70472members
370689posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

prophylactic surgery, exeptional funding?

2 REPLIES 2
alizzie

Re: prophylactic surgery, exeptional funding?

Hi Nicola

Thanks for your reply, i'm not far from your sister i am in bristol and it is frenchay hospital that is causing me all the problems. Will look on the bc pals webiste as you suggested.

Alizzie

No1Mummy

Re: prophylactic surgery, exeptional funding?

Hi Alizzie,

My sister is having preventative surgery at Bath. This is after our mum and grandma died from bc and after my own dx last year (at the age of 35). They can only test for the BRCA 1 or 2 gene against a living relative with bc. That was me. They tested me and I was negative but they still think it is likely to be genetic, i.e. an as yet undiscovered gene. Anyway, in spite of not being BRCA 1 or 2, my sister hasn't had any partic problems getting the operation.

I would say don't give up and keep on at them. Also, there's a lot of ladies at BC pals website (google it) who can give you more info on genetics and preventative surgery.

Nicola

alizzie

prophylactic surgery, exeptional funding?

I have been told by my local hospital that i am unable to have an appointment to see a surgeon about a prophylactic mastectomy and reconstruction because they think that it would need exceptional funding from the pct , this is currently being looked at by the contracts manager who hasnt decided if it is exceptional or not. Has anyone come across this problem?
I cant be tested for BRAC because my mother and grandmother are both dead but according to the genetist i am high risk. I have been waiting to see someone for nearly two years now and have been shoved from pillar to post so much i am getting upset with my GP and hospital, and just when i think i may see a surgeon they come out with this, if anyone has any info on this or has been through a similar thing please post me a reply

Thanks, Alizzie