the side, so am a little tender at the moment. Will be very nervous when i see it for the first time though!
Thanks for all your replies, they were very helpful.

Rosie x

Guest user
Not applicable

I had nipple recon 2 years ago, without uplift on other side, initially I thought it looked large but it has got smaller and flatter over time. I am so glad I had it done even though the tattoo colour needs topping up it makes a real difference and I felt like it was completion after over 2 years of treatment. would definately recommend it...good luck tomorrow.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Rosie

I had my LD reconstruction with implant done in 2004. My other breast wasn't lifted but matches pretty well. When I was offered nipple reconstruction the following year I wasn't sure I wanted it as was concerned about healing time (breast wound had taken 9 months to heal completely)and also worried that the 'new' nipple would show under clothing. However I did opt for it in 2006 when I'd spoken to and seen the nipple reconstruction of another lady.
Prior to the op, the plastic surgeon measured very carefully using existing nipple as a guide to mark the position for the new nipple. She then got me to look in a big mirror to show me and make sure I felt happy with that. She made the nipple a fair bit larger but explained this would allow for shrinkage. It did shrink initially but remains very convincing, is neither flat nor stands out. There were no problems with healing either and isn't visible through clothing.
I was, and still am, very pleased with my nipple reconstruction. I do hope you will be too. Best wishes.

rosebud454

Hi ladies,

Thanks so much for all your comments. You all seem to have had an uplift on your normal side, but as i am not having one, it would be interesting to hear from someone else who has not had one and is happy with the outcome. I will be having my nipple done tomorrow, so i will let you know how i go on.
Fingers crossed.
Rosie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi,
I had a nipple reconstructed last October and will hopefully have a tattoo done in a month or so. (in a tattoo parlour, which is a tad worrying!!)
My good side was lifted and augmented last March to match the reconstructed side and they are more or less even. The new nipple is in line with the one on the good side but it does tend to lean to one side. (love the analogy of the squint!!)It has also flattened out quite a bit but this is only really noticeable when it is cold. (if you get my drift?) I'm hoping the tattoo will address the 'squint' at least.
I did wonder whether it was worth all the bother but can honestly say that I am very pleased indeed with the result; both of the augmented breast and the nipple. I haven't lost sensation at all and I look back to my old self in fact. For me, the fact that 90% of the time I don't even think about it anymore is proof enough that it was worth it.
Good luck! I'm sure you will be glad you went ahead because it is like that final touch which makes it all complete.
Val x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Rosebud
I had my nipple reconstructed about 3 months ago and now I am waiting to have it coloured in! ( tattooed )... should get my appt soon and I'm very excited at the prospect. My new nipple has flattened a lot but it doesn't really bother me very much....I am just so pleased to have something there and look a lot more balanced.
I would say it is pretty much in the right place... I had a mx with LD recon in Nov 2010 and had my healthy breast lifted and reduced in April 2011. I have no skin patch on my recon as my surgeon didn't take any therefore no scar on my back. The plan was always to make me smaller ....so I have reduction style scars ( like anchors) on both my natural and recon breast.
I am certainly glad I went ahead with the nipple recon as it was a doddle compared to all the other stuff and makes me feel almost complete
Good luck with yours.... Happy to answer any questions
E x

rosebud454

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry you lost sensitivity in your normal breast.
I do believe they can shrink down, but like you, i think i would rather have something there than nothing. Has anyone else any experiences they would like to share about nipple reconstruction, does it matter if they are not exactly symetrical?
Thanks,
Rosie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Also, forgot to say but the surgeon did not put the nipple centrally on the skin island anyway - he told me sometimes they are well to the edge so that the nipples look more level. Although mine shrunk to absolutely nothing and is much smaller than the good nipple I was glad to have it done as it does look a bit more "normal".

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Rosebud

I had my "good side" lifted to match the LD recon, the nipple still did not match as the skin island pulled to the side during nipple recon healing. If it was eyes on a face it would look like I had a severe squint, if that helps to describe the end result. I lost all sensitivity on the good side so with hindsight I would rather not have had the lift.

Jane

rosebud454

nipple reconstruction

Hi ladies,

Haven't been on here for a while. But i am about to have a nipple recon on my ld (with implant) reconstruction.
I am aprehensive as my normal side is slightly lower, and am therefore worried that the new nipple will not match my own. I declined to have my normal side lifted for fear of loss of sensitivity, but now am wondering whether i should have done.
Have any of you got lopsided nipples and is it a problem?
Thanks for reading.
Rosie x