prosthesis help

prosthesis help

prosthesis help hiya jus got my prosthesis n wondered if anyone knew if it was ok to swim with it or does it have to be removed! and also does anyone know about flying ie is it ok to jus go ahead onto the plane or to mention it would appreciate any help anyone can offer thanks joanne xxxx

I was advised by my BC nurse that it is okay to swim with a silicon prosthesis as long as you remember to rinse it in clean water afterwards. However you can also get a leisure form which tends to be more comfortable for sport and swimming. I have 2 that my nurse got for me- one that I keep in my swimsuit and another that I wear with strappy tops with hidden support. Whether or not you can get them for free will depend on your PCT. The leisure form is mostly sponge with some lead in it to give it some weight. Apparently you can fly okay with a silicon prosthesis however the leisure form can set off the scanners due to the lead.

Regards
Geraldine

i am using the leisure form for swimming, have bought a costume from nicola jane, in fact went and had a fitting with them for costume and bras.
sharon

prothesis help Hi there

I have several ‘swim prothesis’ as well as the foam leisure forms. The swim forms are much much lighter than normal silicone ones (Amoena, Nicola Jane etc. all sell these). I swim 3 times a week and have found the swim forms brilliant, a quick rinse out and they are lasting very well. I tried to swim in the foam form, but it does hold a lot of water and takes forever to dry, so only use that one in bikinis that I use for sunbathing and under strappy tops etc. ,

As to flying, I was told last year by the airport that I could not take any prothesis as handluggage , don’t know whether they thought I ‘smuggle’ explosives in them??? So I had to pack them and prayed that the luggage would safely arrive. I wore a leisure form for the flight as I have slight lymphoedema and they are more comfortable. They did set the alarm off and I just explained to the security girl that I was wearing a prothesis. SHe did a quick all ove scan (I did not have to undress or anything embarrassing like that) and then ushered me through the security.
Another little tip if you are going on holiday: Take all your meds in handluggage but do take your actual precription form as well, so you can prove to security that you have been precribed these drugs.
Hmmm haa , the joys of BC.

Enjoy your holiday if you are planning one soon. Off myself again SUnday for a quick week of sunshine and swimming.

Birgit

swimming Hi mojomac

I know you’ve just got your prosthesis but you might like to consider a stick on one. You can’t wear one until 6 months after mastectomy. I have an amoena contact light prosthesis and find it more comfortable to wear than the ones you put in your bra. It has silicone bumps on the back which stick to your skin provided you keep the prosthesis and your skin clean and dry. I have worn mine when I used to swim regularly and had no problems with it… Also it has the added bonus of being probably less noticable in the showers/changing rooms too.

Hope this helps
fantan

in the air I have flown many times wearing my silicon prosthesis…incluidng 4 times in the last week (in the spirit of European travel cancer re diagnosis denial strategy)

My only incident at customs was once just after rads when I had prosthesis in my hand luggage because I was too sore to wear it. Got a random check and the French secuirty officer pulled the prosthesis out of my bag (still in my bra), went bright red and quickly stuffed it back in.

Jane

Factsheet Hello mojomac

Below I have added a a link to a factsheet on Air travel and your prosthesis that you may find helpful.

breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=5761

Kind Regards

Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

Contact Breast Form Hi

I also have the Contact Breast Form (Amoena) and find it a lot better than haveing a pocket bra (feels more like me) and it is very comfortable. I do use a swim form prosthesis for when on holiday.
Never had any trouble flying with it .

Janet.