not sure about takig tamoxifin.

Hello Ladies,
Now i have finished chemo and fads my Onc wants me to go on Tamoxifen but i am worried how it is absorbed by the body as i was on Xeloda as part of my chemo treatment and it caused my bowel to stop working and caused me all sorts of problems. I am led to believe that the Xeloda was absorbed by my bowel so as you can see i am quite worried that history may repeat it’s self.

Any info would be greatly received.

Candys.

Hi Candys,
I was on the Tact2 trial as well. And am now on Arimadex as I am post menopausal.
I got very constipated while on Xeloda but went back to normal while on radiotherapy.
Other than the usual side effects of Arimadex (achy joints, sweats and nausea) I have no other problems.
best wishes
Margaret

hi
i’ve just started taking tamoxifen so have the grand total of two weeks experience. i have had no side effects at all!
best
jo

Hi
Been on Tamoxifen for 3 months and no major side effects at all. Joints were a little stiff for 1st couple of weeks but as I also have arthritis I presume this just aggrevated an existing condition. My skin was a bit itchy but that has now stopped.
I think we have to grab at any chance we have to stop this vile disease from recurring. You have nothing to lose by trying it and everything to gain if it works!
Good luck to you Candys!
Love Gill x

Hi Candys,

I havent had chemo but am half way through my rads, I have been on tamoxifen for 6 weeks and had my first zoladex injection 3 weeks ago. I am pre menopausal aged 39 and so far no side effects to speak of. I am a bit tired but think thats just more to do with the rads and surgery combination. I do get a bit warm at night some times apart from last night I was freezing!!! but I sleep with my legs out of the quilt on a normal night.
I got a bit scared waiting for my early menopause to hit me like a ton of bricks but so far so good, oh also no weight gain so far which is a major miracle considering how little excercise I get at the minute. Must get of my backside!!! No bowel problems but I do have a homemade juice smoothie every day so am quite regular anyway.
Good Luck with it all. Love Shonagh xx

HI Candys

I was on Tamoxifen for 10 years because of a family history link and apart from a bit of vaginal dryness really didn’t have any side effects. It might be an idea to talk to your breast care nurse to look at the pros and cons for taking it, especially as it sounds as if you’re probably ER+?

Pinkdove

Hi Candys,
I didn’t have chemo just rads. I’ve been taking Tamoxifen for over 5mths without side effects. I take mine in the morning after my breakfast and that’s been ok for me, I know from other posts the favoured time seems to be after the evening meal. I’ve never been constipated whilst taking it. Hope all goes well for you.
Best wishes
Caz x

ive been on tamoxifen for 3 months apart from hot flushes and night sweats, ive put on weight, ( boo hoo) but ont know if any one else has expeirienced weight gain, but im dong good otherwise,