post mastectomy pain

Hi.I’m 3 weeks post mastectomy and am experincing nerve pain , burning , sensitive and painful under my arm pit and in the area above the scar. It came on a week after the op and is just as bad 2 weeks on. I know the nerves have to heal but am worried about post mastectomy pain syndrome where this goes on for years. I had a mastectomy last year for breast cancer, this one was to be balanced as I was so lop sided, but am worrying that I should never have had it done, though too late to say that now. Am so tired and with this horrid pain just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this or are going through it now? Had it last year but somehow it was different and more manageable. Many thanks and sorry for the moan!!
Maggie May

Dear Maggie

I am sorry to read that you are having a rough time of it, if it would help to talk your concerns through you are welcome to call our helpliners, they are here 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

You may find some of the information in the BCC ‘Your operation and recovery’ publication useful too:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/your-operation-recovery-bcc151

Take care

Lucy

Hi Maggie
I had bilateral Mx three years ago and had alot of pain, tingling and burning sensations to start with. This gradually subsided and even the numbness has improved over the years. It takes a long time for everything to settle down and heal. As you get more active again you will probably find that this helps the weird sensations as well. I do hope things get better soon…
best wishes
Maggy

Hi Maggie
I had my first mx in jan 2011 and then 2nd mx in jan 2012, it is only just recentley that Ihave started to feel “normal” I still have a lot of numb areas and chest is very tender, both scars are painful and ache when I am cold. I have found physio has helped a lot and I use bio oil on the scars I have very uncomfortable “dog ears” under both armpits but have no idea how to cope with them. Healing takes a very long time you have to be patient, speak to your bcn see if she has any ideas to help you cope.

Thank you Meggy and Milo, it’s good to know of others having gone through the same thing. Being patient is the key I guess but having read all about a post mastectomy pain syndrome mostly in USA posts I was afraid of it not getting better! Don’t know why as last years scar has healed with areas of numbness getting better. Milo agree about dog ears…really weird looking as well!! Hope you are both keeping well and thanks again. Maggie May

Hi Maggie May,
I’m glad I saw your post, its good to hear from you again. As you know I am now a year on from my mx. I remember having quite a painful area where the drain had been in, also the nerve pains you describe. As others have said, it does take quite a while for everything to settle down and I woiuld say that 3 weeks is still really early days. Your body has had a hard time and it will take some time to settle again. My chest area is still numb, as is my under arm, armpit and going round to my back. Having said that, its also quite tender at times and also still hurts sometimes. I realise thats all contradictory but its how it feels! I still use aqueous cream on the whole area as the skin still seems dry from the rads, also bio oil on the scar itself.
Are you doing your exercises? I am very lax about them now, although I am sure I would benefit from doing them but I am just too lazy! Take it easy and give your self time to get over the op. I am sure you will gradually feel better.
Hugs
Joan xx

Hi Joan, Lovely to hear from you again and thank you for this. I hope you are fine and well and the cats? I think you had a poorly one while going through all this last year. How did he/she do?
I wrote the first comment at 12.30 one morning after trying to sleep and feeling very low. Good old forums has comeup trumps again with some lovely ladies wiling to share and spur me on! Am still sore but I wonder if its because I haven’t had the nodes removed then I am not numb so am feeling more…think that may be a reason. This time was for syncronicity as they called it at the hospital…was so hugely unbalanced and do feel synchronised now!! (Sounds like a swimming competition with smiling ladies emerging from the pool!!) Will try and be a patient patient and stop moaning!!
Presumably you are through all the treatment and out the other side? Thank you for this and hope all is well,
Maggie May X

Hi Maggie
You know you can always come on here for a moan! We all understand each other, which is a wonderful thing! Glad you are feeling a bit brighter, things always seem worse at night, dont they?!
Yes, I have finished active treatment so am now on Tamoxifen. I had a couple of hic-coughs during chemo but got there in the end. Rads passed by without incident fortunately and I had my last session on sept 1st. I find now that I struggle sometimes emotionally but its to be expected really. Just finding it hard sometimes moving on, but this site and the ladies I have met through it are my security blanket, I dont know what I would do without them!
My little cat passed away while I was having chemo, last April. Gosh, it was a horrid time! However, we got another rescue cat in June, Cleo, she is 14 but is such a character and has taken over the house!
I hope you carry on feeling better. I am sure that in a couple of months time you will look back and realise how much better you feel. It will be wonderful for you to be synchronised, especially with the warmer weather (hopefully) round the corner. I do hope everything else has gone smoothly with your treatment too. Are you on hormone therapy now? I remember you had other health problems so I do hope that you coped with it all.
Take care Maggie
Joan xx

Hi Joan,
Yes am on arimidex. Seems OK and am happy to take it as was very positive to oestragen. Good to hear you have a new cat, she sounds great fun!. Last year was very full on wasn’t it and as you say moving on can be hard at times. I don’t come on as often as I think would be good as I always feel better for being on here and yes there is an understanding that you get no where else. Poor hubby has been a brick but has found it hard. Hopefully we can get a good year and really move on.
Good to hear from you and thank you for your post and hope you can move on, but that you can come on here when you need to.
Take care,
Maggie XX