pain in tumour site?

Hi girls,
I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that a side-effect of herceptin can be pain in the site of the tumour. Does anyone know anything about this, particulary what time interval there is likely to be between the infusion and feeling the pain? (Aha have just found it on cancerbackup leaflet they gave me at the start of treatment.)
I’m asking because my back is killing me tonight. I had herceptin this morning. I mentioned the back pain to my onc this morning and he’s sending me for a scan, but it’s definitely worse tonight.
Any info gratefully received
jacquie x

Just bumping this up. Please, is there anyone who knows about this. In terrible pain in back since herceptin yesterday.
Jx

Hi Jacksy,

I definitely remember reading that herceptin could give pain in the tumour site if you have secondaries. As I only had primary BC, I have had no pain from my herceptin. However, when I have my herceptin I sit and chat to two ladies who are on it long term, one for bone secondaries and the other for spread to lymph nodes in the neck. They have both commented that they get no side effects (other than nails getting very weak) so your back pain might be totally unrelated.

Hi Jacksy,

I certainly don’t have problems with pain on herceptin but of course have been on it for a long time now. It is not unusual on the first infusion to experience pain at the site of a tumour. I was quite shocked on that first infusion with pain in my neck - worse than any I had experienced to that point. But have never experienced it again. So do get it checked out with someone if this is not your first time - I can’t remember LOL.

dawnhc

Hi Jacksy,

I still had a tumour when I started on Herceptin, and I thought it was hurting, this could have been due to the chemo which I was having at the same time. I spoke to the Onc and she said it is poss for the tumour to hurts as they are being attacked by the drugs. I have now had the tumour removed and no longer have the pain even though I’m still on herceptin.

k

Thanks for your comments. I have had a feeling (wouldn’t describe it as a pain) in my liver after herceptin quite a few times. This back pain is fairly new, but much much more intense since I had my herceptin yesterday. Shockingly bad. I got in tonight and there’s a message from the scanner centre to arrange my MRI so I don’t think I’ll be waiting long for an answer, thankfully. Then if it’s nothing to do with the bc I can harangue my GP!
Thanks for caring
Jx

Just found this thread and I’m very pleased that I did. I too have been having pain around my tumour sites. I was starting to worry but feel a little more confident now!

Val