peoples reaction

_ coming to terms with being diagnosed with breast cancer so facing my own fears knowing I have 2 young kids and being a single parent with a handful of support from family and friends. _

_ Is it me or as soon as folks know you have BC they look and treat you like you have just been handed a death sentence. _

_ I have been diagnosed with BC… Grade 1 but due to only being small in boob size and the fact there is also a binine tumour sat mm apart from it that also has to b removed my surgeon has opted for a single mastectomy… No idea of stage at the most until dye goes in and see if any lymph nodes involved… None were a few weeks ago I may add but things change… _

_ Is anyone else having these people give you the look of impending doom and if so how do u deal with it as it makes me very depressed and look at things more on a negative approach rathwer than optimistic _

I am somewhat older than you, have no close family. Had small grade 3 lump removed, + SNB on Friday. My solution would probably not be appropriate for your circumstances, but just throw this in for purposes of discussion.

I have told the absolute minimum of people, only those who had to know and were clued-up enough not to give me ‘that look’. It is the result of lack of knowledge on the part of those who do give us that look - going on living, and doing so as well as possible, has to be the only thing you can do.

x

Hi Flori

I’m so sorry you have had a bad experience on the forum.  Sometimes when a thread is busy a post can get overlooked, so that could be the reason no one acknowledged your post.

You have always been so helpful and supportive to new members, I’m sure your contributions on the forum are very much appreciated.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi Tracy - I also kept it very much to myself and the op. took place at a holiday period so I was lucky and able to keep it quiet. I told my nearest blood relative only after I discovered that my nodes were clear so about two weeks after the mastectomy. I did not have recon. Obviously my husband knew and three others I am close to but I asked them all to keep mum about it. 

Please don’t be depressed, the op was nothing like as bad as I imagined and I was back home the day after although not a great deal of use about the house!

Do keep positive and don’t be afraid to ask for help from your friends because you will need someone to help with heavy things for a while. I know it is a very hard fact to swallow  but the up-beat attitude of the patient actually helps those about them to cope.

I have been reading this forum for some years and sometimes have been moved almost to tears by the warmth and frienship of the replies so keep logging on.

Make sure you do your post op. exercises and remember it is a fine line, for those without personal experience of cancer, between showing lack of sympathy and being too negative.

I wish you all the best for your op. and for a very successful outcome.

Thanku for the positive reply people… My cancerous lump is grade 1 but no staging yet… Lymph nodes were clear about 2 weeks ago but things change I know… We were just going for the lumpectamy at first but because the tumour which is benign is sat mms right next to the 12mm cancer lump and I have only little boobs and surgeon won’t leave it in we have agreed on a single mastectomy… As not much boob will b left anyway buy the time both come out… 

Peoples reaction when they hear the big c has totally blown me away with there negative approach…but have to say the people on here do give me lots of hope and encouragement so thanku one and all for that.

Xxx

I know how you feel the waiting is the worst iam still in pain 8days after feel tired all the time till I go to bed the awake hope to have results next week hugs to every one