nursing and lymphoedema

Hi everyone,

this is a little embarassing. I used to be a qualified nurse. I had a breast cancer diagnosis in 2015, have had a mastectomy, ld flap, chemo and radio. I feel fine. I work full time in a hospital but not clinically. I really want to return to nursing and have been accepted on a return to nursing course. I was so excited but then realised I probably can’t accept it. I have lymphoedema in my left arm and wear a sleeve. I’m devastated. I just didn’t think about it (or was I in denial?). I desperately want to work with patients again. I’m 50 although I feel so much younger in so many ways. I need to contact the managers who offered me the placement and let them know about the lymphodema but I actually feel embarassed. They will probably wonder why I applied in the first place. I’ve wasted their time.  I keep thinking about how I could do it. My arm isn’t too bad and maybe they will let me wear a disposable sleeve. I’m being delusional arent i?

I don’t want to be rejected because of something that’s not in my control but I presume that is what is going to happen. I know there’s an infection control issue although I believe if you are a muslim you may now wear disposable sleeves but I don’t think that’s the only issue. Has anyone else had this problem?

I’m devastated to be honest. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for so long. When you think you are better and can get on with your life and do something meaningful you are brought back to earth with a bump.

Thank you for letting me say this to some one. I don’t think anybody else would really understand. I’m puttin off emailing them because it was so nice to be offered the position.

Any advice or words of wisdom greatly appreciated,

Helen x

Whoa - don’t get ahead of yourself! It is fantastic that you were offered the opportunity and you clearly have a lot of experience and committment to offer. I’m not a nurse so don’t know the ins and outs of working in a clinical setting with lymphoedema, but I can’t believe there is not some way round your concerns. God knows, we’re desperate  for nurses these days, what a waste if you couldn’t return due to this. You have already thought of the disposable sleeve thing which seems an excellent solution. Why not have a chat with them - no need to be embarassed - just say it had only just occured to you and what were their thoughts? I can’t help thinking that there must be a way round this, so don’t write this wonderful opportunity off without checking it out. I wonder if you might be having a bit of loss of confidence following the cancer treatment, and this is a way of manifesting itself? Sorry to go all phychoanalytical on you (!) but I think we are never quite the same person after we’ve had cancer - actually sometimes we are a better person, but the process of recovery isn’t just physical. You are valuable - discuss solutions with those who offered you the course, and come back on here and tell us what the answer is. Good luck.xxx

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement. I’ve contacted the placement manager and will find out soon enough! I will let you know x

Hi all,
Am sure somewhere within the forum a nurse posted about successfully returning to work wearing a disposable sleeve in clinical situations. I have been off the forum for months. Good luck, and with the right support am sure you will achieve your dream. X