pregnancy after diep reconstruction

Hi everyone!
So I had my bilateral mastectomy with immediate diep reconstruction just over a year ago. I have been on the waiting list for further reconstructive surgery for the past 9 months.
I already have a 3yr old child and I didn’t think I wanted anymore kids due to a bad pregnancy but oh my goodness I’m feeling desperately broody now. I would wait until my next stage of reconstruction has been done (hopefully soon, feel like iv been waiting for forever) but have any ladies here became pregnant after diep? I’m scared as to how the scar would cope.
I feel like if i can’t have another child i will grieve heavily having lost a baby before i dont want this choice taken away from me.
Did i make the wrong decision having diep surgery? Sure feels like it.
Also… How do you ladies cope “in the bedroom” with your reconstructed breast? I don’t like my husband touching me as I’m numb across both breast and have no nipples!!
Sorry for the rambling post!
Xxx

Hi Harleygirl

I am going to be watching this thread soon as I was trying for a baby pre diagnosis and have just finished surgery for a unilateral mastectomy with immediate latissimus dorsi (LD) reconstruction.  I am still nippleless too :frowning:

I dont think there are any problems with my LD reconstruction except for tighening in the back as the belly grows, however it would be great to hear any ladies actual experiences.  I have also read stories on the internet of ladies who have become pregnant and have carried a baby full term with a diep reconstruction too so hopefully someone will come along soon that can help.

I am also wondering about the reconstruction breast in the bedroom.  Mine is currently being ignored and I keep it covered up as am still not confident with it on show.  I am still only 2 months post surgery so its all still a bit raw.  The numbness is strange isnt it? My husband has pretty much ignored it so far so am not sure how we are going to move on with it.  I did ask him how he feels about it and he is worried about hurting me.  I hope we will both get used to it in time!  Have you spoken to your husband about it?

x

Hi! Thank you so much for replying!
The numbness is totally odd, but I’m almost used to it!! I spoke to my husband who says similar to yours, it doesn’t bother him but he’s afraid to hurt me. He still goes in for a cheeky feel every now and again but I totally shudder and shut down when he does. It’s definatley my problem and not his!! So when we have been intimate i keep my bra on. And finding a nice sexy bra is near impossible with the shape/size iv been left with!
I hope we hear from someone who had fallen pregnant and carried to term, a positive story for us!! Xxx