69.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

out of curiosity... why can't results be given over phone?

3 REPLIES 3
Judithvr6

Re: out of curiosity... why can't results be given over phone?

From what I've recently experienced and heard of other people's experiences all medical staff are fully open and honest about things.

If they are not sure they say so, if they are confident they say so and they give you the facts as soon as possible.

But certainly, I am sure you are trying to analyse every bit of contact and information.

It's a horrid time, the not knowing.

Goldie123

Thanks judith. I think I'm reading too much into the behaviour of the doctors and staff. I'm trying to analyse why they would say they were 99% sure its benign but send me for a biopsy anyway or why they made a follow up appointment rather than just phone. Surely they are suspicious it could be bad and are forward planning.

Funny what tricks the mind will play on you when you're anxious and feeling vulnerable.
Judithvr6

Hi Goldie,

I guess because if you had a call that said you had to go in to collect that would effectively tell you that the news wasn't good. And nowadays there is lots of support built in around giving you the news.

Years ago, with my first bc, I was told they 'didn't know' what the lump was but they wanted to get it out 'to be on the safe side'. Then when waiting for the pathology results and after phoning the Drs for weeks to chase I was eventually told the results had arrived and the Dr would come out on a home visit to tell me.

That in itself gave me the news that there was lymph spread and I had to deal with the news home alone and didn't see the Dr till the next day.

Having a second bc 22 years later I remember how awful the waiting is but the care and support now available when results are given is awesome. IF it's bad news, believe me, having a Breast Care Nurse at hand and a private room to gather your thoughts in for as long as you need is priceless.

Even if it's good news (I guess) the emotions can be very strong and support may also be appreciated.

Goldie123

out of curiosity... why can't results be given over phone?

I just thought if its nothing serious it would save time to tell patients over the phone? Is there a reason everyone has to go back in?