post radiotherapy problem, my first post, eek!

I finshed treatment on 25th March and although very red and sore was doing well until last Friday. I’ve now got sort of crusty spots on part of the redness. It started by getting very itchy  for a day or three and now the itchy is getting worse in my armpit. I started by using the gel given to me by the hospital then used E45 saw the nurse on Thursday who reccommended either nothing but exposure to the air or aqueous cream or 99% pure alovera gel. So I did air  and some alovera, then this happened. So I now have tried air and aqueous cream. I don’t know what to do now. I run a busy hospitality business and have limited time to expose to air and am worried about infection. Honey is a good anti bacterial agent should I try honey? I can cope if I know how to deal with it.

Hi Poetical and welcome to the BCC forums where I am sure you will soon have the support and shared experiences you are looking for

Please also feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000, lines are open during the week 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2

Here’s a link to further support ideas from BCC which you may find helpful including our ‘Live chat’ which is held weekly on Thursday evenings 8.30-9.30 and you can ‘speak’ in real time to others with similar issues/experiences:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Poetical

I finished my rads on 27th March and last week one of my scars (under what’s left of my breast and over 8 in long) got very crusty again and tender.  I persisted with the aloe vera I’ve been using throughout, went braless to avoid any chaffing and this week it’s looking a bit weird (a bit of pink new skin in the middle) but the crustiness has gone so hopefully if you stick with it yours will do the same!