post fibroadenoma surgery self confidence issues

posted on behalf of new user Marissa26

Hi, I am 18 years old and about 4 weeks ago I had a breast lumpectomy. My surgery went well, I had little pain, and it confirmed that the lump was a benign fibroadenoma. I have never had the best self confidence with my body. However ever since the surgery it has gotten significantly worse. I got the incision around the top edge of my nipple so that the scar would blend in better in a few years. I am having a really hard time dealing with one breast being significantly smaller than the other and the nipple with the scar being significantly larger now than the other. It just makes me feel ugly and I know I should be grateful because I have it better than most who have to have breast surgery. I am, but it’s a change on my body that a 18 year old would never want. It makes me afraid to show my body to a man in the distant future in fear of him not understanding why I’m disproportionate. In addition to my low self confidence, before my surgery they found another smaller fibroadenoma and decided that this is the way my body reacts to hormones. So I may need surgery again in the future because this lump is higher up on the breast and they cannot tunnel from a more concealable area. This is all very stressful to me, so if anyone is willing to give any type of advice to help me understand and accept I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you for allowing me to vent and seek advice.
-Marissa

Dear Marissa - you poor thing having to undergo breast surgery at your age and I can understand why you feel so low about it.  Most of the ladies on these threads are older than you but we all suffer similar anxieties about how we look after surgery.  I know that BBC has a forum for younger women that might be more helpful to you - perhaps you could give one of the counsellors a call to find out more and ask them to put you in touch with someone in a similar position.   Can you talk to your Mum about how you are feeling?  The other thing that I wanted to say is that there are many decent men around who will accept you for what you are and they will not care if you have one breast smaller than the other.  I know that this is difficult to believe at your age but trust me, it’s true!  Not many people are blessed with perfect bodies.  Please call the Bcc helpline - they have helped lots of us. Try not to worry - there is lots of help out there.  All will be well. Jennifer x

Hi, I am 52 so a lot older than you but I also had a lumpectomy like you and also 20 sessions of radiotherapy. As a result of the radio the breast that had the cancer is now a cup size smaller than the other, has a long scar from nipple to underarm and the internal scar has attatched to the wall of muscle behind my chest, pulling the external scar inwards, looks great !!. Anyway I am having fat transfer done and the internal scar released in a couple of days to make me look better, ok more normal, for MY benefit, my hubby thinks I am mad to have more surgery as I look just fine as I am !!!. What I am trying to say is there are ways to change how you look should you wish to but please only do it for yourself. You will meet a guy who wont bat an eyelid, because he will fall in love with YOU. Whatever you decide take your time, I finished my radio 15 months ago and have tried to accept how I look but have now decided to try to get it fixed. I wish you all the best for your future xxx