Re: post mastectomy bra wars

Thanks Elle,

Snoogle
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Snoogle
Glad you are doing well. Seromas' are a pain but it soon passes.
Take care
Elle

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi,

Just to catch up went ahead with mx and anc on 11th. Op seemed to go well and although tired and sore I am recovering well. Go to have the seroma drained for a second time tomorrow. Only had it done on Monday but it has swollen up massively again and we have a funeral to attend on Thursday which involves a long drive so don't want to be too uncomfortable for that.

Best wishes to all,

Snoogle
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Elle,

I had a bit of a wobble the other day and questioned whether I should be having the reconstruction. But have been stressed out about some other stuff going on in my life so was probably just thinking too much!

Hubby and I are going away for a romantic weekend before the operation.

Take care,

Snoogle
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck For the 11th Snoogle
Elle x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there,

Decision made, having mastectomy (right only) and ANC on 11th February, no reconstruction.

Snoogle
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Think I will probably not have reconstruction. Insurance company will pay for delayed reconstruction up to three years after maestectomy, so I may have that option later if I choose. Surgeon is keen to operate once only, so I will have to discuss that with him. But all in all it seems that life can go on quite well with just one breast. I would probably be more affected by the axillary node clearance. Does anyone have experience of this and are they prepared to share their experiences?

Thanks

Snoogle
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Snoogle
I didn't choose to not have a recon straight away but couldn't due to probably needing radiotherapy. I am having chemo at the moment and will have my recon once all my treatment is over.
My prosthesis is great and was possibly one of the best days I have had in years when I got it. It sits well in my normal bras and looks brilliant. I can even wear T-shirts now and no-one would know. It has not bothered me yet not having the recon however this may change come the summer when I want to go swimming, sun bathing etc. I have no problem with body image but I will have reconstruction and propholaxis removal of my other breast (strong family hisory).
I know this probably won't be of much use to you at this hard time but you just have to do what you feel is going to be right for you in the long run.
Thinking of you.
Elle x

Hi
I have posted how I feel on here before - but if it helps. I had a mastectomy last June. I chose not to have reconstruction - I didn't want to be in hosptial for one minute more than I had to. I wanted to get over the op as quickly as possible. I have a prosthesis which I am happy with and wear pocked bras. I am happy with the way I look - when dressed. I don't think people can tell which is my real breast and which is the prosthesis.
I hope this helps you.
Good luck. Thinking of you.
Liz

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there, Hope you girls don't mind me asking for advice. I have to make a decision by Thursday on whether to a) have a maestectomy (I have secondaries and know it is unusual for people in my position to be offered this surgery, b) have a maestectomy and reconstruction (using back skin and muscle) or c) not have surgery at all. I was thinking of having a maestectomy and not recon, but met with a nurse today and have been left confused and not sure what to do. I worry know that if I don't have recon (surgeon only wants to operate once) then I will regret it, but there are not guarantees as to how much time having a maestectomy will gain me. Sorry to waffle, but basically from reading this thread I can see that a number of you have had the mastectomy without recon and seem okay. Any advise, comments, suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your time.

Snoogle
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Gogirl
A good range and good sizes aswell.
Elle

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi,

I have just found a new range of mastectomy bras. They do a large range of sizes and they start at a 32 which I find is really hard to find. Marks and Spencers are always sold out and royce etc always seem to start at 34 for all their pretty bras. The website is aboutthegirl.co.uk

Guest user
Not applicable

Every where I go I seem to buy a new bra. Nice one from Asda today very comfortable but lacking on the support front if you are bigger. A bargain at £6.
x

Hi Girls, I have sourced bras by Royce for post mastectomys in John Lewis and when they have a sale I have picked up bras for myself for £5 or £6. There is a pocket that that you can insert a prothesis into if necessary. I wear a size 34F or 36E and found them very comfortable, and not underwired. Hope this is of some help to somebody. I once picked out a bra in John Lewis that I found very practical and comfy only to be told by the assistant that the bra I was holding was for breast-feeding mothers! Hope you have luck in the bra hunting exercise, ladies. Love Val X

Guest user
Not applicable

Chemo assessment and seroma drainage today so thought I would treat myself to some bras. Bought 3 from M&S and would highly recommend the underwired plain black one (£12 minus VAT) actually makes me look pre surgery that is until you see the great big dink in my chest. I was always very proud of my DD's but now wish I was a lot smaller as look like cyclops chest. The thing is with my one very large boob it needs quite a big of scaffolding so am really happy to find an underwired one. They even had some post sugery bras in the sale what a find, I was so happy as love a good old bargain but alas no DD's was tempted to buy any size just to make me feel like I had bagged a bargain.
Cancer is an expensive business I have to say as have to pay for my wig, new underwear, clothes, hats, parking etc. I was given a leaflet (yes another one) about financial support but again as not on any benefits and have a job (not for long though thanks to the big C)will probably not be eligible for anything.
Wizzbaby I too was thinking of a bra making course as I did try to fashion one of my existing bras into something wearable but I obviously never got a blue peter badge as it turned out dreadfully and I gave up.
Hymil, I used to live in Kent and would love to have seen a village by that name. We keep saying we will go back there one weekend if we do will look it up. Am very jealous you have Bluewater to shop in Leicester unfortunately cannot compare.
Happy hunting ladies. x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

I'm wearing the stick on ones (but not for sport) and so far so good. PM if you want any more info. elle.

I've just watched How to look good naked and Kelly said that she had been on a bra making course and had had a bra made. Both good ideas.
I shall be investigating.

love Wizz

Guest user
Not applicable

Just to derail this serious thread for a silly moment, I passed a village today called Bra-sted (Kent) and saw a sign for Titsy estate I wonder if they have addresses like 40D Titsy...

Thanks for the advice, I am booking a christmas shopping trip to Bluewater once I know what my surgeon will be up to. Last christmas seems SO long ago..

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for that i did not realise you could get them at such a reasonable price. I will get my proper 'falsies' in about 4 weeks and i have heard a few horror stories about the stick on ones so i am keeping to the non sticky ones! Hope you are doing okay x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Biggles
The second M&S I went to carried the whole post op line. You can have a look online. They were reasonably priced and mine was just over £11.
I have a draw full of pre surgery bras and am hoping to go back to using them once 'sponge boob' is consigned to the bin and I have my silicone prosthesis. Has anyone used the self sticking prosthesis and if so how does it look and feel.
x

Guest user
Not applicable

I had bi-lateral nearly three weeks ago and today i wore my first bra post surgery. My sister-in-law sent me a lovely one from Figleaves, i have not looked to see what the price was, but it was a present so i am very happy and it looks great!!! I think i will be taking a trip to M&S shortly! x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there
Thanks for the advice. I went to a different M&S in the same area and found a very good selection of post-op bras and a very helpful assistant, just goes to show you how different stores vary. I am so pleased with my pocketed bra am off there on monday to buy some new ones.

I visited the Marks and Spencer store at Bluewater and they have
a small range of mastectomy bras in store in quite a wide range of
sizes and cups. They were all unwired and some of them were slightly padded. One looked very similar to a bra I wore before the operation -
but as luck would have it not in my size - although this particular
bra is quite possibly more popular than the others - they had very few left. I believe they are going to be on sale in more locations if
this is successful.

Rossco

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Elle
So sorry to hear about your dreadful experience after your surgery. I am not sure what size you are but as bra fitter myself and a lady who has had a mastectomy I know there are lots of other bras rather than the Doreen that you can wear.Give Betty and Belle a ring they are very helpful or look for Royce & Anita bras they offer wider ranges of non wired bras.
LilyO

Guest user
Not applicable

Elle, it might be worth you sending a note to the Customer Services section of your shop, as not only you but also the assistant had a horrible experience, and this was because she had not been properly prepared for a situation which was bound to arise sooner or later in her job. Shops do need to train their staff and provide appropriate support (sorry for the pun) for stressful situations. Your sense of humour will make sure it's a letter they remember!

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. I can now see the funny side of the whole thing but am amazed that I reacted that way as I have been very practical through diagnosis and surgery. It is such a shame that more high street shops don't stock suitable bras as it makes the whole experience of buying a simple item of clothing you have been wearing since age 11 into such a illicit operation. Maybe for the time being I will have to go the catalogue route but unfortunately needed one fairly urgently as no matter what I did with the 'softie' it seemed to end up under my chin. How a cushion is supposed to imitate my breast is beyond me even weighted down with rice it still managed to poke its ugly little head out. Coping with the big things seem easy its the little things that I know will prove a problem.

Hi
What an awful experience for you. I had a mastectomy in June. I was told about a small shop selling mastectomy bras near where I live. It is run by a lady who has had a mastectomy. I was measured there - by someone who knew what it was like to have only one breast.
I have also bought mastectomy bras and swimming costumes from Amoena and Nicola Jane - on line. They send them very quickly and have a good return policy if they don't fit or are not suitable.
Liz

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Elle,

So sorry you had such a hard time with this. It's often the things that should be simple that hurt the most. I had my mastectomy a month ago and have so far only managed to find one style of bra that fits. I have a small back and (now)1 large breast. Most companies, including M&S don't do my size (32FF).

I am lucky that there is a small lingerie shop in my town where the owner has had a bi-lateral mastectomy. She has been very understanding and measured me after the op. She then sourced the one manufacturer who makes post mastectomy bras in my size. I agree with Rossco, smaller places tend to be less exposed and more accommodating. Now that I know what fits I buy directly from the manufacturer online. In my case a company called Royce. Not cheap but I never could buy cheap bras anyway.

Hope this helps. If you want a link to the Royce website please feel free to send a private message. Good luck with future purchases.

Jan xx

elle

Nichola Jane based in Chichester do a wide range of masectomy
bras - they have a very comprehensive catalogue and do an
extremely good mail order service. Amoena who based in Chandlers
Ford have a very comprehensive catalogue and provide an excellent
mail order service. I have used both and they have a wide choice
of colours and styles. Marks and Spencers have also enlarged
their range but have not dealt with them yet.
I know how you feel about being embarrassed but being within an
hour and a halfs drive of Chandlers Ford and Chichester I have visited
both shops and was dealt with most sympathetically and because they
only sell these products they are small and you do not feel
quite so exposed.
Hope this is of smoe help

Rossco

Guest user
Not applicable

post mastectomy bra wars

Am now 9 days post mastectomy and all in all not feeling too bad physically. My biggest hurdle was going into Debs to buy a new bra, being on the larger breast(s) side the choice in the catalogues looked like something my granny would wear. I had measured myself taking advice from various web sites and putting measurements into an online sizing chart so had my size sorted out. Went into the shop could only find a Doreen (pre surgery looked at these with pity) had to ask an assistant to find my size to which she replied 'you look bigger than that I will measure you' Oh God that was like my world coming crashing down I stood there and managed with the use of excrutiating facial expressions and sign language to let this poor unsuspecting woman know I only had one boob. I started to well up she started to well up. Talk about ruining someones day. Anyway I was right I had measured correctly and am now the proud owner of two Doreen bras which I tried on in the shop and had checked by new friend to see if it was the right size. Out of this whole business the diagnosis, biopsy, surgery etc that was by far the worst thing I have had to deal with. You can make jokes to your family and friends but telling a complete stranger was a nightmare.