post chemotherapy problems

Hi I posted before about the aches and pains and muscle problems I was having at the end of chemo (3 fec and 3 tax) and received all your lovely, supportive posts. I have now finished radiotherapy which was a real breeze!! on Christmas Eve I have gradually got my strength back but in last few days have been suffering excruciating pains in my hips, knees, legs, feet and hands. It is sheer agony, I have been taking paracetomol and ibuprofen and resorted to piriton to make me sleep!! Not like me to take any tabs but I was desperate. I thought maybe I had done too much in the day but tonight its bad again although I have taken it easy today. I am desperate I can only hobble and moving is so bad, is this common after chemo?? I had my last one mid Nov - iust seems to be getting worse not better although I have periods in the day when I have no pain and am active. If the pain wasn’t so widespread I would be worried but I don’t feel its anything sinister just very painful!!! help please, and Happy New Year, will think of you all and raise a glass at midnight to all of us. lots of love Tessa xxx

Hi woodlandmanor

Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their experience and knowledge if you would like to talk this through with someone please do give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000. Here you can share your concerns with a trained member of staff who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and information. The lines are open today between 9 and 2pm and re-open again on Tuesday.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hello Tessa

Are you on Tamoxifen or Arimidrex? I know these medications can give joint pain. I am on Tamoxifen (three years since dx) and find that Rose Hip tablets really help.

Other ladies have said to me that the Tax chemo can give residual probems especially in the hands and feet. I had 6 EC but no Tax. It’s a horrid thing to say but I have never been the same since chemo and now have an irritable bowel and my right foot has been affected, with a revival of an old ankle injury, pain and cracking skin, but hey it is much better than the alternative, which was a return of BC.

You may find a less than sympatheitc hearing about your pains from your onc as they seem unwilling to accept a connection between the meds and pain, but have a chat with your BCN and then your GP, I don’t know your circumstances but it could be that if you are in a “false” menopause, your bosy is aching with that, and they may order a scan to set your mind if not at rest, at least in an informed state.

Wishing you a Happy New Year, too!

Hi, the tax can give you pains sometimes lasting a year post Chemo! I still have muscle&bone pains nearly 6 months post last tax. My legs are the worst affected. I think tamoxifen and being pushed into menopause may also be contributing! X

Hi thank you for your replies, I am on femara but only just started this and joint and muscle pain had started before. You may be right that the menopause I am just in is contributing to the pain and the TAX I had. It may be time, I am learning that there is a difference between treatment and recovery and the latter takes as long if not longer than the treatment. Day by day (again!!) happy new year to you all and lots of love, wishing us all a fabulous 2011 with our health getting stronger and our minds in a good place! xxx

Hi my first post on here but I have been reading your posts for some time.

might sound odd but it is good to know others feel the same and have the same problems.

Had mastectomy in March2010 followed by chemo, which ended in Sept 2010( the red stuff) - sorry the technical terms befuddle me !!

Been very ill all through chemo including afterwards for 4 months till now.

Ate and drank hardly anything as it would not stay down. Eventually collapsed in a heap in a supermarket car park on Xmas Eve unable to move.

hubby got me into the car and got me home somehow.

Over the next 2 days I could hardly walk and was shuffling about holding onto things so I would not fall over. I actually did fall over several times when my legs just gave way. Worst of all I cannot remember what was going on. Xmas day, boxing Day and the few days afterwards are mostly a blank with a few lucid flashbacks.

Hubby and son took me to emergency - well carried me in - day after Boxing day as I could not walk.

Worst of all was everyone thought I was just blind drunk

Was in hospital for a fortnight - results showed severe dehydration and all minerals depleted. Calcium was extremely high but no sodium, potassium or anything else !!!

Hospital basically de-toxed me totally, replaced the minerals and took me off all pills except letrazole.

I feel as though I am someone completely different now.

Consultants do not know what caused it but it happened 3 weeks after starting the hormone pills.

Has anyone else had anything similar ?