Did you mean: 

numbness after auxillary clearance

52 REPLIES 52
Highlighted

Re: numbness after auxillary clearance

I
Highlighted

Thank you all for your posts. I am 5 days post WLE and ANC. Your advice re ANC recovery will definitely be adhered to as my physio appt is until January! I had reduced painkillers significantly as haven't been in pain even when doing exercise but will go back to dosage advised on discharge. Many thanks again
Highlighted

Once Wild, enjoy Wales and your tea in the Portmerrion. We have to grab every chance of happiness inbetween all the horrible stuff that is going on. Some days I'm very accepting of it all and other days I just feel so sad. I feel like I will never get my spark back. Although it is early days. I am so afraid it will change me forever. Glad you're back behind the wheel. I sooo miss driving.
Highlighted

Forgot to say that driving is BRILLIANT! I had a bit of an achy arm at the end of the first day - probably because I whizzed all over and hadn't driven for a month.  All been fine since and I am very pleased to have my freedom back! 

Highlighted

Thanks for the advice Alex. I will massage a bit more vigorously and keep at it. I know what you mean when you say we aren't told enough - I think I was quite well informed by the team and through reading but nothing prepares for the full implications and ongoing loss and the grief that comes with this. I remember reading that this disease is life changing and it sure is - nothing will ever be the same again. 

Yes - bracing myself for starting chemo on Friday. Before then I have ECHO and rubber boob appointments tomorrow (hoping my mini-boob does not thwart this) then the consent on thurs. Fitting in a day in North Wales and afternoon tea in Portmerion Hotel on tues to lighten the week - cant wait. 

Hope all goes well with you and the antibiotics work wonders. 

Highlighted

Once wild, Physio didn't give me any extra advice to do at home other than the exercises and to try and use my arm as normally as possible. She said if you don't break that scar tissue down, it knits together tightly and you never regain full movement. I couldn't believe she was stretching and pulling while I also have that build up of fluid which is now infected and roaring red. But to be fair to her, after seeing her twice last week, movement is definitely improving.
Make sure you take adequate painkillers before your appointment though! It is very frustrating when you seem to go one step forward and two back. Personally I don't feel I was given enough knowledge or guidance around this op. In fact I phoned my BN 10 days post op on advice of Physio and she just said oh I was about to phone you. I think not. Lol. I hadn't heard from her since I got pathology results from WLE and SNB. But no point in dwelling on that. I actually got more advice from reading posts on this forum. I'm due first chemo on 5th, but underarm still roaring red and tender, so think I will need IV antibiotics. But you never know, maybe between today and tomorrow it will clear up. BN told me to massage scar tissue with E45 cream on hands to try and break down scar tissue also. Maybe try that, if you're not already doing. It is very frustrating isn't it?
All the best for next week, I see in your posts you start chemo on 8th. And how did the driving go?
Highlighted

Wow Alex - you have been through the mill! I really hope all is settling now. 

I am interested in the physio working on your scar tissue. I have a thick tight ridge across my chest, a couple of cm wide, despite a neat healed scar. I am pretty sure if I stopped the exercising it would completely solidify. I have a physio appt on 11/7 for lymphedema education so hopefully will get some advice then. Were you given anything to do at home to help? 

Highlighted

Girls, just an update from my posts at the weekend. I ended up going up to ward on Sunday. I felt my pain was so bad and was worried that if something was wrong it might delay treatment and also had echocardiogram to be done on the Monday. When I phoned, they told me to come straight up.
They said they felt it was mismanagement of pain relief, as in not taking enough! So I added ibrufen into the mix along with the cocodamol. Dr said my body was going into shock with pain and that's why I was struggling to breathe, as when questioned, it did appear to be occurring when I was due medication.
Saw Physio in Monday, who worked on the scar tissue and slight swelling. This along with more medication seemed to make a difference and my arm was starting to get more movement in it.
However, underarm lump really red this morning. Mentioned this when getting PICC line in and Nurse got me to see Dr. Now on antibiotics for 5 days. Fingers crossed it clears, otherwise chemo and Tuesday isn't happening. Also saw Physio today. I thought she would not have worked on me, but she said the scar tissue needs stretched, so she went ahead ( cue more tears in my eyes. This time tears of pain!). Thanks for all your posts and advice as it does help you to judge what is normal and what is not. Hope everyone else in the Sore Arm Club doing ok. Lol x
Highlighted

Had a reply from the breast nurse about my lump who said its tissue thats built up because of all the messing around with it and that it..... should go down omg i really hope it does on the upside my arm improving well x

Highlighted

Had a chuckle with the rising northwards and the lop sided. Me too! I think now it is the sports bra but will deal with it. Keeping up the exercises though and that is helping movement which is great. Feel I can do more now. 

Thank you to everyone for their replies. X

Highlighted

Oncewild, I had lumpectomy not mx but started wearing underwired bras about a month post op. Not had any problems with them at all. Not sure if it's different after mx though xx
Highlighted

Hi.Arnie yes my lump is quite tender but  is improving daily , i think there are many symptoms with these ops gonna get in touch with breast nurse if i have no improvement just to put my mind at rest and as to the underwired  bra Oncewild i hate having one on at the moment too can just about tolerate my stretchy one and havent even tried my softy x

Highlighted

Hi Arnie

i haven't had any tenderness in remaining breast either - thank goodness as there has been enough due to the ANC - like you TraceyFizz the ANC has been much more difficult than the MX. Still, everyday it is getting better. Hate SpongeBoob as it keeps migrating north and I have to keep checking I am not massively lop sided. Hoping when I get the prosthesis it will stay put and move in a vaguely natural way. Can we ever wear underwired bras again? 

Pat

Highlighted

Hi Arnie, I can't say I've had tenderness in the breast particularly but I think that was probably due to it being very numb for a long time. Having said that, I wasn't able to sleep on that side for quite a few weeks because of discomfort in the breast, and I have tenderness over my rib cage just below my breast. I did find the sports bras aggravated tender areas and it's been a relief to get back into normal bras the last couple of weeks!xx
Highlighted

Hi all, I had my surgery 2 Weeks ago and have followed the thread as my symptoms are very similar. However, no-one has mentioned whether they have tenderness in the remaining breast following surgery. I spoke to my BcN and she said it is most likey in response to the surgery and the possible sports bra restriction. Is there anyone else experiencing this? Arnie x

Highlighted

Thanks oncewild you have put my mind at rest i was starting to panic but your symptoms are very close to mine i am now nearly 3 weeks post and i agree i didnt realise it would take so long to feel right i feel the anc has been much more painful than mx but its done and things will only get better for us . Good luck with your chemo i have my onc appointment in about 2 weeks to sort mine . x

Highlighted

I have a 'mini-boob' too. I think it is a lump of scar tissue (on top of the thick band I have across my chest and into my armpit) plus swollen tissue and a collection of seroma fluid. It decreases in size when I lie down but is always there. The tightness, tingling and stiffness across my chest and down arm bother me much more at the moment. I am 3 1/2 weeks post-op and thought I would feel much better by now. Trying not to let it get me down. Am going to start driving today and hope that will help. Start chemo on 8/7 so want to make the most of the days before then.  

Highlighted

My arm feels a bit better today the exercises kill but do help but i am a little concerned about the apparent tissue lump that looks like a new boob but it feels just awful ... can anyone advise if they had the same and how long was it before it started to go down . i thought the caved in chest look after surgery was bad but this is worse lol xx

Highlighted

Thanks for advice girls. Don't think it is cording then. I'll keep on top of painkillers, keep rubbing my arm and have a few chocolates lol. I'll let you know how I get on on Monday. Thanks again. X
Highlighted

I was frustrated with how long it took to feel more normal too. But once it starts it seemed to happen really quickly. And I think you feel like you go backwards before you go forward too. So my while scar feels quite hard from the scar tissue around it. But cording is a hard length of lymph vessels that can run under your arm and down the length of it. It feels tight like there's something stopping you moving your arm fully. I don't think I'm describing it very well!! I'm sure they will be able to tell you Monday what it is. Until then keep on top of the pain killers and I would do plenty of cream rubbing to try and keep the lymph fluid moving and try to soften any harder areas if you can. It won't do any harm at least xx
Highlighted

It certainly isn't an easy op to recover from. I'm booked for 1st chemo on 10 days! Doesn't feel like I will be ready for it.
Yes, think I deserve a chocolate or 2. No wine for me for a while unfortunately. Feeling really sorry for myself here lol x
Highlighted

Bless you Alex its crappy , i was shocked when i found my big lump didnt have much fluid in it my cons said he thought it was inflamed tissue which feels so weird i think people vary in recovery times cos i thought i would feel better 17 days post op hope you feel better soon rest up have a chocolate or 2 xx

Highlighted

Taran, when I feel my underarm scar, there is a real hard lump along it, in a straight line. Only have 1 scar, as surgeon must have reopened scar from SNB. Only realised that today. So this could possibly be cording? Sd I just gently massage this until my appointment onMonday? I can't believe that 7 weeks ago I was fit and healthy. 🙁
Highlighted

It could be. A seroma is just a build up of fluid which would feel like a hard lump. You might need that draining if it's causing problems. If it's more of a line than a lump it could be cording?xx
Highlighted

Have been in bed all day, just up to watch football lol. Feel slightly better, but only slightly and think that is the painkillers now building up.
There seems to be a hard lump at front of my chest and just going in under my armpit. Making it sore for me to hold my arm tight to my body. Would that be a seroma?
Highlighted

Hi Alex, sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment. I remember having more soreness/stiffness days 7-10ish because I worried it was related to the drain being removed at day 7. But actually I think it was connected to an increase in sensation around that time. So things felt worse because they were improving if that makes sense. But I wouldn't say they were as bad as you are describing. Is there any sign of a seroma that could be causing the extra pain?xx
Highlighted

Girls, feel I need advice. I am 7 days post op. My arm has stiffened up the last few days. I can hardly move it. Phoned Physio yesterday who has agreed to see me on Monday. Severe pain the last few days. Back on the cocodamol, but not getting much relief from them. I feel a tightness in my ribs/lungs, and pain in upper back from lungs to top of back, as if someone is squeezing me really hard. I have pain in chest area, as if I have lifted something heavy and strained myself. I actually feel it is a wee bit hard to breathe. Is this pain normal? Don't know if I should wait until Monday to see Physio, or maybe phone the ward for advice? Only I don't want them saying to come up to see them, to no doubt hang about for hours to see Dr and to be told all ok. If I thought this was normal I could settle myself. Thanks.
Highlighted

Hi Alex , yes am glad despite the after effects that i went ahead with anc next step after recovery oncologigist and even though the thoughts of chemo,poss radio , herceptin ect is daunting it does make me feel confident that if any cells got through they will be sorted and to stop any recurrence , good luck with your results xx

Highlighted

Traceyfizz, that's good that no trace in lymph nodes. Means itwas contained in breast and hadn't spread via nodes. And while recovery from op isn't easy, you now know there is no cancer there. I think if we hadn't of went for ANC we would always have that worry in our minds that it might spread if the chemo/radiotherapy didn't blast it. I'm only 6 days post op, so long way to go by the sounds of it. I'm following Taran's advice with the creams and going to drive tomorrow to see how I get on with that. X
Highlighted

thanks for that Taran i hope so xx

Highlighted

100ml sounds a lot to me traceyfizz so hopefully it will help having that drained. I'm sure I had a big improvement between weeks 2 and 3 so fingers crossed you'll be feeling a lot better very soon xx
Highlighted

Been to hospital today for resuts of aux clearance and all good no traces....yippee  , tried to drain my very swollen site and only got 100mls doc said it was probably tissue swelling following surgery which was 2 weeks ago am i being too hopeful that this will go down anytime soon ? sooooo painful . anyhoo oncologist meeting in about 3 weeks for my next plan x

Highlighted

Thanks Alex am a bit better again today it does seem at the moment that one treatment causes another problem lol but i know its for my own good and that its necessary i have been really naughty with my exercises just couldnt be bothered gonna get on with them again today, hope you are doing well after your anc xx

Highlighted

Aw sorry to hear you're having a hard time Traceyfizz. Hopefully the Antibiotics are already doing their work. I was thinking once drain would be out, things could only get better and exercises would become easier. Unfortunately not the case ! Hope you are on the mend soon X
Highlighted

At the moment everything hurts lol fluid building up very quickly since my drain came out then woke up early hours sunday teeth chattering and freezing cold thought i was on my way out yesterday ....am such a drama queen it seems got an infection so on  anti-biotics , so all in all the crushed glass feeling in my arm has been over-ridden , thanks for the cream advise taran and roll on thurday consultant appointment so i can be once again be  drained lol then my next post will be more uplifting Smiley Very Happyxx

Highlighted

Yes Taran, I feel exactly the same. A lot to thank our NHS for!
Highlighted

I know Alex, same here. I saw gp April 28th, biopsy 5th may, diagnosed 10th and surgery 19th. Whirlwind is the only way to describe it! At the time I was a mess because it was all so fast. But in retrospect I'm so grateful for the speed it all happened.xx
Highlighted

Thanks Taran. I'll pop on to Amazon site to order some emu oil. I see you've joined the July Chemo Thread. So have I. Can't believe it to be honest. Been a roller coaster the last 7 weeks.
Highlighted

Hi Alex, I started using the emu oil about 2 and a half weeks post op. But only because I didn't know about it before then. If I had any more surgery I would use it sooner. You don't use it on the wound/scar so I can't see any reason not to start straight away with it. I use it down the length of my upper arm, and across the area where my armpit meets my chest (sorry don't know how to describe it well!!) as I had a lot of tightness there which was restricting my movement. Fingers crossed the drain comes out soon for you. Feels so much better once it's out doesn't it!! I remember doing the exercises before surgery thinking how easy they were and that they couldn't possibly do any good. Then felt like I'd spent an hour down the gym the first time I did them post op!!!xx
Highlighted

Hi girls. I had my ANC on Friday. Your posts have been very helpful, as I know know the pain/sensations/numbness etc is normal. So good to read about others experiences. Taran, with regards to the emu oil, when can you start using it post surgery? And is it just under your armpit or whole arm? I started massaging Epaderm into upper arm yesterday. Have been doing ok, but back of my arm pretty sore this morning with electric shock type pain. Only way I can describe it lol. Hopefully I'm getting drain out tomorrow. Some of you seem to have drain in a lot longer. Exercises are hard work, I nearly felt I was going to pass out when attempting them earlier 🙁
Highlighted

Hi everyone

i'm in the really sore arm club too after my ANC 20 days ago but I know that it will get better really slowly as it was same after my MX 8 weeks ago. I was just starting to get normal arm movement back and the sandpapering effect in upper arm had disappeared when I had to have the 2nd op. It didn't help that my drain was in for 2 weeks this time and I could only start trying to lift my arm above my head last week. There has been slight improvement over a week but I have really bad cording which doesn't help. Have been referred for physio for the cording after first op but still waiting. My BCN told me to try and snap the cord by massaging it with my thumb but it didn't work after my MX and I really did try and snap it but no luck.

I didnt know know about epiderm so will try that thanks.

hope you all see some improvement over the next few weeks.

nomadic

x

Highlighted

Oncewild, I don't have any specific exercises for cording, just the normal ones for after surgery. Did they give you the booklet of exercises following breast surgery?

Traceyfizz, my bcn told me to ask my gp for the epaderm on repeat, so I've done that. The emu oil you can get on Amazon. Hope it all helps! I also started laying on that side in bed. I've been avoiding it because it felt so horrid but decided it was another way to make sure my arm was being touched more where it was in contact with the bed. Now there's no hypersensitivity when I lay on it x
Highlighted

I am in the weird numbness club too. 2 1/2 weeks post MX and ANC and hypersensitive all down the back of my arm to my elbow. Really horrid burning pain when touched. The top of my arm is back to normal though so am hoping the rest will follow. Armpit is fine thank goodness. I will try the recommendation to rub it as I have been avoiding it due to how painful it feels. 

Also bothering me is the tightness when at full stretch - I feel a pain from my arm right down my rib cage. It eases off when I keep at it but I can see how easy it would be to stiffen up. Guess it is cording though I can really feel a 'cord'. Bit obsessive about stretching in all directions! Appt with breastcare physio isn't till 11/7 as she is on leave and I would love to know now if there is anything else I should be doing. 

Off to massage my arm now. 

Highlighted

thanks Bottyboo it feels so weird doesn't it , I'm a bit hit and miss with my rollerball unless I concentrate lol x
Highlighted

Thanks Taran i will look for the emu oil and cream , the top of my arm is so painful feels like a severe case of sunburn but i am only 11 days post-op i really need to be a bit more patient xx

Highlighted

Hi, I had my anc a month ago and the feelings in my arm have really improved over the last 1-2 weeks. Before then it was horrible! Lots of numbness and lots of hypersensitivity but no "normal" areas. I read on one of the boards here about emu oil for helping nerve damage and since I've started using that the nerve pain has got so much better!! My bcn told me the only way to deal with the hypersensitivity was to keep touching my arm. So I started rubbing epaderm creams in vigorously for 5 minute spells a few times a day. I spent an awful lot of time with a really greasy arm but I think it's paid off!!! Lol. I still have numbness at the very top of my arm, and my armpit is fairly numb but not completely as I can feel a little bit when putting on deodorant now. I really started to stress that my arm was going to feel horrid forever, but it really has gotten so much better the last couple of weeks. And you will feel so much better when the drain comes out. That's a huge relief!!xx
Highlighted

Hi. I had my axillary clearance in February and now the numbness in my arm has gone except in my armpit. It is certainly better than it was as I can feel my self touching there now but just not distinguish between pressure or a light touch. You do get used to positioning the deodorant lol
Highlighted

Thanks for the replies i have had my drain out today yippee so can do more exercises the feelings are weird but i will get used to it and like you say when the swelling goes it should get better still , gonna start swimming soon before my chemo and try to get in better shape x thanks ladies

Highlighted

My physio said I should try keep my arm in contact with my body as much as possible even if it hurts as it would get used to the feeling so although its still numb if I poke/touch it and I have to guess re deodrant etc its easing off and my brain/nerves etc are getting used to the feeling so im not noticing it as much, it also gets less noticable when there is less swelling/fluid

Itll feel better even if it doesnt fix itself x
Highlighted

Hi there

It's been 6 weeks since my surgery and I can't feel anything in my armpit, but it looks as though I never will judging from your other replies! It is weird putting deodorant on. I hate the numbness in my arm but think that is getting better actually.

Meg