cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please help me

6 REPLIES 6
Molennium

Re: please help me

from what I read, intermediate DCIS would turn into intermediate breast cancer rather than into high grade DCIS. Any delays are stressful so hope you get things sorted as quickly as possible - but it's no good having an operation unless you are fit. 14 june isn't that far away thank goodness.

Mole

maxinebev

Op cancelled as chest infection. Still feel poorly after steroid tablets and 3 lots of antibiotics. Rescheduled for 14.6.08. Hope I get better soon.
2 weeks ago found out have high grade in left boob, which I think means can spread. My lymph under arms have been hurtig all year but everyone keeps saying it is fine.

Max

maxinebev

Thanks Hilary. Saw breast care nurse yesterday and she described the LD with implant to me in detail. Feel happier now. THe double mastectomy with DIEP would have made me smaller, though someone on this site said it could be used with an implant, which they refused to do for me. Also I was told the op could take 18 hrs. The LD with implant is much quicker. Have no fat on my back though.

Lets hope I dont need chemo or rads as this could effect the implants. Have had intermediate DCIS for over 5 months now and just want it out of me. Lets hope it hasnt turned to high grade. Fingers crossed. Op date 17.5.08. Not long now.

Maxine xx

Grateful

GRATEFUL

Hi Maxinebe - I was first diagnosed Oct.3rd 2007 with DCIS, which I had never heard of, had my mastesctomy on the 4th Dec. When I was told that I would have to have a mastectomy, I was offered a Back (latissimus dorsi) flap op. and when I first saw my Plastic Surgeon, he went into great detail of all of my options, he said as I had at least a good kilo of muscle on my back there was plenty there for them to work with. My operation took about five hours, and everything went well, after spending eight days in hospital I went home, aftercare was excellent, seeing a district nurse every day for a week,for my dressings, then went to my local hospital. I had to visit my hospital every fortnight then four wekks on I went to see my Plastic Surgeon, who was pleased with everything. I am going to see him again in July, to arrange adjustment to my left breast, so that it matches my "new" breast. My breast size is still 38, but I have gone down a couple of cup sizes, from DD to B, I still marvel how my breast looks, and thank god we have such wonderful, devoted Plastic Surgeons.

I have been very fortunate that I havn't had to have any chemo of rad. nor having to take tamoxifen. I have survived on paracetomol, and diclofenic pain killers.

Aftercare care has been excellent, I have several contacts, one being my Plastic surgeons secretary, who I can E-mail or phone any time,and get immediate reply. This forum has been very helpful to me were I have found lots of my questions answered through reading various letters.

My back is fine now, although sometimes feels a little tight, and have to watch what I carry with my right arm. Other than that everything is good. Hope you get on as well, as I have done. Remember always think positive, and keep asking the questions.

Will be thinking of you

Love

Hilary x x

maxinebev

molennium

Thanks for your comments. They are much appreciated. Have been worried sick thinking about whether I have made the right choice and should I delay op on 17.5.08 to get a second opinion. The plastic surgeon they have given me only qualified 12 months ago so he has not shown me any after photos, only one during the op, which I didnt really want to see. The LD will definately be with implants.Have looked on this site and there seems to be problems with nerves, tendons and chest tightness. Also I spoke to a lady who had a bilateral recon with LD and she had had each of her implants rejected 3 times, so 6 times in all. Also they slipped down and also went higher. Has anone else had these problems? She has been in and out of hospital having them replaced for 4 years!

Does anyone know if the DIEP uses more fat than you can grab. I have been trying to grab mine to see what size I'll end up with. Really wanted a tummy tuckand may consider liposuction later if I stick with the LD, as if I can get through this I can get through anything!

Have not had a pre op yet. If I was having the DIEP I think I need a CT scan too. The breast care nurse is on holiday till Thurs. Seems I may have to stick with the LD as all the odds are against me time wise. It has been going on for 5 months and now is all rushed at the end.

Thanks

Maxine

Molennium

it's extremely difficult to make a decision on this as you don't have time to research all the options. However, I would avoid implants if I was you as they are foreign objects and the body sometimes rejects them making you prone to infection or makes the breast area go hard. As for TRAM it uses muscles and you can get a hernia. The DIEP is the best in my opinion but you'd need a surgeon who knows what he is doing and it has a higher failure rate than some other ops as it involves micro surgery - they have to keep the blood supply going and re-join very small blood vessels. The LD is an easier operation.

To get a plastic surgeon and a breast surgeon together seems a major problem as well, so sometimes you have to compromise and go for whatever op your particular surgeon does

maxinebev

please help me

Can someone please help me urgently?
I was first biopsied on 3.12.07 because I had 2 solid lumps (one with a shadow behind it) and several clusters of micro calcification in my right boob. They pierced my artery whilst doing the biopsies and I was left black and blue and had a huge haematoma in my breast as a consequence. I had a wide local excision on 25.1.08, when they could only pin point one lump to remove instead of the two. (the other lump with the shadow,I feel, was hidden by the haematoma). I was told on 13.2.08 I had intermediate DCIS in the clusters and other tissue. They said the edges werent clear in 2 places and I needed another smaller op to get clearance and that is all the treatment I needed. They wrote to my doctor twice saying this. I argued that there was still one lump still inside me for weeks and weeks and have never had the egdes cleared . AN MRI showed everything still hidden by haematoma.They said I could consider a mastectomy if I wanted or have the edges cleared and wait 6 -12 months for review when they might be able to see more clearly.

I went for a 2nd opinion and was told without doubt that I needed a mastectomy . Moreover they have picked up from the MRI that I have it in my other boob. I found out on 21.4.08 that I need a double mastectomy.

I have been back and forward to hospitals for 5 months and am desperate to get the cancer out of me. I saw a plastic surgeon yesterday who says they have provisionally booked 17.5.08 for my bilateral mastectomy and recon. I saw him for first time 4 weeks earlier when I possibly only needed one done. We agreed on a DIEP recon then. Now yesterday he suggested an LD with implants as he couldn't guarantee my size with the DIEP. I mentioned theTRAM ops which use your muscles as well to bulk out. He doesn't believe in doing those at it compromises your stomach muscles. I was all set on having a tummy tuck as well.

I have been thinking about it overnight and rang the breast nurses today to see if I could speak to someone re TRAM recons especially the free TRAM. They have said I have to have what he does as he is in a team with my breast consultant. To speak to another team and a different plastic surgeon there who does do TRAM recons will delay my op. I have had to wait 4 weeks to see the plastic surgeon yesterday and feel he is limiting my choices and I would rather not have implants if possible. I am 10-12 and 4ft 11 in , 9 stone and 36c. Would I get volume with a tram and should I wait to get a second opinion or go for LD and get the cancer out of me after 5 month?
Thanks to anyone who reads this.
Maxinebev