cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

only young

12 REPLIES 12
BeckyC

Re: only young

Well still no moving them on getting seen quicker! Apparently, waitings waiting, and that's what I shall be doing for now =o/

Zippy

Becky

I agree with Dahlia - please go ask for quicker referral and explain family history........... I was 29 when diagnosed and am the 5th family member (mum and 3 aunts dx on mum and dads side) to have breast cancer! I was initially fobbed off by my gp and luckliy able to go private at the time (via my credit card! lol!!) ....... and got results in 4days!! from needle aspiration and mammogram........which I have to say showed nothing but the consultant flipped me back to nhs for a lumpectomy to remove the lump cos of my strong family history and unfortunately it was positive..................but it doesnt always happen and i was just unlucky........but I seriously would try get yourself a referral sooner and I think you do have the right to have one in 2 weeks..........

Good luck and I hope its just lumpy boobs!!!! So dont worry!!!!! 🙂 I too had a scare when I was 24 and it was in the other boob than I had it in later years and that was clear!! so you never can tell but you need to get it checked out........

Thinking of you.

Zippy xx

Dahlia

Becky

Did you tell your GP about your family history? If so you should have been screened within 2 weeks like I was. After that I had genetic screening too, also due to family history.

Please go back and ask for an urgent referral.

D

ForumMember

Hi Becky

I think one of the hardest things to deal with is the constant worry and the tendency to keep going over in your head "what if?". The "what ifs" may never happen and even if they do, you have then worried about them twice, wasting energy. I agree with Sapho. Allow yourself some time each day to worry and then try to forget about it for the rest of the time as it just wears you out. I feel particularly sorry for young women with serious worries. Its not fair as when you are older you usually have had all sorts of problems in life to cope with and you have learned how to get on .Life should be carefree at your age. I know its hard but its the only way to get through this.

My very best wishes

Cathy
x

BeckyC

Thank you all xxxxxxx

I've been told I definately have to have the mamogram, that's all I know for now to be honest. Just have to wait and see. Becky's big day out I suppose.. I might take a picnic instead of being all mournful and depressed!

SallyLou

Becky,

Just wanted to send you my best wishes and love - you shouldn't have to go through this at your age - keep us posted.

Sally xx

debbi

in response to one reply above,because you are younger your tissue is denser but they will only do a needle biopsy if they know there is a lump there,I was classed as young at 38 and had a mammogram and a scan like what they do in prgnancy only smaller before they found a lump and had to have needle biopsy,no age is good to have this but it is getting younger and younger and I really feel for you at 23 to have to go through something like this,but becky, you will be fine,things are so much better now and its more common in young people then everyone knows.Hope all goes well for you,but remember even if you do have it,its not the end of the world.lots of people carry on fine and healthy after few months blip.

BeckyC

Thank you guys xx

I would go and demand to be seen sooner but part of me is kind of okay its so long away as it means I can get my head sorted, and that my bf can definately come with me on that day. I was not worried to start with, but the more I think the more I fret. I think its as I know my family history - mum and her sister Bc, and aunt Ovarian C - I worry more than I need.

Debbie25

Hi Becky

I really agree with Anna , go back to your GP and start shouting to be seen. My GP was convinced that my lump was nothing as I had only just had a baby but I saw her on the Friday, hospital phoned on the monday and my appointment was on the Thursday. Unfortunately for me it turned out to be DCIS but most of the time it is nothing, lots of my friends have had scares and they have all turned out to be fine - but you still should be seen within 2 weeks.

Thinking of you

Love & Hugs
Debbie

annamarie

Hi i would go back to your gp you should be seen within 2 weeks i had a wait of only 8 days demand for your rights

good luck anna

kelyn

Hi Becky
due to your age theres a good chance you wont have a mammogram as the breast tissue is to dense in younger women. A few months before I was diagnosied my daughter 23 had a lump - I've always had lumpy boobs and I have to say that i barely gave it much of a thought that it was anything other than a normal lump. thank goodness this was the case. she didn't have a mammagram but they did a needle biopsy just to prove that it was a normal lump. last year it was still there and getting on her nerves so she had it removed. i'm so glad that I was diagnosied after her results as I would have worried myself sick but before dianosied I hardly worried over lumps as the huge majoiry are harmless - my fingers and toes are crossed that this will be the case for you

sappho

Hi Becky,

So sorry to read that you are having to go through this at such a young age. I am 56 and was diagnosed with breast cancer 17 years ago but have a daughter of 23 so can imagine how you are feeling.

I think the guidelines state that urgent referrals should be seen within 2 weeks and those people whom the GP thinks may have benign lumps wait longer.

If you have a 4 hour appointment, you are probably going to the triple assessment clinic where you will have a consultation, mammogram (ouch), needle biopsy and then a further consultation to tell you the results all in the same appointment. It is a good idea to take someone along with you as support and they can also see the consultant with you if you wish. The medical staff are generally supportive and well aware of how you will be feeling.

The waiting is awful and incredibly stressful. My husband suggested that I had a worry period for 30 mins each day and then put the worry out of my mind but no way could I do that. Any form of exercise made me feel better - I suppose it got rid of some of the adrenalin.

Apparently 9 out of every 10 lumps turn out to be benign so the statistics are on your side.

Good luck for the 26th.

Take care.

Wendyx

BeckyC

only young

Hi..
Just thought I'd leave a message. I don't know if I have anything at present, but I found a lump on my right breast around early January. After a week or so my boyfriend managed to get me to see my Dr, who confirmed a definate lump. She also found another on the left breast , which I had not. I'm just in a place at the moment where I don't want anyone to know, only my boyfriend and sister know, as well as my manager who I had to inform for time off.. I've finally received a letter telling me I'll have a 4 hr appointment on 26th March.

Just wondering how other's coped when waiting and is the wait normally this long ?
I'm just 23 and terrified.. you don't expect to have this worry at this age do you?