327831posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

query cancer free

13 REPLIES 13

Re: query cancer free

Hi I was told they got all the cancer in surgery, and the surgeon said NED. I am 15 months out, but like venice25 and mary32, I don't want to jinx anything by saying I am cancer free or cured!
If something makes me happy, quite often thoughts of "It might come back" really puts a downer on things. I am slowly learning to control that ... very slowly!
Kess - I figure more good days than bad is a good plan tooSmiley Happy
x x

Yes I know what you mean. Everyone says how well I have coped this year, and mostly I have, but there are bound to be dark moments were the fear for the future kicks in hard. As long as there are more good days than bad, and the bad days aren't too bad, I figure that's ok.

Hi Kess

Thanks for your reply. I am ok was having a wobble, sometimes feel frighted to be optimistic like Mary said dont want to jinx anything I know it is daft just sometimes the whole breast cancer thing just gets the better of me love Gill    

I tend to explain i might be in remission or I might be cured, and there is no way of knowing.... So I just have to hope. NED doesn't mean much to the general public, but I do sometimes use the term, as it is accurate, and then explain it.
Being anxious about tests is totallyp normal. Hoping all is well with you.

Hello Mary

yes I totally agree with you re- jinx business. I have good periods and bad regarding being anxious about recurrence and try very much to not let it get me down. Thanks so much for replying its good to know people understand love Gill 

Hi Gill

I did use the expression cancer free when the surgeon told me I had clear margins.

I have, however, backtracked from that expression as it implies that there will be no recurrence, and while I don't worry constantly that I will get a recurrence, it is something that may happen so perhaps I feel as though I would be jinxing it by saying cancer free.

I have recently started saying that I am in remission and this feels much more accurate a description and is something most people understand without explanation, which cannot be said for Ned!

It is only natural to feel anxious coming up to the annual check up and I hope you feel better soon.

Mary

hello Weeannie

thanks for replying and yes, here is  hoping we get good results x

Hi venice25,

I was told by my oncologist that " you had breast cancer, you no longer have breast cancer", yet my surgeon said that I had a very good chance of being totally cured, but still have a 13% chance of it coming back in 10 - 15 years! Bit confusing, but I just think of myself as being in a better place now than when I was diagnosed a year ago. Like you, I'm due my first mammogram in the coming weeks. Here's hoping we both get cancer free (or NED results) x

Hello ladies and thankyou very much for your replies.Am a bit down at present as my 1st mammogram is due and my head is all over the place love Gill

Highlighted

My onc and surgeon both told me after surgery that I am now cancer free because they got everything, but I just bear in mind the 5 year survival rate as with most cancers.

I agree SamLee it seems to depend on where your treated and I think we should term it how we feel best and is right for us individually 

x

I think different medical people have different views on this just as patients have different views.  My medical team use the phrase cancer free after surgery has removed the lump, whether that is before or after chemo.  My onc and surgeon also use the term "cured" as my surgeon said to me that you are cured unless or until it comes back, just like any other illness, and I know a lot of people find that quite controversial.

Hi Venice

Im not sure if by cancer free you/they mean once the tumour is removed the cancer has been removed,  NED- no evidence of disease,  is how it seems to be put to patients now I am 2 1/2 years from dx and when I get my mammo results through this is what they say and to stay vigilant, Im not sure if the term cancer free is used with bc but I may be wrong,

xx

query cancer free

what exactly is deemed as cancer free