oral thrush

can anyone suggest a good cure for oral thrush
thanks
caroline

Man alive i got this alllll the time during chemo and still after.

You can get Difflam mouth wash on script or from your chemo unit or i found corsodyl mouthwash helped as well as changing my toothbrush a lot. I couldnt eat any fresh food as it hurt my toungue so stuck to dairy stuff and natural yogurt

good luck

would echo advice re difflam, good luck!

I remember it oh so well,I really feel for you.I was first given nystatin drops but they did nothing then hospital gave me lozenges can’t remember the name but I’m sure your oncologist will know,these worked very well along with the mouthwash.

Wishing you well Mel xx

Hi Carolhine,

The problem with thrush is that it gets a hold and then spreads into the oesophagus and often to the vagina. It really needs hitting hard and mouthwashes do not work. My Oncologist prescribed Fluconazole which worked very quickly. If you are on chemo you should wash your mouth out 4 times a day with pure pineapple juice which keeps ulcers at bay.

Good luck,

E

TRhanks ladies, knew I’de get some good advice on here.
cheers
caroline

I wish I knew how to get rid of it - have had it in my throat for 5 months now, and it is really getting me down - on top of all the other things. I have had months of treatment - nothing works. My onc told me she thinks I will just have to wait until I have recovered enough from treatment to fight it off myself.

Hi,

Anyone having problems with thrush and medication not working could try natural treatments.

One tablespoon natural yoghourt after every meal and nothing to eat or drink for 1 hour.

One good quality probiotic tablet or capsule taken once a day before the yoghourt.

E

welcome to the white mouth group eat pinnaple doctor told me keep useing mouth wash and brush your tounge with a fine toothbrush not 2 hard it does clear my problem is it keeps coming back

I’m another one for fluconazole, i was prescribed it throughout chemo - because of a really bad bout at chemo no.1. after taking it i never had another problem. The deal was it had to be taken from day from day 5 to day 15 or so, can’t quite remember.

Good luck - i feel for you, for me it was one of the worst chemo symptoms and i only experienced it one time.

Lynn

I too suffer from bouts of thrush.
Had all the treatments but no success.
Strange thing is, I only started getting it after all chemo and rads were finished.
I am defo going to try the pineapple.
I think that’s the only remedy I haven’t covered LOL.

Hi Ladies,
I also had a really bad bout of oral thrush with my first tax, saw the doctor and was given Nystan oral suspension. They gave it to me to take on the next two chemos just in case. I was fine on the second tax but had a bit of thrush on the last so ended up getting a further prescription.
I can honestly say when people ask me about chemo, the thrush was the worst thing I always remember!!!
I think it must have been the antibiotics they gave with the tax.
Hope I never get it again, it was horrendous!!
Love to you all,
Jane x