not the result i was hoping for

Just back from the hospital to get my results following biopsy last Thursday. I’m still playing the waiting game. If 1 is benign and 5 is malignant I’m a 3. Might be nothing. Might be something. Result read… benign but unsure of malignant potential. Got to have surgery to remove the suspicious area.
Trying to hold back the tears from the kids. What do I tell them?

Hello Alice its all this waiting game & not knowing that is so difficult. I remember when I had my biopsy & then my surgery the grade was different & a breast nurse explained that when they take the biopsy its like taking a petal from a flower or plant so you dont get the whole picture, with the surgery it is all removed so they get to see & grade it accurately.
Thats never easy to know what to tell the kids or how mine are all teenagers so was probably easier to explain to them rather than younger children. Go have a good cry & a cup of tea I know everything is like a whirlwind right now head flooded with thoughts. Things will get a bit easier as time goes on I know it doesn’t seem like it right now. Just take each day as it comes try not to think too far ahead ‘baby steps’ I found once I had my surgery I started to settle a bit & you start to take on board things a bit better. It is like stepping stones just one at a time & not trying to look at ones that might or might not be ahead. You will know what to say to the kids when your ready & I found with mine hiding the tears was worse for them but thats mine you know your kids best you may even be very surprised just how strong they are & they will be a tower of strength for you too

much love & best wishes
Mekala X

Quick hello.

Take your time telling people, get your head round things first.

To help you get your head round it (sounds like you’re not really sure anyhow) give the helpline a ring, they’re fab and such nice people.

Others will be along to say hello, I’m going back to sleep.

CM
x

oh I am so sorry, it is such a shock to hear that it is not a completely innocent little lump. When are they taking it out???

shame there is not a 2.5 rating because sounds as if they might have given it that.

dont know how old the kids are. But you might decide not mention the big c word. Just say you have a need an operation to take some bad tissue away so that it does not get any worse. Along the lines as if they were just taking a cyst out.

After all it said Benign and unsure of potential. Not benight with definate potential.

if you cry you can say its because you are worried that you are going to be sore after the operation for while–thats true but not that scarey.

i am sure there will be people along who have had to tell their children and will give better advice on how to go about it

Poor you, still in the dark, back in the waiting room. Just hope its not for too long, and when they get the beastie out it turns out to be definately benign with no potential.

Dear Alice,
I had exactly the same diagnosis on a lump I found in my left breast just before Christmas - a magical number 3. I was lucky and the outcome was benign - phew. Having said that I have since had another similar lump in my right breast - also benign (needle biopsy only this time). Now I have another lump back where the original one with ‘irregular cells’ was. I have an appointment next Wed having seen my GP this morning.
I am struggling to sleep as I am very worried about it - despite what I am telling my husband - can anyone answer my question (so sorry Alice I don’t mean to direct people off on a different tangent to yours). Surely cancer doesn’t grow that quickly ie over a matter of weeks (having been completely lump free I discovered this lump (the size of a grape according to my GP - why do they compare them to food!) about 3 weeks ago. I also saw on my notes (not that anyone has actually said it to me) that I have an ‘increased predisposition to breast cancer’ - oh good.
Alice, I don’t know how old your children are, my boys are 11 and 13 - I didn’t tell them anything. They went to my in-laws for the day while I had the op and were non the wiser. If this one turns out to be something more then of course I will chat it all through with them.
Good luck with it all.
Annie x

Hi there

I found myself in exactly the same position as you three years ago. I went to the doctors with a lump, she said there was no lump, and sent me away. I knew there was so went back. Anyway long and short of it was that I had a core biopsy and was told that they would not now whether it was cancer until it was removed. It was removed and it was CLEAR!! So here is hoping your in the same situation as I was.

I now do have cancer, but its not the same lump as last time but something different.

Thinking about you.

SGL xx

You see, I have now got it into my head that because of these lumps, I will at some stage - don’t know when - might be this one might not, get a malignant diagnosis and there is nothing I can do about it. That probably sounds dramatic but fairly rational is it not.

Hi there,
firstly please call the helpline, they’ll explain everything to you.
Until you know what you’ve got - which you won’t until after biopsy results come back - you can’t really speculate. I know how difficult it is, but try to take each thing as it comes and not to look ahead.
Big hugs
xx