cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pain after surgery

5 REPLIES 5
Funkilala

Re: pain after surgery

Thanks CheshireCheese that makes so much sense about the incision not being in the place where the nodes are removed from.
Since seeing my surgeon on weds for results and asking him about pain and a small area of swelling things have changed. My swelling has gone from near the scar to right accross my boob and then under my arm and around my back and arm pit. I phoned my BC nurse and she said take anti inflammatories but should this be happening 10 days post op? The thing that really freaks me out is I found out today that I have to go back on the 11th of December for a full clearance and I'm not even over this op yet.

:( x
CheshireCheese

The scar from where they went in to take the lymph nodes is probably not directly over where the nodes were - they usually make the incision in a place where it will be hidden by the natural skin folds under the arm. The nodes they've taken were probably in your armpit, which is why it's sore there. It seems to take a while for the nerves to come back to life after they've been upset by surgery, then they let you know that they're not happy. For the first week I thought "great, can barely feel a thing", then after 10 days or so, it was more "ouch!", and that lasted for weeks.

My GP prescribed amitriptyline to deal with the nerve pain, and it was fantastic! It's an old-fashioned anti-depressant, which also helps you sleep, so a double bonus. Initially I was taking 20mg per night, but later reduced to 10mg and I'm still taking that to aid sleep. 20mg or 10mg is a small fraction of the therapeutic dosage for depression.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Funki
many thanks for your response to reassure me. I do not have a temperature so I will bear with it. I am surprised at how painful it is and I have quite a high pain threshold.
take care and I wish you well.
Jennie xx
Funkilala

Hi whchways!

I had the the same surgery the day after you and have the same pain under my arm and across my boob (some days). It varies from feeling like bad sunburn to an ache. I went back for my post op appointment today and asked the surgeon if this was normal and he said it varies from woman to woman but it is common.
As long as you dont have a temperature or feel flu like symptoms then I wouldn't worry.
Hope that reassures you a bit
Funki X
Lucy_BCC

Hi wychways and welcome to the BCC forums

Whilst you await replies please feel free to call our helpline team to talk through your concerns, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

I am posting a link to the BCC 'just diagnosed' page where you will find further support ideas and information which may help over the coming months along with the BCC publication 'Your operation and recovery' which may answer some of your concerns at the moment:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/your-operation-recovery-bcc151

Take care

Lucy

Guest user
Not applicable

pain after surgery

Hello
I have had a lumpectomy and nodes removed on the 21st November. I have not had much painn to speak of but today I am very sore under my arm but it is not on the area that has had surgery but under my arm pit and. Is this normal and why would it be so painful?

I have found this website really healpful since in found out that I had breast cancer on the 22nd October.

Many thanks
xx