cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

operation date

27 REPLIES 27
angel77

Re: operation date

my operation was due tomorrow but because my breast is still soo bruised inside they cant see the lump as ts under a bruise .had mamograms and ultrasounds but still cant be seen .. thats the only reason my operation is put off for over  3 weeks . i would of loved to be  having the operation tomorrow but now i have the waiting game again ,i was told that the extra days waiting wouldnt make no difference as i found the lump so early 8-10mm... i want the lump out asap but i cant do anything untill they can find the lump on the mamogram and put the wire in ready for the operation .. its horrible waiting but i will not let this stop me from being positive and strong xx anybody else find them self getting snappy with love ones ? unsure why this is just happening xx

Lucy_BCC

Hi Ellies and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support you have here our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000, lines open during the week 9-5 and Saturday 10-2 so please feel free to call to talk through your queries/concerns

Here's a link to the newly diagnosed section of the site where you will find further information and support ideas which you may find helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

Take care
Lucy BCC

wax2014

Ellies, I was diagnosed on Jan 2nd with lobular bc, my tumour was large 5cms and I had mx on 1st March, I was the same worried about the long wait but my surgeon reassured me that it wouldn't make a difference to my overall prognosis which is currently going in the right direction with no nodes involved. I have my bone scan this week and then oncologist next week to discuss my treatment. It is very much one step at a time which can be frustrating but keep busy and surround yourself with family and friends its a real help. Hugs wax xxx
ellies

Hi, i  was diagnosed with a grade 2 invasive ductal carcinoma with a 19mm tumour ,this diagnosis was made after 6 mammograms ,ultra sound and 10 wide bore needle biopsies at a one stop clinic  on 3rd of March ,i had to wait for 9 days to get this diagnosis  ,the Doctor was pretty much convinced that what they could see was just tissue so i was not at all prepared to be told that i have breast cancer ,so you can imagine the shock when she said she was totally surprised that it was cancer.Since then i have had an MRI scan and chest X ray ,i am still waiting for the chest X ray results , my breast is very painful.I have been given the date of May 13 th for a fine wire localised wide excision and sentinel node biopsy.Iam very worried that this is such a long time away,i hate to think i have to have this tumour in me for that much longer.They did say that if i wanted they would try to find another hospital who could fit me in earlier than that ,but i have great confidence in my Surgeon and the breast nurse and all the team  there ,i asked if this could affect the outcome of my cancer and she said it shouldn't ,but i am still worried .Sorry to ramble on so, but has anybody got any views on this ?x

angel77

hi i got told today my operation is on 22nd of april now to although the bruise and swelling to go . gutted i have to wait so long for this.. got told there wont be much change in the lump so its ok to leave it for a few weeks x bit annoyed and upset over it  x

Jaye

Hi Angel

So sorry to hear your operation has been put back - the waiting is awful!

I feel for you as I know how time drags leading up to it.

Jaye xx

angel77

soo annoyed and upset that my operation is cancelled until  around the 7th of april .i went to have an ultra sound and they cant find the lump because there is still to much bruising under the skin where they took the biopsy .i built my self up for having the operation on the 1st .. soo annoying and frustrating for me xx

keeks

Hi Angel 77

glad that's the first stage over for you, although your coil could feed your bc I am afraid you'll never know what caused it. Many older women go through the same thing with HRT which can also feed bc.

I think it is normal to ask why this has happened to us and to look for a cause and ask if it was something we did that caused our bc but at the end of the day we will never know.

good luck with the op

keeks

angel77

hi i had my coil removed yesterday and asked my doctor if there was any connection between the mirena and BC and she said no .she said its one of the safest coils and is excellent at doing what its ment to do like stopping heavy periods ect. i still have doubts in the back of my mind that there is some sort of connection but its proving it . ive got loads of appointments this week for the operation but having the coil out was the worst one i was worried over as it hurts soo much xx this forum has really helped me and answers all my questions im worried over xx

lucy12

Yep, I had a marina coil for years as did my best friend who was diagnosed a couple of years ago...

angel77

yes the same as me . i am going to keep looking in to this . so many ladies have the same cancer as me and they also had the coil in . this cant just be coincidental surely xx

MazHitch

I agree I no two friends that have had this coil in and have got the same cancer. I would like to no how they do there research as at no time was I asked about the coil I volunteered this information and with all the forms I filled in I it was never mentioned! X

angel77

hi i also got told mine is oestrogen feed so thats why i have to have it out . mine is coming out tomorrow and my operation is next tuesday x ive also read the coil could possibly trigger ccancer i am doing some research on this .since i have been looking it up i have come across loads of women who are saying the same x

MazHitch

Hi I was told to have the marina coil out as soon as I could as my cancer was oestrogen feed and the coil could be feeding my cancer basically! I tried to find some research regarding this but there doesn't seem to be a lot. I had it removed the week before my operation and all seems well. There are lots of different forms of cancer so just make sure that if you have it removed it is right for you as I have heard it can help in some cases.
Good luck xxx
keeks

I think it will be because  that kind of coil releases hormones.  You can get other kinds that don't have hormones to replace it. 

angel77

thankyou all for your replys they have really helped me ... just another question . since i have found out i have BC i have been told i have to have my mirena coil out has anyone one else had to have this done too xx

lucy12

Yes, cushion under the seatbelt is a must. And tell whoever is driving you home to avoid the pot holes - I felt every little bump in the road.

I bought a pack of two soft bra tops from M&S, I think they were about £10 for the pack. They're really stretchy so could get them on and off without having to lift my arm too much - I bought a front opening post surgery bra too, but found that tricker than the tops. (6 months on, I'm still wearing the soft tops as they are just SO comfy!)

Even though I was told I was first on the list, I took an overnight bag with me (left it in the car), just in case. In reality I didn't end up going down until afternoon and the lady after me ended up having to stay all night as there was nobody to discharge her.

Dressing gown and slipers, loose clothing to come home in (I took a pair of jogging bottoms that I could pull up one handed and hoody with a zip up the front), a book or magazines as there may well be a lot of waiting around.

Good luck xxx

keeks

Hi Angel

telling you not to worry would be like telling you not to breath. Just cant be done. It's only natural.

I took a dressing gown and slippers. I wore them over the gown when I went to get the wire put in.

I would advise taking PJ's just in case and wet wipes. It's always hot in hospital . Something to read while you're waiting. When I went for my pre op they gave me a leaflet with loads of advice. 

Make sure you have a cushion in the car when going home to put under the seat belt so it's not rubbing. 

it'll be over before you know it.

keeks

Jaye

Hi

Thats great that you are on the morning list as I wasn't told until later in the day when I was going down to theatre.

I was in a day unit but was told to take dressing gown and slippers and everything in case I had a late op and didn't get out that day.   They wanted you to be back on the ward for 3 hours before they would let you out and to have had a wee and eaten something and obviously your blood pressure etc needed to be ok.

I expected to feel sick after the op but I didn't which was great.  Just felt a bit spaced out for the first half hour or so.  Drink jugs full of water it helps to flush it out and you do feel incredibly thirsty anyway.

Yes a soft loose bra is a must - strangely they didn't tell me that either but I searched an old bra out as soon as I got home.   I also found I needed to sleep in it as it helped. 

Have you had your pre op appointment yet?   They often give you a bit more info at that.

Jaye x

angel77

i have been told im on the day unit so once operation is done and there happy with me i can leave and ive been told im on the morning list so fingers crossed im one of the first down .. what did u all take in to hospital with you ? as i havnt been told what to take . did you all take a sports bra i have got a front opening bra i brought should i take that ? i also got told to be there at 7 am and the wire will be fitted at 9am i wonder if thats when i will go straight to theatre , thankyou all for your replys it means a lot . i guess we are all going through this or have been through it ..  i will be glad to be home after the operation and know i did it x    

Jaye

I was so scared about the op as like you I hadn't had an operation before and the only time i had been in hospital was to have my daughter 41 years ago lol.

The worrying the few days before were really worse than when the day actually happened.  I went in at 7am had the wire in and radiotherapy dye in at about 10am - once i'd had that done i couldn't wait to get the op done but i was last on the list and went down about 3pm.  I was suprised how calm I felt and remember you will be in a ward with others in the same position, having their operations and that does help.

I came back to the ward at 6.45pm and went home at about 10pm.  I had the option of staying the night but for me going home was the best option.

Best wishes

Jaye x

lucy12

Hi angel

I was terrified before my lumpectomy last Sept - I even asked if I could have it done under a local aneasthetic as I was so scared of having a general... needless to say the answer was "No"

In reality, it was FAR less scary than I was imagining. I had to go in the day before for the blue dye - much less painful than the biopsy. I had the wire put in on the morning of the op, it was done under ultrasound and I didn't have a mammogram afterwards (possibly because the lump didn't show on the mammogram in the first place?)

I went down the theatre at 2.30 and woke up in recovery at about 5.30 - the first thing I did was to feel for a drain under my armpit to indicate if they'd had to remove all of the nodes - but no drain, and they confirmed straight away that the biopsies of the three nodes removed were clear.

I was back on the ward by 6.30, drinking a cup of tea and eating marmite on toast. They wouldn't let me go home until I'd had a wee and it took another 2 hours and several jugs of water. But the first few wee's are bright turquoise which the child in me found hilarious!

I took cocodamol that night before bed as they'd told me to, but I really didn't feel like I needed any pain relief and took very little over the next few days.

It's the fear of the unknown that is frightenning but you really will get through this... and remember to milk it for all it's worth with your family - don't try to be hero, accept help and allow yourself time to heal properly.

Lu xx

angel77

thankyou all for the replys. i have read that many people have the blue dye put in while they are having there operation . i have to have mine put in on monday 31st at 9 am and then i have to go back at 12.30 for a scan as it takes 3 hours for the dye to get to the areas they need to see.. this is my first operation and i am worried about it being my first . should i be this worried xx ? 

Angie55

Hi Angel

I had the lumpectomy on 29th Jan after surgery mine was 11mm but they needed to get clear margins so that made 13mm in total. Like you I couldn't feel the lump and the surgeon couldn't feel it either. Like the other ladies don't get to worried about the wire, this is put in under local anesthetic and they are talking to you all the time. I was a bit concerned about having a mammogram after having the wire put it again this was not painful. I came out the same day and had no problems. I start my radiotherapy on 3rd April. Any more questions just ask.

Take Care

Angie. X

Jaye

Hi Angel

I had the same operation on 4th March and as the other posters have said, it wasn't too painful having the wire in and the radioactive injection. They put the blue dye in when they operated.  Like you I was very worried when it was described to me as to what they were going to do before the operation.

My lump was picked up on a regular screening and was 9mm so very similar to yours as it wasn't possible for the consultant to feel it.  I also had 2 core biopsies before the op but mine were sore but didn't bruise too much so I was perhaps lucky.

Good luck

Jaye xx

kathy03

Hi Angel

I also had the same procedure in December. I didn't feel anything really when having the wire inserted as the local anaesthetic numbs the area and the radiographer chatted to me the whole time which took my mind off the procedure. Also the mammogram to see if the wire is in the right place is much gentler too. The blue dye can take quite a long time to disappear, my surgeon said anything from 3 months to a year. 

Hope that helps.

Kathy

keeks

Hi Angel

I had the same operation last month.

The wire is not as painful as the biopsy.  Nothing like as bad.

They did mine on the morning of my op and injected the dye during surgery but I know some hospitals do it before.

You get the wire put in with an ultrasound and then a mammogram to check its in the right place. 

I was lucky got out same day which was great as I was wiped out and just wanted home.

I bought some very cheap sports type bras on ebay. (£2 each) which have been very handy. Wore them night and day. 

drink loads of water after to flush out the anesthetic and you will also have blue pee for a few days. My breast is stll blue a month later.

take care. 

Keeks

angel77

operation date

have finally been given my operation date 1st april 🙂 before that i have to have lots of little bits done .like ultrasound and the blue dye injection in to the nipple .. i hope all the bits before wont be as painful as my biopsy was ..  i am a bit nervous of the operation .. my lump is 10mm and cant be felt outside of the boob so i have to have a  wire inserted to mark the spot. am glad the lump is soo small though