node removal and lifting

hiya ladies , i have a bit of a predicament , i work as a school dinner lady where we cook for 3 other schools and send it out , now my onc said no more heavy lifting because of nodes removal , if anyone knows would they let me know what sort of weight is too much ? we have to lift ovens packed with food and all sorts of other weight lifting , i need to have all my back up when i go to occ health , also the back of my upper arm is still totally numb , working in a busy kitchen where burns are an everday occurance i need to know the risks involved here too , thank you xx

personally. I think the risk of burns would concern me after node removal.

Hi trish I think it might not be so much as weight but how many times you are shifting stuff about also elttiks makes a good point the heat & risk of burns is another big concideration. Maybe a good idea to talk this over with your BCN (call her up) or onc again when you next see them

i would have thought that was too much. Ask your breast care nurse. Have you informed your supervisor? i am sure there must be all sorts of health and safety rules that you as an employer are supposed to comply with. If you are likely to drop or spill something it is not just you but other people you are putting at risk

you could ask the helpline tomorrow.

i should be lifting heavy amps but to be quite honest my body is saying no, so i am not doing it yet.

we are all so desperate to get back into things, but sometimes we just have to be realistic.

I was a school meals superintendant for 10 years,althought it was back in the 80’s,so know exactly how much lifting is involved.
As you are the main kitchen supplying the sattelite schools this would be even more to if you are preparing the ovens for transport.
My memory is not good these days but I do remember having to do very detailed health and safety assessments,so there must be official limits on weights staff are allowed to lift.In your case in must be less than the norm due to your circumstances.Do you have any problems due the numbness in your arm, and if so by the same token would this be a danger to anyone working along side you.As I remember all the kitchens we sent out to were quite large so all the ovens had to be lifted by 2 people.Could you maybe find this difficult?Do you have a health and safety representative who could help you with the exact weights and proceedures? There has to be someone responsible for health and safety, maybe you can get them to help you.
Also do you do any food prep?I would be equally concerned about cuts and infection as well as burns.
I hope you manage to get the answers you need.You have my total admiration to return to such a physically demanding job post treatment.Good luck

Linda x

D’ya know. I’m starting to wonder wether i’ll be able to do my job after my nodes come out :o(

Eltikks --remind me what your job is?

I’m a factory janitor.

that sounds quite labour intensive. wonder how long the imbago on lifting lasts

I don’t do huge amounts of lifting, just rubbish sacks. The hardest part will be the sweeping and mopping or large areas of floor. ie corridors and factory toilets, and yes, I work alone in the day. I like my job, and not disrespects to shop workers, I really can’t see myself on a supermarket checkout.

thank you ladies for responding , my onc has already told me no heavy lifting FOR LIFE as risk of lymphodema ever present when nodes removed , i just wandered if anyone knew exactly what they class as " heavy " , im concerned about the burns because thats just part parcel of the job but obviously now nodes out it concerns me that actually that job probably isnt for me anymore , i`ll get all my info together ( onc has had a letter typed up and sending to me ) and at least then i will know exactly where i stand , it is a very physical job and i wont miss it but am hoping as i work for bham city council they will be able to redeploy me elsewhere where the risks are significantly reduced xxxxxxx

sorry lucinda , you asked me a question , the numbness in my upper arm isnt really bothering me , im just aware of it cus its numb , my outer arm still feels bruised and is very touch sensitive , at work we cook over 500 meals daily and because of the cutbacks implemented by the council we run short staffed most of the time with heavy lifting being done by one person only ( busy busy kitchen } , then theres the plate stacks that i used to lift with my right arm - i certainly couldnt do that now , and the huge bombs as we call them that even on full strength i struggled with , thing is other than sweeping and mopping there are no light duties and i feel i would be a hindrance to the girls if this is all i can do , they need a pair of hands physically able to the job xxx

They say ‘nothing heavier than a shopping bag’ for life.

I am developing lymphoedema after my node clearance sadly, and part of the reason is likely that I have to lift too much. I have 2 young children aged 13 mths and 2.5, and I have to lift them sometimes, and also I can’t bear the thought of never lifting them.

But that is the official guidelines - so I would say your job is too heavy and relocation is a better option.

hi. most employers are expected under the new equalities act to help you and "Make reasonable adjustments " please check it out.

x

I have, but still think my days are numbered.
I can’t make a corridor floor smaller.

Hello. Another ‘at risk’ girl here and one who wanted to know as I love hiking and used to carry a heavy backpack. I struggled to get a definition of heavy from anyone, it tended to be ‘well, you know, heavy’… what is a heavy shopping bag for example? Anyway, I eventually got something from the physios that said heavy was around 10lb/5kg. I was also told backpacks are OK so long as they aren’t ‘too heavy’ so day packs look possible. Obviously you can lift heavier stuff on your ‘good’ side but need to be careful not to strain your back…

As others have noted burns and cuts are just as big an issue… as are midge/gnat/mossie bites in my case. Long sleeves and factor 50 sunscreen are other things to consider for when you are out and about.

Your employer should make reasonable adjustments or, presumbly, find you an equivalent post at the same pay. Hope it works out for you.

Take care

That’s the downside.
The company I work for only have one contract locally. I work alone in the mornings with a 7.00am start which was arranged so that scrubbing can be done b4 office staff enter the building.
I really can’t see any other way round it :o(

hi elltick.
I’m five year clear but dealing with lymphodema. I try to carry stuff on opposite side but I’ve now got issues with my back from not being balanced. I teach and don’t lift often but after a time off sick recently my employer has had to make adjustments to what they can expect me to do. Not so easy for you I understand, but employers are required to do this now.
I go walking and put emergency stuff in a belt bag now because I found a rucksack caused problems. For days I need more stuff I have a bag that goes across my back on just one strap. As I’ve said before I always walk with a pole now. I have it quite long and it stops swelling in my hand and lower arm.
It is all about trial and error to be honest and some days you get away with things and sometimes you don’t.
I hope you work it all out.
Regards
Chinook.

Gosh what a thread! Yes those with small children really got no option, it’s fine at work but what happens when you get home! as a single parent, the protective stuff you get at work always made me (hollow-) laugh. I do feel for you Manny, as they will be getting a lot heavier before you’re through. Maybe in this situation it’s appropriate to teach them to climb on certain safe objects, and give them ways to help you, or rearrange things so that, eg you sit on the floor and change them at floor level rather than lifting them to the table; consider how important “being up at table with the grown ups” really is, or if a “little table for little people” would work better. Our hearts go out when they look up so appealingly and say “Carry??” but if it’s bad for you, they need to learn, No Mummy doesn’t do that. Possibly adding, Go ask Daddy, if that’s an option, or, You climb yourself in, here’s your little step, and then I’ll push. If you can encourage the older one, (and what toddler doesn’t want to climb as soon as you turn your back!) the younger one should take to it easily. You’re not a bad mum just because you have limitations, it’s good for them to learn independence and how to manage for themselves.
The corridor, Elttiks, no, you can’t make it any narrower but they can either give you a powered machine buffer (although that’s not too easy to control either: like a cross between a large lawnmower and a small motorbike, or maybe a young dragon, for those who never tried!) or let you have more time to do the same task? Working on your own has some benefits, nobody else is harrassing you to get a move on and you may be able to cut corners - I mean, ahem, refine the task - if you are systematic and rotate the bits you miss… Confined areas like toilet cubicles present issues of their own.
I was given a weight “guideline” of around 5kg, so beware those large bottles of cleaning fluid concentrates, they must be about that much or more. My shopping bags are often much more than 5kg so I use lots of smaller bags and I deliberately don’t put all the juice and the milk and the canned food in together!

Rucksacks. It used to be that a heavy rucksack was up to a third your bodyweight (for a man, less for a lady) and for an all-day hike you aimed to carry no more than a quarter. For me that’s still over 18kg :frowning: That was back in the last century when I were a strapping wee lassie; having now hit 50 and with LE I reluctantly gave away the vintage collection of my youth and retired gracefully to a wheeled suitcase (and pray for a lift, or at least a ramp!) Even with a day pack - lunch, the raincoat and the map and the camera… I still need to be careful because the straps can cut in on the axilla and exacerbate problems. Can’t seem to find a diagonal strapped bag that still hangs straight, but I managed to rejig the straps to look like this .|. so one side as normal, the other thinner strap that is normally the cross-chest/over-boob link, going down diagonal, and no load on the bad shoulder, which worked quite well, kept the bag upright and stopped it swinging or falling off.

For anyone whose job depends on being physically fit, this is a big issue and I would say, develop any other skills you can in advance. I have been trying to learn to type and learn more about computers since being off sick, perfectly valid use of my time as it should widen my options for the future. I’m now considering doing an evening-course for the autumn, maybe counselling or TEFL. And Trish, a big orgnisation like the council MUST consider redeploying you to a less demanding role if you become less fit, so think what other jobs they employ people to do, and find out what training you would need - they should provide this if you have the potential. Are you good on reception, good with money/accounts, what about all the experience near children? Is there any catering of a less intense sort eg our library has a cafe which is staffed from the council. Good luck all!

Thanks Hymil, lots of great ideas there.

A friend of mine checked with a lymphedema professor no less (didn’t know such a person existed, but friend’s d-in-law works for them) about rucksacks. They seemed to think that a well balanced day pack was OK but as you note, care with straps cutting in on the axila. The ones with little chest strap thingies as well as waist straps may be easier to control? I wondered about the one strap things, so your thoughts are helpful. This time last year I was doing a cross country trek carrying everything… I guess next time I’ll have to use a sherpa service, but I am grateful to have the possibiltiy of a next time.