phantom pains

Hello, I was called back after mammogram on 6th March, due to changes in my left breast since previous one, 3 years earlier. I am 53.  No symptoms, just regular check ups.  A week later I was having another mammogram, followed by an ultrasound (and an introduction to the BCN, core biopsies x3 and then a CT scan.  Another 5 days til the consultant, who confirmed BC.  Lump plus lymph nodes, so off I go for a bone scan.  Another week passes, but the scan results were not through for next consultants meeting.  Apparently there may be issue in my spine, and my liver, so MRI booked next Weds.  My next consultation will be Weds after that at earliest.  So, a month so far, still no firm diagnosis therefore no treatment plan.  BCN tells me I will be having targeted treatment, perception so should I presume I have secondary breast cancer?  I recently started a new job, very physical and making me fitter all the time, but now I have pain in all the places that have been mentioned.  Is it all (or mostly) in my head?? Oh, and does the consultant give you some sort of written diagnosis (or was that it…“you have breast cancer”)    Sorry this has gone on, I think I would go mad if I didn’t read what is said on here…thanks for listening xx

Hi sod6162 and welcome to the BCC forums where I am sure you will find support and shared experiences

In addition, our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support to help you through this worrying time, lines are open again from Tuesday 7th April 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays so do feel free to call to talk concerns and queries through

I am posting a link to further information and support which I hope you will find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi sod6162. My experience has some similarities to yours. I am also 53 and had a swollen lymph node removed from underarm in mid December last year which was diagnosed as a secondary cancer on 31st Dec, primary unknown but thought most likely to be breast. Between mid Dec and mid Jan I had mammogram, ultrasound, CT scan, MRI scan, core biopsies, MRI guided biopsy, more ultrasound to investigate abnormalities found on MRI and CT scans, gastroscopy and a bone scan. None of these investigations identified a primary, but the pathology tests on the lymph node finally came back as HER2 positive so my oncologist is 99.9% certain that it’s breast, so that’s what I am being treated for. I understand how you must be feeling - the worst part for me (apart from the initial diagnosis) was waiting for the results of all the tests to find out exactly what I had. I think it’s completely normal to experience symptoms in the areas that are being investigated - I felt the same whilst I was waiting for my results. Once I had my treatment plan it was such a relief to finally feel that something was happening that was trying to make me better. You can then get into a routine rather than constantly waiting for results and consultations, which is horribly stressful. I am having FEC-T chemo (6 in total, 4 completed) plus 18 x Herceptin due to the HER2 positive result. My consultant did give me some notes at my initial diagnosis, but I haven’t received (or requested) a full report since having all the tests. You can request this though and I think many ladies have copies of their pathology reports.
Sorry for rambling on - hope at least some of this has been of help. I hope you get your diagnosis and treatment plan really soon. Take care xx

Hello sod6162,

I have been copied into all the letters sent to my GP so those have been my diagnosis letters.  Surely they would have writen to your GP by now?  I would ask BCN for something in writing xxx

Take a pronted q&a sheet with you… I’ve prepared one if you want a copy? Helped me enormously.
Pm me you email and I’ll send it over.