nolvadex-d/tamoxifen, whats the difference?

Hi,

I have been on Tamoxifen for 7 months and i think that its fair to say that its been making my life a misery. I get full symptoms and was taken into hospital with DVT the other day.

I spoke to my consultant today as we needed to discuss medication and she said that i can try nolvadex if i like but still carrys side effects.

She said that it works the same, some people benefit and others dont. I didnt have chemo as i had an early and small cancer which was low grade, she said that i can have chemo which i dont really see as an option now as i have got used to a close “normal” life as possible under the circumstances.

I can safely say that the tamoxifen is making my life difficult but i really dont want to come off them at the same time as i know that they are working.

If anyone can tell me if they benefited from nolvadex that would be great as i have tried every herbal remedy evening primrose oil etc etc! Not helping at all.

Many thanks,

Emily

Hi,
nolvadex just has a different bulking agent and coating but the same dose of tamoxifen citrate inside. When I raed about others having terrible side effects until they switched brands, I was concerned and got Nolvadex from the outset. I have been on it for almost 2 months and not one hot flush, fingers still crossed. I am getting a bit stiff when i first wake up though. If you search for the other threads on this you will find some people have had amazing differences on nolvadex compared to the other types
good luck
LIly x

Hi

I am due to start on Nolvadex. i suffer with my weight, put on 2 stone with chemo which i have just lost. Have any of you put on weight with Nolvadex.
Would love to hear your views

lisa x

I have taken tamoxifen for 15 months and also got dvt. I was put on warfarin for a suggested 3 months and told not to take any more tamoxifen. I have now been told that they want to put me on zoladex and letrozole. Anybody out there who has experienced this?

Nolvadex is a brand name for tamoxifen. As Lily said, it has different bulking agents, etc. My PCT won’t allow local GPs to prescribe branded drugs so I get generic tamoxifen. I started on Nolvadex, before this rule came in then was switched to a generic. I’ve noticed absolutely no difference what so ever and have had no problems either with branded tamoxifen or the generic.It seems that, in a lot of cases, it just does n’t suit some people.

Geraldine