putting off radiotherapy

hi everyone,

has anyone else put off having their radiotherapy, i dont feel too good at the moment, either physically or mentally, i feel stressed and tired, i have finished 6 tax last one on the 29th april, i have since had a blood transfusion and my nails are rotten and dropping off,
i feel like i just need a break from treatment to gain some strength

any advice would be gratefully received,

love and best wishes liz xxxx

I finished6xfec 29apr,felt just like u,didnt want2start radio2day felt2tired,weak,drained,i went though because i just want it all over with asap!I slept when i got home thats all i do at the moment,i thought id feel ok by now…But we have nearly finished,so id say just do it and get it overxsarahx

hi sarah,

of course you are right, i will go even though i have had enough of everything at the moment, and it would be easier not to, and as you say just do it and get it over,

so i will,

cheers sarah, just what i needed,
love and best wishes liz xxxx

Glad2b of help,we have nearly finished.Yippee.Xsarahx

…not sure if this helps, but I saw my oncologist this morning who advised me that it is not critical to have radiotherapy as planned (4 weeks after op for me), as I can wait up to 6 months to have it. I will be moving house right in the middle of rads if I go ahead as planned so I asked if it was dangerous to postpone it.

He said that some people really dont feel well enough to go through it. If you start it and get unwell, it will be stopped anyway and that will be even more distressing.

So, if you need a break and want to postpone it until you are really well, check with your care team.

Annie

I was diagnosed 17th March, had a WLE & SNB on 18 April, I saw my Oncologist last Thursday 19th May, as we are getting married on June 18th, she has agreed that the rads can start after the wedding and a two week break also, so thats around the first/second week of July, she was quite happy and said that as long as it was within 16 weeks of the operation it was quite alright.

Hope that helps.

Hi, I did not put off having treatment myself. The fact is that I had an infection in my operated on boob and it took some while to clear up even with intravenous antibiotics in hospital. The point is that I had to wait for it to heal and the infection to clear up to have my radiotherapy. I have just been to “planning” today the 25th May and I start radiotherapy on the 2nd June next week. My operation was on the 7th March so there was some time in between, but I am not worried about it at all. If you dont feel well, then delay it for a bit.

hi everyone,

thanks ladies, well i went for my planning appointment today, it was fine, and was informed my radiotherapy will commence on the 9th june which is also ok.

i have decided to get it out of the way asap,

love and best wishes liz xxx

Posted on behalf of wicca

Hello For some reason RT scared me more than chemo! How wrong I was. I had 104 mile round trip every day for three weeks, I nearly talked myself into not having it.Mine was done at Carlisle and the staff and other patients were a laugh and I regained a lot of my strength and humour whilst having it done. Absolutely nothing changed on my skin (No sores or pink tinge etc) etc BUT afterwards for several months (about once a day) pain feeling like a red hot knitting needle lasting for about 1 second. I will never ever have chemo again, as for radio therapy an absolute doddle!! Regards, Wicca