cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pins and needles after node clearance

5 REPLIES 5

Re: pins and needles after node clearance

Good evening ladies.

I would just like to say a big thankyou to you lovely girls namely Linda Alex G Jane and lulu for posting me a reply.
Sounds daft but I was quite excited by the whole experience (sad i know I should get out more!) no really its just so comforting to know others have been through the same experience and recovered.
I was feeling so sorry for myself yesterday. Although its no better today - still got the 'chronic sunburn'( a good description Jane) sensation back of my arm and left shoulder - I have a different mind set because of your encouraging posts
I did contact my BCN and she said it might go away or it might not....I know they have to tell it like it is but...........anyway i have decided it will go away and it's just a matter of waiting.
Results next tuesday so I'll hopefully get more info then .
keep up the good work ladies ........
many thanks
sunshine girl

Hi there
I had axilla clearance too,as well as reconstructive surgery on 26th July (Lat dorsi flap). As well as feeling as if I am burning from my elbow up to my armpit I also feel as if the whole area is strapped up tightly with duck tape and somebody keeps on pulling it tighter. Very weird! It's causing me great discomfort, particularly at night.
Let's hope it will gradually ease off. I worry about the sheer amount of painkillers I have to take in order not to bounce off the wall in agony. 😞
LX

Hi Sunshine girl

I had node clearance 6 weeks ago and had exactly the sensation you describe - I felt it was like chronic sunburn down the back of my arm.

It lasted quite a long time and even now, it's not back to normal, but is quite bearable. I was told to get used to the altered sensation and I am definitely adjusting to it, plus it is getting better as some of the nerves heal.

Have you had a follow-up with the surgeon yet? Hopefully s/he will be able to put your mind at rest, or call your BCN?

Keep up the exercises! xxx Jane

Hi Sunshine Girl,

I had a full axillary clearance in January 2008. There is bound to be nerve damage with this type of surgery so what you are feeling is quite normal. The upper arm feels heavy and numb and often with a tingling sensation.

Nearly three years on and my arm has lost that heavy sensation but some areas remain numb especially the actual arm pit. There are parts of my arm that I could scratch and not feel anything. It is no great hardship.

The swelling you mention sounds like a seroma which is a pocket of fluid. This can be drained if it becomes uncomfortable. I had mine drained several times with gradually decreasing amounts (1pt down to a quarter of a pint.) This too settled down eventually.

I hope you have been warned about the dangers of developing lymphedema after axillary clearance. If you need to know more information on this do ask and I'll be happy to help.

Good luck,
AlexG

Hi Sunshine Girl,

I had Mx and ANC at the end of march. Initially I had a lot of numbness around the wound and also over an extensive area under my arm around my shoulder blade and down theback of my upper arm. The numb area has gradually grown smaller (as the nerves repaired) and i found that as it did so the skin at the edges of the numb area became extremely sensitive to touch with a strange stinging/burning sensation. That has now all settled down and I no longer have any discomfort although some areas are still numb and probably will always remain so.

I had some swelling around the wound due to seroma but that settled after a few weeks. I did feel that my underarm was swollen but in fact it was just an illusion due to the altered sensation in that area.

I also found that my arm stiffened if I was imobile for too long but I kept on with the exercises and no longer have any mobility issues.

HTH

Linda
xx

pins and needles after node clearance

Hello people,
new to contributing to forums, my first post. Since being diagnosed at the end of June I've found this site invaluable,comforting and reassuring.Briefly I've had a WLI with SNB for a IDC tumor. I have recently ( two weeks ago ) had full node clearance as the SNB found cancer present. Every thing good for the first few days but since then have developed numbness/ soreness and pins and needles in my affected left arm. Mainly from the elbow up, under the arm spreading round the back and under my left shoulder. Like brushing yourself with stinging nettles to touch with difficulty raising the arm after a period of stillness. Under arm somewhat swollen, but not drastically so.I would be grateful to hear from anyone who had a similar experience and recovered! - or partially recovered to a less distressing level. Any tips on what to do or what not to do ?
Best wishes to all Sunshine girl