probs with both boobs at once??

I know no-one can tell me the def answer but I have to go back for more views on the other side - they did extra of the “bad” side at clinic etc but now I hear from bcn that they want to check more of the other breast. I didn’t have an ultrasound either when I went so they want to do this too. Usually my boobs get really tender pre-menstrually, and lumpy, always have done and I have always had a thickened area on the “good side” that was put down as normal for me etc…I’m just gutted as I thought I was doing well - well I am, I’m being positive and I know its best to have it all checked but I’m just so terrified…I’m going in on mon for pre op assessment thingy and xray appts later the same afternoon which I was just putting down to being routine…anybody else had this sort of issue?? Thanks, Mary

I’m just going to have to be positive and see what they say next week - apparently this radiologist checks and rechecks and checks again according to a friend whose a nurse and works in the dept with her and has been thru mastectomy too - after all that was the boob that was always lumpy and particularly tender pre-menstrually so its best to check…xx

I know it’s really scary but even if there is bad news it’s not all bad. My Right boob was diagnosed with cancer so they checked the left side and found it was cancerous too so it can happen but it really helped in making some decisions as much as I was gutted at the time in hindsight I’m glad to have had a bilateral mastectomy. I’m now balanced (ie both sides are flat and actually I really don’t mind my new shape as I look fit and athletic now) and it’s not trouble brewing for the future. If they hadn’t checked I don’t even want to think about it… can you imagine, 1 year down or whatever and oops what’s this lump now. god no. So it’s good that they check now and deal with it now if there is more trouble.

Both of my tumours were grade 3 but the second one was less developed than the other side so could easily have been missed if they hadn’t made me do an ultrasound and mammogram.

I was 33 at the time… now one year down and bounding like a happy puppy again (I can actually out run a collie on my good days :wink:

So chin up, whatever happens you’ll get through it.

Oh and I did chemo but only once, 2 boobs doesn’t make any difference there fortunately.

Any questions… fire away.

Lots of love

Angie

hi angie - thanks so much for your post - they did a core biopsy on the "good"side - ie where I have always been very tender etc pre mensrually and was put down to normal for me - the radiologist says it looks benign but they have to check it anyway - and like you say I’d only worry if it wasn’t checked properly. So now I have an appt mon to see cons and if its ok it’ll be lumpectomy n nodes bit I’m assuming as he said - but not sure if they’ll want to remove other one too - I’d rather it was all done at once and part of me thinks if there’s changes or potential trouble brewing on the good side I’d rather have them both gone asap…x

Hi Kittenkat. IAfter a biopsy at the end of Nov, was diagnosed with lobular cancer on 12 Dec. Because it can be multicentric, I had to have an MRI, because there was a possibility of it being in more than one place on my right boob, and possibly in the left too. The MRI gave a clear result on the left, but showed another suspicious area on the right, so I had to have another biopsy, this time using mammogram equipment.

I had the result of that today and it is benign. So, I’ve just got one small lump in the right breast and I’ll have a lumpectomy on 12 Feb. It is 8 weeks since my first biopsy and it has seemed like an eternity. BUT they now know exactly what they are dealing with and it has been worth all the prodding, poking etc. If they hadn’t done all that, I might have had an mx unnecessarily. I know it’s REALLY scary, but it can turn out to be better than you think. I went into my appointment expecting the worst, having researched all the different reconstruction techniques etc.

So, what I’m saying is hold on in there kidda, you’ll get through this and hopefully with as good a result as me.

Hugs.
Sal x